Would I Get in Trouble If...

HerrGruyere

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Pistol Pete
...I were to speak in a goofy accent on the radio?

I've had this super strong urge to just speak in a goofy accent the whole time on the radio. It's dumb, but I really wanna do it. Sometimes we have legit accents, like the Australian helo pilot at the field or the Indian fella that lands. Sometimes, though, I chuckle when I hear someone's accent on the radio.

I know I know. You're not supposed to be a comedian in the air because flying is serious business. But damn it. I just wanna do it once. The guy in the tower always sounds so grouchy when I call him. Maybe I might brighten his day.

Maybe I might brighten his day.

Or maybe not, he may assign you the title of Anal Orifice. In cruder terms.

If you want to see what people think of clowns on the radio, google 'plane lands on beach kennedy airport' and look around for an audio link. "Roger" or should I say Raaaajaaaaa! will probably never fly again.

If you want to be a comic, go to a stand-up comedy club.

-Skip

Who's to say that if he's consistent that it's not his normal voice?

Who's to say that if he's consistent that it's not his normal voice?

I would definitely follow the rules and read back everything correctly. Maybe I really am from the UP.

I won't do it, though. It's definitely funnier in my head than it is in real life.

When you use a funny accent at the drive through, do you brighten the fast food workers day? No.

So when you use a funny accent in the air talking to ATC (which is a little more serious than the BK Lounge) will they find it funny? No.

When you use a funny accent at the drive through, do you brighten the fast food workers day? No.

So when you use a funny accent in the air talking to ATC (which is a little more serious than the BK Lounge) will they find it funny? No.

Lighten up. If ATC can understand you, what's the harm? The purpose of communication is the effective exchange of ideas. If that occurs, what else is there?

Lighten up. If ATC can understand you, what's the harm? The purpose of communication is the effective exchange of ideas. If that occurs, what else is there?

I took it that he wanted to do it to brighten the "grouchy" controllers day.

I'd say at an uncontrolled field you could have all the fun you wanted.

That controller is permanently grouchy, anyway. I think if it were a small, not-very-active field, like KLUA, I might consider it. But I usually don't. The only time so far where I've done something silly like this is when I said I have information papa, but I said it like, "Paahpaaaah" in jest because the controller issuing the ATIS said it like that. My CFI dared me to do it! Nobody said anything.

Also, for the record, if I worked at a drive-thru and someone came through with a goofy accent, I might chuckle. I used to pretend I was German at some of my old retail jobs. It was believable due to my German fluency. It was fun, but nobody gives a crap most of the time.

When I was doing my instrument training, someone came on 122.8 acting like Daffy Duck. It was incredibly distracting and just made the frequency harder to understand. That was the only time I've actually told someone to shut up on the frequency.

We had a controller record ATIS information India in an Indian accent one day. We all thought it was funny including one of our Indian flight students. His boss didn't agree. He got some unpaid time off.

Haha aw that would have made me laugh if I heard that on the ATIS.

When I was doing my instrument training, someone came on 122.8 acting like Daffy Duck. It was incredibly distracting and just made the frequency harder to understand. That was the only time I've actually told someone to shut up on the frequency.

That would be difficult to understand.

Whelp, I sure am glad I asked here before I did something stupid.

I probably wouldn't have done it, anyway.

If you want to see what people think of clowns on the radio, google 'plane lands on beach kennedy airport' and look around for an audio link. "Roger" or should I say Raaaajaaaaa! will probably never fly again.

-Skip

Holy smokes. It's not like the controller didn't try to counsel them. And there they are strolling on the beach while the helo and fire truck are rolling to their emergency.

Last edited:
I believe in having fun flying but its also a time to be serious. I mean your operating a complex piece of machinery at realtivly high speeds. I think it your flying in to a place like 6Y9er and you want to goof a bit with your friends on the ground listing in on their hand helds thats one thing but ATC eh thats another. Lets say for a moment your talking is some accent and then you have an emergency, well your gonna switch back to your normal dialect and I suspect it could get confusing to the controller.

I've had this super strong urge to just speak in a goofy accent the whole time on the radio. It's dumb, but I really wanna do it. Sometimes we have legit accents, like the Australian helo pilot at the field or the Indian fella that lands. Sometimes, though, I chuckle when I hear someone's accent on the radio.

I know I know. You're not supposed to be a comedian in the air because flying is serious business. But damn it. I just wanna do it once. The guy in the tower always sounds so grouchy when I call him. Maybe I might brighten his day.

Not a big issue so long as you are understood. Levity on the radio is not unheard of. In the wee hours of the morning over Kansas with one SWA red eye on frequency we were entertained by ATC telling us jokes.

It's all situational, there's a time for everything, you have to use your best judgement there.

Haha aw that would have made me laugh if I heard that on the ATIS.

