Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Worsthedlineever.jpg
    Worsthedlineever.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 325
I guess I'm missing something. Other than the fact that the crash itself was horrific, what's the issue with the headline?

You can read it as the plane transporting the bodies crash landed in Eindhoven.

And up till now, that's exactly how I was reading it... No wonder I couldn't find anything about it online!

I must be missing something here. How else do we read interpret that headline?

A much better way to have written it would have been:

Dutch Military plane, carrying bodies from Malaysia Flight 17 crash arrives in Eindhoven.

I read it and thought. Wow, to die in a plane crash is fate kicking you in the balls! But, to endure another plane crash is just down right spiteful. A comma every once in a while, is a wonderful thing!

A much better way to have written it would have been:

Dutch Military plane, carrying bodies from Malaysia Flight 17 crash, arrives in Eindhoven.

FTFY. Appositives should be sealed off with commas on each end.

And thank you, bluesky. I was about to post the exact same thing before you beat me to it!

I used to abuse commas. In college I had to train myself to read through anything I wrote and remove all the commas that didn't belong, or at least match them up. I am a big believer in the Oxford comma.

And the idiots who write those sloppy headlines claim to have degrees in journalism and English. :dunno:

And the idiots who write those sloppy headlines claim to have degrees in journalism and English. :dunno:

Or perhaps stupid interns? Gotta look out for them during the summer.

So wait a minute, it didn't crash? :rolleyes2:

give the reporter a break. he probably emailed his report and didn't want to waste his data plan on commas.

Last edited:
Why do you guys think that reporters having anything to do with what is sent out on the Twitter feed?

Social media is mostly staffed by unpaid interns hoping to get a full time gig.

Wonder if the folks posting the tweet were ESL (as in: the headline was translated from another language). One thing is for certain: there is little or no editor involvement on many tweets.

There was another stupid one this morning on AP. It popped up on my ipad.

"Kerry lands at Tal-Aviv despite FAA ban."

I looked for it later and it was gone.

Back