Worst Flight I've Ever Flown - Many Mistakes

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
So I debated whether or not to post about Saturday's flying, since I did not do very well.

Another member on here went with me (Aeric) so I do have a witness.

Just so you know, I am NOT looking for anyone make me feel better or say "it is ok."

What I did made me realize how far I have to go. I knew I wasn't ready for passengers (Young Eagle, for example, or Angel Flight)..... but WOW this was bad.

Sure, I haven't flown in a month or two, and sure, I have only a few flights in this plane, and sure, it handles A LOT differently than the 150, but still. No excuses.

I went on a nice XC to this cute little airport, Booneville. Though I often putt around my home airport and do nothing but sightseeing, I decided I need to experience true flying regardless of cost. I need the hours for lots of things (IR, Angel Flight, etc).

Trust me when I say now I know why cross country flying is so much different than anything else.... and why these types of hours are required for so many different things.

Everything was OK until I got there and overflew to look at the wind sock.... this tiny place has no AWOS or anything. I have no idea why, but I could not get set up properly for TPA etc.... I guess I scared myself a bit and decided to go away and then come back, on a downwind and / or 45. That didn't work, and after several more tries (no planes around, just me, nobody on frequency either I checked).... I got really spooked and just decided to do everything on a long straight in final.

At this point I was:

Embarrased (pilot with me)
Nervous
Ashamed
Scared
Upset with myself (some climbs and descents were not performed very well)
Etc.

The landing wasn't that great either, and after touch down I had issues with the rudders / staying on centerline / moving off to the side - very strange.

My thoughts so far were something like this:

Petaluma is the ONLY place I have ever flown / landed this plane. Just got checked out in it since I need a 172 for taller / bigger people, more stuff / people . . . speed, etc. This has the 180hp conversion kit and is very stiff on the controls (rudders mostly).

The sight picture is very different and I should have used a cushion (to put me closer to the rudder pedals and get rid of the gansta lean since it was too far leaned back).

Petaluma's runway is almost DOUBLE the length of Booneville's runway. This could help explain why, even when I slowed things down to 80 knots, I felt "rushed" and like things were happening too fast for me to do the whole downwind / base / final stuff.

I was WAY WAY WAY too close to the runway on downwind. This shortened my base and final enough to scare me away.

So many other things went wrong I feel they set off some sort of suckey chain of events.

So this whole time (with one exception), the other pilot was very calm about the whole thing, and after he helped me tie down the plane, we walked into Booneville and had some food.

Unfortunately, all this extra flying (and a few other unplanned events) got us back to the airport later than expected. It wasn't pitch black yet, and perhaps not even technically night time but that did not help. The airport is not lit and there are small mountains / hills around, ranging from 1,000 - 3,000 feet. I decided to go home at 5,500 - more than I needed but at night I like that.

My takeoffs that day were OK but not very good. Definitely safe but even with one notch of right rudder trim my leg shook to keep the ball centered. Next time I'll try two notches to the right since I'm so weak.

The flight back was a great success, nothing went wrong, and I paid much more attention to what I was doing, saying things out loud etc. Night cross countries can be amazingly fun and beautiful.

I was about to run out of night currency, so I decided to do three takeoffs and landings when we got back.

Unfortunately, the PTT wasn't bringing up the lights but his spare radio did the trick. My approach was a bit high and I had to slip to get down on a landing. I tried to fix this on the other ones but it was pretty high.... I did lengthen my downwind at one point to fix this.

I also had issues with the flaps (easy to add more than 10, forgot to go 10, 20, 30, etc....)

Though I feel the approaches were OK and slow enough (60 - 70) for some reason I would land rather flat or even come back off the ground again.

Looking back, I know that an airplane won't come off the ground again if it is fully stalled and slow enough, so duh I wasn't slow enough. Super frustrating since this hasn't happened to me since my training and even then only EARLY ON.

What is even more upsetting is that I never got better, you can't imagine how angry I was going in circles making the same damn mistakes each time.

