Would you buy this airplane?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
A Waco YMF that crashed in the water and over 15 years later was completely rebuilt and signed off as airworthy by the factory (the current factory)?

Look at it this way, the original aircraft was built from a pile of wood and metal, yet it seemed to be able to fly (at least for a while) after it was completed.

Depends upon the discount.
Well, let's just say that a brand new Waco YMF will run ya around $400K. A slightly used one will run probably $250-350k. They are asking only $130k for this one which is cheaper than the originals from the 30's and 40's right now.

Well, let's just say that a brand new Waco YMF will run ya around $400K. A slightly used one will run probably $250-350k. They are asking only $130k for this one which is cheaper than the originals from the 30's and 40's right now.
YMF = the Jake 220 engine, great support for both the aircraft and engine... in a heart beat. (with your cash)

do you know why they are so expensive?

like a divorce, they are worth it.

Why do you hesitate? wrong color?

do you know why they are so expensive?
Probably the same reason new Pipers and Cessnas are so bloody expensive - they have to deal with the liability issues that brought GA manufacturing to its knees in the '80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Probably the same reason new Pipers and Cessnas are so bloody expensive - they have to deal with the liability issues that brought GA manufacturing to its knees in the '80s.

No, each is built by hand, labor is expensive.

Why do you hesitate? wrong color?
I can live with the color. Mostly trying to decide whether I really want a YMF. The price on this one is right, but for a little more, I can get an original/restored UPF-7. Talked to a few Waco folks and it sounds like the UPFs were actually better planes.

Plus, I'm a little skeptical of a deal that sounds a little too good to be true, especially after my recent experience with the SNJ pre-buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Talked to a few Waco folks and it sounds like the UPFs were actually better planes.

Don't allow other folks opinions to prevent you from buying a great aircraft.

go try it on for size.

which has the better support.

What are you going to use it for is my only question. If the plane suits a mission you have for it, I wouldn't turn it away because of the damage history that's for sure, if that's the question involved it's a non issue for me. It's such a limited use aircraft though it would be very hard for me to justify if I didn't have a job for it, and even the jobs are tough to keep up with as the market only bears so much for an open cockpit ride.

I researched one for a gig to haul the bride and groom off from a waterfront wedding to a waterfront honeymoon suite using one on floats and there wasn't even a way to make that work.

If you want one of the prettiest planes of the genre as your personal fine weather flyer and to go airshow hopping, it's a damned nice choice.

What are you going to use it for is my only question. If the plane suits a mission you have for it, I wouldn't turn it away because of the damage history that's for sure, if that's the question involved it's a non issue for me. It's such a limited use aircraft though it would be very hard for me to justify if I didn't have a job for it, and even the jobs are tough to keep up with as the market only bears so much for an open cockpit ride.

I researched one for a gig to haul the bride and groom off from a waterfront wedding to a waterfront honeymoon suite using one on floats and there wasn't even a way to make that work.

If you want one of the prettiest planes of the genre as your personal fine weather flyer and to go airshow hopping, it's a damned nice choice.

The mission- fun weekend flyer that harkens back to the 30s and 40s. Something I can take my two daughters with for pancake breakfasts and share my love for flight. Something that I can take my wife with for weekend getaways when the grandparents take the kids.

That is a big reason why I like Wacos. Front seat fits two....and my wife likes the way they look, which helps a great deal!

Now, if you are wondering why I was looking at the SNJ.....well, let's just say that was a childhood dream of mine and the price was too good to pass up....it was also too good to be true-failed the prebuy.....miserably.

I am considering the YMF, but to be honest, from the folks I have talked to in the past few days, the original UPF-7s were better overall airplanes and there are at least 3 of those available in my price range. Also, to be totally honest, I really like the look of the speed ring cowl much better than the fully enclosed blister type and when the prices are close, personal preference make a big difference.

The mission- fun weekend flyer that harkens back to the 30s and 40s. Something I can take my two daughters with for pancake breakfasts and share my love for flight. Something that I can take my wife with for weekend getaways when the grandparents take the kids.

That is a big reason why I like Wacos. Front seat fits two....and my wife likes the way they look, which helps a great deal!

Now, if you are wondering why I was looking at the SNJ.....well, let's just say that was a childhood dream of mine and the price was too good to pass up....it was also too good to be true-failed the prebuy.....miserably.

I am considering the YMF, but to be honest, from the folks I have talked to in the past few days, the original UPF-7s were better overall airplanes and there are at least 3 of those available in my price range. Also, to be totally honest, I really like the look of the speed ring cowl much better than the fully enclosed blister type and when the prices are close, personal preference make a big difference.

Then it or the UPF-7 will suit you just perfectly. We have just come up with another problem though, your mental state has come into question. Anybody that thinks a UPF -s prettier than a YMF is freaking nuts....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Then it or the UPF-7 will suit you just perfectly. We have just come up with another problem though, your mental state has come into question. Anybody that thinks a UPF -s prettier than a YMF is freaking nuts....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh I KNOW my mental state is questionable....I went ahead with that SNJ prebuy even after two friends who own their own T-6s told me I was nuts.

Oh I KNOW my mental state is questionable....I went ahead with that SNJ prebuy even after two friends who own their own T-6s told me I was nuts.

No, that's delusional fantasy, that has an AME exemption, this is just downright 'not right'...:rofl:

Back