Would YOU fly for a major or regional China Carrier?

China Pilots Association

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
The reason I ask is because I work as a volunteer with the China Pilots Association and we constantly get requests for B737 and other pilots for scheduled air passenger, air freight, and charters, and despite $120K starting salaries, only the young low-hour pilots are applying. Why is this? China is a fun place to work (I've been here since 2008).

Don't we already have a CPA on the board ?

Because most of China is NOT fun and the companies are always trying to rip you off. The ATC system there is quite antiquated and run by the military (with the exception of Hong Kong). Why don't you go to PPRUNE forum and ask this same question ?

Are you only hiring typed pilots? Pay for my 737 type and don't make me sign a multi year contract, and I'll do it.

Because most of China is NOT fun and the companies are always trying to rip you off. The ATC system there is quite antiquated and run by the military (with the exception of Hong Kong). Why don't you go to PPRUNE forum and ask this same question ?

The reason I ask is because I work as a volunteer with the China Pilots Association and we constantly get requests for B737 and other pilots for scheduled air passenger, air freight, and charters, and despite $120K starting salaries, only the young low-hour pilots are applying. Why is this? China is a fun place to work (I've been here since 2008).

Yep, the Chinese are notorious for one sided contracts, the CAAC Medicals are beyond intrusive, Chinese airlines fine pilots for ridiculous "offenses" ( bounced landings, etc) copilots that speak little if any English, regulations that are ignored (rest is a big one).

My inbox is filled with request each week to come there and make the big money. Sorry, not worth the aggravation.

Yep, the Chinese are notorious for one sided contracts, the CAAC Medicals are beyond intrusive, Chinese airlines fine pilots for ridiculous "offenses" ( bounced landings, etc) copilots that speak little if any English, regulations that are ignored (rest is a big one).

My inbox is filled with request each week to come there and make the big money. Sorry, not worth the aggravation.

You fly out of Singapore, correct?

IMO, $120K isn't nearly enough money to convince someone to move from the US unless they're still young enough (or without family, etc) to be willing/able to chase the adventure. The market has changed substantially over here in last couple of years - the experienced guys aren't as desperate as they used to be. :)

And that's not even considering the realities of working in aviation over there (as noted above).

IMO, $120K isn't nearly enough money to convince someone to move from the US unless they're still young enough (or without family, etc) to be willing/able to chase the adventure. The market has changed substantially over here in last couple of years - the experienced guys aren't as desperate as they used to be. :)

My last Chinese offer was $298,000/year.

Like I said, not worth the aggravation.

My last Chinese offer was $298,000/year.

That's indeed a lot of money, but I certainly wouldn't leave my current job for it. That's good to hear that I'm not nuts!

That's indeed a lot of money, but I certainly wouldn't leave my current job for it. That's good to hear that I'm not nuts!

There's a reason the rates are going up in China. The attrition rate is quite high.

In typical Chinese fashion they feel throwing more money out there will fix it.

There are a lot of factors beyond money that keep individuals from relocating half way around the globe within a culture significantly different than their own. And $120K a year doesn't begin to entice someone other than a newly rated, debt-ridden young pilot.

What are the entry level requirements they're looking for?

Not aviation, but I have a nephew working in Shanghai. He works for Chrysler, and had no choice but to go.

He hates it.

Why isnt anyone questioning where their maintenance people are trained....?! :hairraise:

And do they use Harbor Freight tools...:rolleyes:

I was on a tour in the Soviet Union in 1989 that was led by an American tour guide who had recently finished leading a tour in China. He told me about a domestic flight where the Chinese airline overbooked the flight, so they put folding chairs in the aisle to accommodate everyone.

Another oddity, they handed out gifts to passengers. One flight, the gift was a nail clipper. The whole flight, passengers were busy clipping - clipping - clipping.

Hopefully they've improved the safety practices for seating since then. And found less annoying gifts to issue.

Back