I was more upset and confused after we landed and put the plane back than I've ever been. I questioned my training, money spent, the works. I mentally made plans to hire a CFI (I don't love the one I got and they have 3 more) and pay for 1-2 hours at two nearby "tiny" airports, so that I can practice my pattern work there. Lucky for me they are only a few minutes from Petaluma and even smaller than Booneville.

First, you, your passenger, and the aircraft are all fine and will fly again. I honestly don't see the problem.

Second, it gets better. Don't expect everything to be perfect at once. I've got a decade and 500 hours under my belt, and not everything is perfect every time.

I don't have many photos but I do have some video of the sight seeing along the way (there is a temple). When I upload I will post it - just an awesome place to go see.

But this brings up a good point about cross country logging:

Scenario #1 - I fly a "Bay Tour" in addition to my XC. The "Bay Tour" involves me flying South and then North for about 1.2 hours total - however, if I do NOT land at Petaluma, and then fly 58nm (straight line) distance to Booneville, do I log the 2-3 hours flying time or just the non Bay Tour time? In other words, do I subtract the 1.2 hours I flew down South and putted around?

Scenario #2 - I fly from Petaluma to Booneville. 58nm straight line distance. I do not fly in a straight line, and waste time by taking the coastal route, circling the temples for a video, and even going around the runway at Booneville many times before attempting to land. Can I log all this wasted time?

Scenario #3 (My actual flight) see number 2 above but add 3 takeoffs and landings once I get back to Petaluma for night currency. Should I have made a note of the Hobbs before I did the "extra" landings or does the whole thing count as XC time?

Note that we are talking less than 3 hours total for Saturday (I think it was 2.3 Hobbs) so those "wasted" times can't add up to more than an hour or so.

Rust gathers fast on young steel. It also goes away pretty quick with a little use.

The fact that you feel bad about your performance is a good thing, as long as you use it as motivation to do better. Don't let it make you think you're not cut out for flying or something else stupid. We all have bad days.

Well, on the bright side... you recognized the problem(s) and have a plan to make it better. I feel for you, had a crap flight myself the other day. You're way ahead of me, I can understand how it would tick you off though.

I just look at it this way. I can get into any car, minivan, SUV or truck, drive it anywhere, park, back into a driveway, whatever -- with no problem. But there was a time when it really threw me just getting into an unfamiliar rental car, or having to navigate on a new city. That's where you're at with airplanes right now. Me, I'm still the kid knocking over cones in the parking lot in Driver's Ed.

Well, on the bright side... you recognized the problem(s) and have a plan to make it better. I feel for you, had a crap flight myself the other day. You're way ahead of me, I can understand how it would tick you off though.

I just look at it this way. I can get into any car, minivan, SUV or truck, drive it anywhere, park, back into a driveway, whatever -- with no problem. But there was a time when it really threw me just getting into an unfamiliar rental car, or having to navigate on a new city. That's where you're at with airplanes right now. Me, I'm still the kid knocking over cones in the parking lot in Driver's Ed.

Thanks, but, after talking to you personally one on one I feel you know a lot more than I do. I was really impressed with your studies and knowledge.

Cross Country's really aren't any different than any other type of flying. Other than landing at a new field its pretty much just flying. If you are that uncomfortable with it after two months out of the saddle then it may help to get a CFI to fly with before the XC.

I don't fly Cessnas and have never heard "notches of rudder" I've only heard it with regard to notches of flaps. Is this something unique to 172s? Also a young person such as yourself should not have any issue (stregnthwise) in keeping appropriate rudder inputs in during a crosswind, you might want to see or ask if there is a bind in the rudder cable or perhpas some other obstruction. I once had a birdnest bind up the rudder. ( found it on the ground obviously)

I don't have many photos but I do have some video of the sight seeing along the way (there is a temple). When I upload I will post it - just an awesome place to go see.

