Would you do this?

Hard braking is almost 100% controllable by the driver. If you don't believe me, ask any truck driver that works for a company which measures (and terminates employment for) excessive hard braking events. Add and maintain an extra 10' (for a car, 25' in a semi) of space between you and those in front of you and 99% of your hard braking events go away.

And accelerometers in cars might catch that or they might just be triggered by other stupid crap like washboard roads.

It’s a $3 component deciding if you’re driving well with software written by an insurance company coder.

Guess how accurate it is and which way the code “leans” if it can’t decide.

If anything, the built in ones in the vehicles will at least be somewhat more accurate. The real question is, who’s data is it, who owns it, and who’s allowed to download it from your vehicle with or without your knowledge after an accident.

Some vehicles will upload it somewhere too, as you know from commercial driving. Whether that’s appropriate in private driving will be an interesting question for the courts. Can someone opt-out of that upload?

Most manufacturers have been spying on driving behavior from computers in vehicles for a long time now for maintenance and warranty claims. Take a car to a dealer that you’ve abused and they’ll know it.

Hard braking is almost 100% controllable by the driver. If you don't believe me, ask any truck driver that works for a company which measures (and terminates employment for) excessive hard braking events. Add and maintain an extra 10' (for a car, 25' in a semi) of space between you and those in front of you and 99% of your hard braking events go away.

If I slowed down every time I saw someone at a stop sign on a cross street or parking lot exit I'd never get above 25. The only thing that's as frequent as T-Bone accidents out here due to people pulling out when they shouldn't seems to be head on accidents from people passing when they shouldn't.

If I slowed down every time I saw someone at a stop sign on a cross street or parking lot exit I'd never get above 25. The only thing that's as frequent as T-Bone accidents out here due to people pulling out when they shouldn't seems to be head on accidents from people passing when they shouldn't.

Out rural here, we get the speeders passing and either hitting people head on on the two lane or losing control and rolling in a ditch. Very few intersection accidents even with them mostly all being four way stops. We also get the occasional drunk rolling a car or high schoolers speeding and rolling at night killing people.

In town, most of what I see is people who want to speed but can’t, because of traffic, so they follow too close and hit people who are braking. Occasionally a red light runner or late left turner smacked by car who has the green to go straight.

It’s amazing what you see people doing when you’re a speed limit driver who stays as out of the way as possible until the road clogs solid in town.

You have plenty of time to watch the idiocy and lane weaving and what not. Just like the truckers do. And you show up next to them at the stop lights and get to the same places they’re going within three minutes of their time, that they feel all “accomplished” having weaved lanes like an ass-hat all the way there.

What irks me to no end is the dolts who leave two full car lengths between them and the guy ahead -- at the stop light. It's especially nice when they manage to block the entry to the turn lane because their Avalon is taking enough room for a semi and a 20-mule team and wagon. They're generally sitting there focused on their bloody phone, so forget trying to make the light. They'll sit there playing Words with Friends or whatever until someone honks. I prefer a gentle bumper tap from behind, but my wife inexplicably has a problem with me doing that.

Back