That would be difficult to understand.

Whelp, I sure am glad I asked here before I did something stupid.

I probably wouldn't have done it, anyway.

There is a fine line between funny and stupid, I often have fun with ATC on the radio affecting an accent here or there. Again, timing is everything and make sure you are understood.

When I hear people speak with an accent I just assume it's their real accent and don't find it either funny or not funny.

I had a friend tell me about this guy in his company that would switch accents when he was handed off from controller to controller. Probably pretty funny when the tower and ground controller is the same person!

When I hear people speak with an accent I just assume it's their real accent and don't find it either funny or not funny.

Right, an affected accent is only potentially funny if it is a difference which reveals something humorous.

I've got a (French Canadian) buddy that works as a contract pilot for few
corps. He happened to work a trip for one - to their Quebec factory. The only
FBO on the airport was typically rude and generally unhelpful. Ditto Canadian
Customs & Immigration.

Everything changed when he made his first trip:

Hangar? No problem!
De-ice? No problem!
Catering? No problem!
Paperwork? Close enough!
Need another car? No problem!
Late arrival? No problem!
Early departure? No problem!

The salary'd pilot now jokes that Michele is Required Equipment for their
trips to Quebec.

Last edited:
Hello flower in the tower, what's the runway of the hour?

...you won't get in trouble, it probably won't be a safety issue, but you'll likely get branded a 'tool' by the controller. And if other people fly the same plane as you, they might not appreciate the "special" treatment they get when the controller recognizes the N number.

As a pilot, I would hope you have more self control than to give into inpulsive pranks on the radio. Then again, I occasionally have to turn down COM 2 when people start making farting noises over the guard frequency, so I guess it's not entirely uncommon.

What?? People make farting noises on the guard frequency? That's absurd!

However, I did chuckle at the thought of it. I'm kind of a kid at heart.

Because that isn't all that occurs. The effective exchange of ideas is impeded by goofiness.

What?? People make farting noises on the guard frequency? That's absurd!

However, I did chuckle at the thought of it. I'm kind of a kid at heart.

I cannot type what I heard at / around Half Moon Bay on this board. It was very childish and very offensive. Since I was still on ATC (Nor Cal) and had been cleared through the Bravo, I monitored the CTAFS of airports I was flying over on Comm 2 which got confusing because it was like listening to a million voices. I think that was only my BF's second flight and he looked at me like "WTF" when he heard it. I explained to him that it was a pilot making fun of another pilot on the radios using a silly accent.

Wait now I am remembering more. There were two (non American) pilots using the CTAF to speak to one another in ANOTHER LANGUAGE. As you know, the CTAF is busy and best used only for needed communications such as position reports within the pattern. I guess this American guy was upset with them for having a secret conversation in their own native language. So he made fun of them.

Ouch. I wouldn't blatantly imitate another pilot like that unless we were friends or something.

Edit: Oh! That's even worse! Although I understand and can speak German, I could imagine two Germans having a conversation in German on the CTAF would be distracting. However, being rude and mocking them in order to have them stop would also be bad. I'd probably just tell them to please take the conversation elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oh and one time (only once in almost 8 months of training) my CFI did something silly on the radio.

As a student in 2011, I had never flown formation and was clueless as to what was going on. Now, almost a year later, I can look back on it and understand. At the time it happened, I simply laughed at him, because I had no idea.

Some pilots were using the CTAF (they probably should have been using an air to air frequency) for the "count". You would hear a pilot say "one" and then another say "two" and yet another say "three" and so on. After the final pilot in the formation announced his number (probably four), my CFI came on and said "five" to screw with them. I giggled.

I look forward to "Talk like a pirate day" on the radio.

ATC: Navion 5327K Cleared for takeoff.
27K: Arrrr!
ATC: 27K Ident.
27K: Thar be yer button matey.

I talk in different voice on the radio all the time. ****ed off middle eastern guy is one of my favorites.

"Skyhawk 61F proceed direct MARCS"

"I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO MARCS" (In middle eastern voice)

If you are serious, then, what do they say back to you when you tell them you don't wanna go somewhere?

They repeat. I neglected to mention that this was my buddy Travis working San Antonio approach, so he knew it was me. He just repeated "Proceed direct MARCS" and I answered in my normal voice.

I talk in different voice on the radio all the time. ****ed off middle eastern guy is one of my favorites.

"Skyhawk 61F proceed direct MARCS"

"I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO MARCS" (In middle eastern voice)

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

He does not want to see a grown man naked.

They repeat. I neglected to mention that this was my buddy Travis working San Antonio approach, so he knew it was me. He just repeated "Proceed direct MARCS" and I answered in my normal voice.

Yes, that is an important part you left out. But if you have it on liveATC archives I would LOVE to hear it.

Back