But this brings up a good point about cross country logging:

Scenario #1 - I fly a "Bay Tour" in addition to my XC. The "Bay Tour" involves me flying South and then North for about 1.2 hours total - however, if I do NOT land at Petaluma, and then fly 58nm (straight line) distance to Booneville, do I log the 2-3 hours flying time or just the non Bay Tour time? In other words, do I subtract the 1.2 hours I flew down South and putted around?

Scenario #2 - I fly from Petaluma to Booneville. 58nm straight line distance. I do not fly in a straight line, and waste time by taking the coastal route, circling the temples for a video, and even going around the runway at Booneville many times before attempting to land. Can I log all this wasted time?

Scenario #3 (My actual flight) see number 2 above but add 3 takeoffs and landings once I get back to Petaluma for night currency. Should I have made a note of the Hobbs before I did the "extra" landings or does the whole thing count as XC time?

Note that we are talking less than 3 hours total for Saturday (I think it was 2.3 Hobbs) so those "wasted" times can't add up to more than an hour or so.

You can log total flight time for all three scenarios you mentioned. From start of taxi to shutdown, hobbs time, (or however you personally measure)

Cross Country's really aren't any different than any other type of flying. Other than landing at a new field its pretty much just flying. If you are that uncomfortable with it after two months out of the saddle then it may help to get a CFI to fly with before the XC.

I don't fly Cessnas and have never heard "notches of rudder" I've only heard it with regard to notches of flaps. Is this something unique to 172s? Also a young person such as yourself should not have any issue (stregnthwise) in keeping appropriate rudder inputs in during a crosswind, you might want to see or ask if there is a bind in the rudder cable or perhpas some other obstruction. I once had a birdnest bind up the rudder. ( found it on the ground obviously)

Most replied they had not heard of this rudder trim on a 172 either. I am assuming it was there since the controls are so stiff. I will ask them about it - the thing has two "notches" to the right and left. I don't have a photo but there is a knob that you use with a metal lever. You lift up and then it clicks into each notch.

What I am trying to say is there is no trim wheel. The levels of trim are pre-defined in cut out notches.

I honestly think it was the plane and the short runway. I've done a few XC's now and was never uncomfortable with the pattern work (then again, they were to huge towered airports). In fact, after spending almost 6 hours and 500nm XC on my last flight, I thought I was doing a lot better. That was in the little 150.

The POH for some 172s recommend a speed range for final. Fly your final at 60kts and forget the range. Trim for 60. When you pull power, do NOT let the speed get away from you.

Make that ONE change and your landings will improve. Let me know how that goes and then I'll give you #2. Promise it will work.

Most replied they had not heard of this rudder trim on a 172 either. I am assuming it was there since the controls are so stiff. I will ask them about it - the thing has two "notches" to the right and left. I don't have a photo but there is a knob that you use with a metal lever. You lift up and then it clicks into each notch.

What I am trying to say is there is no trim wheel. The levels of trim are pre-defined in cut out notches.

We have rudder trim on our 172s. This is a google photo, but it is the knob/slit directly between the trim wheel and fuel selector.

image16492.jpg

Thanks, but, after talking to you personally one on one I feel you know a lot more than I do. I was really impressed with your studies and knowledge.
Knowin' it and doin' it are two VERY different things. I spent an hour last week proving that. By the end of it both I and my CFI were ready to call it quits.

I didn't see any dangerous stuff in your description. I guarantee that if you keep flying to unfamiliar airports, you'll get better at overflight and 45 degree pattern entries.

No matter how badly you think you're messing up, just keep flying the plane and keep your head on a swivel.

I'll bet your next attempt will turn out much better.

I'm familar with rudder trim just not as notches. That sounds odd to me as trim is a "fine tuning" kind of thing not a preselect type of adjustment, but as I've said I've not flown Cessnas so it may. Again, if it was that difficult to input the proper control there might be a bind somewhere.

Go drink a beer. You'll feel better. It's okay.

; )

Go drink a beer. You'll feel better. It's okay.

; )

I was going to but by the time I got home and to bed it was 1 or 2 am and I had to be up at 7am for a trip to SF / baby shower on Sunday. I had champagne there and didn't speak a word about flying to anyone (except I told a few friends of the mom to be that I'd gotten my cert, people I haven't seen in years). Paying for the champagne today, I can tell you that. I have had several bottles of water, will probably feel better by tomorrow.

• I could not get set up properly for TPA
  • decided to go away and then come back, on a downwind and / or 45.
  • That didn't work
  • several more tries
  • decided to do everything on a long straight in final.

OK, you had a problem and you solved the problem. Quit beating yourself up.

We have rudder trim on our 172s. This is a google photo, but it is the knob/slit directly between the trim wheel and fuel selector.

image16492.jpg

This is it. If you zoom in you will see two notches to the right and left. Actually, there are more than two lines but the bar goes between the lines.

So I debated whether or not to post about Saturday's flying, since I did not do very well.

I see POA as a place to lay out your mistakes or problems so your fellow flyers can help you work through them and improve (we've also been known to console deserving souls!). We should feel like we are among friends here. The double benefit is we can learn from others' mistakes.

OK, you had a problem and you solved the problem. Quit beating yourself up.

I am somewhat of a perfectionist (but can't afford to be when it comes to flying since I suck). I am not happy with this level of failure with all the recent time and money spent. I have a flight scheduled (just a Bay Tour) in this plane which I know will be OK but I may practice the landings first before that other pilot arrives since he and I have never met. He is a POA member who I almost met last year. He is coming to SFO area for business. Maybe I can talk to him about what happened and see if he would be willing to give me some critique as well, though he is not a CFI. He has flown from this coast to OSH so that is a lot more than I've done.

Someone gave me advice once, not about flying a pattern and doing landings, but something similar. If you mess it up once you start to feel tense and rushed. The result is that you end up making the pattern smaller and smaller in an effort to get around and do it right. I don't know if that was happening to you, but if it was, it might help to relax and consciously make the pattern bigger to give yourself more time. I know people criticize 747 patterns in small airplanes but if you need a slightly bigger pattern to give yourself more time then do it. Also, the smaller runway might have been giving you an optical illusion and you were actually closer to it than you thought.

Someone gave me advice once, not about flying a pattern and doing landings, but something similar. If you mess it up once you start to feel tense and rushed. The result is that you end up making the pattern smaller and smaller in an effort to get around and do it right. I don't know if that was happening to you, but if it was, it might help to relax and consciously make the pattern bigger to give yourself more time. I know people criticize 747 patterns in small airplanes but if you need a slightly bigger pattern to give yourself more time then do it. Also, the smaller runway might have been giving you an optical illusion and you were actually closer to it than you thought.

That makes a lot of sense. And yes I was getting more and more upset with myself. The night landings back home, though suckey and awful, at least gave me more time in the plane in regards to patterns. We are super lucky in Petaluma, however (a road that represents where to fly downwind and another intersecting road that represents where to turn base).

Hadn't flown in a month or two and you're complaining about being rusty? Sheesh, that's pretty much how it goes for most of us.

The cure is to practice, practice, practice...and work on thinking all steps through ahead of time. Don't go anywhere in the aircraft your mind didn't go at least 10 minutes earlier. I have no idea how other pilots are but I lose the mental edge before I lose the motor skills.

See this thread (others saying they can't hold rudder in Skyhawks):

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48757

I didn't read about you in the news.
You're still here.
Plane is not damaged.

Learn and move on. :)

Hadn't flown in a month or two and you're complaining about being rusty? Sheesh, that's pretty much how it goes for most of us.

The cure is to practice, practice, practice...and work on thinking all steps through ahead of time. Don't go anywhere in the aircraft your mind didn't go at least 10 minutes earlier. I have no idea how other pilots are but I lose the mental edge before I lose the motor skills.

Yes and though I love passengers I probably should have either gone solo or asked for a sterile cockpit. I did ask for one on the way back when I was setting up for my first night landing.

Kim, you need to fly more. Getting out of your comfort zone is how you learn, it is how you gain experience. You shouldn't be a licensed pilot and say that you aren't ready for passengers, if you feel that reluctant to carry anyone in your airplane you might want to get some more time with a CFI. I'd be happy to go up with you and help, I just require a lunch ;)

The way you described your flight, and how you self-critiqued shows me you are a better pilot than most. Some pilots have no idea what they did wrong or how they got into a particular situation. You know exactly what you didn't like about the flight, and what to fix, to me that speaks volumes. Now just get out there, practice those situation and get better. When I first got my private, I spent the first 200 hours of my flying going to an airport I have never been to when I fly cross countries. Go get lunch at a different airport each time you fly, it will help a lot.

Yes and though I love passengers I probably should have either gone solo or asked for a sterile cockpit. I did ask for one on the way back when I was setting up for my first night landing.

You didn't see my landings Saturday morning.........:yikes: I'm willing to bet the guys in the tower had the crash trucks idling on the ramp.

Kim, you need to fly more. Getting out of your comfort zone is how you learn, it is how you gain experience. You shouldn't be a licensed pilot and say that you aren't ready for passengers, if you feel that reluctant to carry anyone in your airplane you might want to get some more time with a CFI. I'd be happy to go up with you and help, I just require a lunch ;)

The way you described your flight, and how you self-critiqued shows me you are a better pilot than most. Some pilots have no idea what they did wrong or how they got into a particular situation. You know exactly what you didn't like about the flight, and what to fix, to me that speaks volumes. Now just get out there, practice those situation and get better. When I first got my private, I spent the first 200 hours of my flying going to an airport I have never been to when I fly cross countries. Go get lunch at a different airport each time you fly, it will help a lot.

I couldn't afford more than an hour which kept me at home. Saving up for "new airports" meant flying less which meant getting rusty. My new plan will be to fly to closer airports. Though not counting as cross country, it will help with all my problems and keep me flying more often.

I would love for you to come up, I thought I asked before but you didn't have any free time on weekends?

How nice of you to offer.

Also, I am not saying I can't / won't have passengers - I have them all the time (never flown alone to be honest). What I mean is "Young Eagles". I don't want to take someone's kid up with me . . . a stranger . . . you know what I mean. Angel Flight requires 250 hours so I can't do that anyway. Not sure if Young Eagles has a requirement.

I see what you mean, and I don't mean to imply that I think you are dangerous. I just meant that it might be a good idea to refresh some things if you felt that way. You should try to find a renting buddy that you guys can split time with. I did that with a guy for a while it worked out great, I flew one leg he flew the other and we split it 50/50.

My weekends for a while are crazy but I will try to make some free time here soon.

Another member on here went with me (Aeric) so I do have a witness.

Just so you know, I am NOT looking for anyone make me feel better or say "it is ok."

What I did made me realize how far I have to go. I knew I wasn't ready for passengers (Young Eagle, for example, or Angel Flight)..... but WOW this was bad.

Sure, I haven't flown in a month or two, and sure, I have only a few flights in this plane, and sure, it handles A LOT differently than the 150, but still. No excuses.

I went on a nice XC to this cute little airport, Booneville. Though I often putt around my home airport and do nothing but sightseeing, I decided I need to experience true flying regardless of cost. I need the hours for lots of things (IR, Angel Flight, etc).

Trust me when I say now I know why cross country flying is so much different than anything else.... and why these types of hours are required for so many different things.

Everything was OK until I got there and overflew to look at the wind sock.... this tiny place has no AWOS or anything. I have no idea why, but I could not get set up properly for TPA etc.... I guess I scared myself a bit and decided to go away and then come back, on a downwind and / or 45. That didn't work, and after several more tries (no planes around, just me, nobody on frequency either I checked).... I got really spooked and just decided to do everything on a long straight in final.

At this point I was:

Embarrased (pilot with me)
Nervous
Ashamed
Scared
Upset with myself (some climbs and descents were not performed very well)
Etc.

The landing wasn't that great either, and after touch down I had issues with the rudders / staying on centerline / moving off to the side - very strange.

My thoughts so far were something like this:

Petaluma is the ONLY place I have ever flown / landed this plane. Just got checked out in it since I need a 172 for taller / bigger people, more stuff / people . . . speed, etc. This has the 180hp conversion kit and is very stiff on the controls (rudders mostly).

The sight picture is very different and I should have used a cushion (to put me closer to the rudder pedals and get rid of the gansta lean since it was too far leaned back).

Petaluma's runway is almost DOUBLE the length of Booneville's runway. This could help explain why, even when I slowed things down to 80 knots, I felt "rushed" and like things were happening too fast for me to do the whole downwind / base / final stuff.

I was WAY WAY WAY too close to the runway on downwind. This shortened my base and final enough to scare me away.

So many other things went wrong I feel they set off some sort of suckey chain of events.

So this whole time (with one exception), the other pilot was very calm about the whole thing, and after he helped me tie down the plane, we walked into Booneville and had some food.

Unfortunately, all this extra flying (and a few other unplanned events) got us back to the airport later than expected. It wasn't pitch black yet, and perhaps not even technically night time but that did not help. The airport is not lit and there are small mountains / hills around, ranging from 1,000 - 3,000 feet. I decided to go home at 5,500 - more than I needed but at night I like that.

My takeoffs that day were OK but not very good. Definitely safe but even with one notch of right rudder trim my leg shook to keep the ball centered. Next time I'll try two notches to the right since I'm so weak.

The flight back was a great success, nothing went wrong, and I paid much more attention to what I was doing, saying things out loud etc. Night cross countries can be amazingly fun and beautiful.

I was about to run out of night currency, so I decided to do three takeoffs and landings when we got back.

Unfortunately, the PTT wasn't bringing up the lights but his spare radio did the trick. My approach was a bit high and I had to slip to get down on a landing. I tried to fix this on the other ones but it was pretty high.... I did lengthen my downwind at one point to fix this.

I also had issues with the flaps (easy to add more than 10, forgot to go 10, 20, 30, etc....)

Though I feel the approaches were OK and slow enough (60 - 70) for some reason I would land rather flat or even come back off the ground again.

Looking back, I know that an airplane won't come off the ground again if it is fully stalled and slow enough, so duh I wasn't slow enough. Super frustrating since this hasn't happened to me since my training and even then only EARLY ON.

What is even more upsetting is that I never got better, you can't imagine how angry I was going in circles making the same damn mistakes each time.

I was more upset and confused after we landed and put the plane back than I've ever been. I questioned my training, money spent, the works. I mentally made plans to hire a CFI (I don't love the one I got and they have 3 more) and pay for 1-2 hours at two nearby "tiny" airports, so that I can practice my pattern work there. Lucky for me they are only a few minutes from Petaluma and even smaller than Booneville.
I'll chime in, I was the "witness". First of all thank you Kimberly, for the awesome, fun day:).
First of all, the takeoff was one of the nicest I've ever experienced in a light airplane. Don't know why you say the takeoffs were ok, but not very good, all were great.
The flight up the coast and over the temple was incredible, very calm and the contrast of the coastal stratus with the inland clear was too cool.
Boonville airport sits in somewhat of a valley with hills off the downwind side. This was obviously messing with you a bit. So we ended up being a little tight. You went around, that's what was drilled into my head during training. The most important thing was that you didn't try to horse the plane around to final with too much bottom rudder and skid(very bad). You kept it nicely coordinated at all times. As someone who knows about this (as all pilots should), I was keenly aware of this, if not simply for self-preservation. I haven't spent much time riding in 172's, and indeed I have never flown one. The one thing I shouldn't have done is said "flare" when I did. I apologize for that and I'll probably get roasted here for that:redface:
Beautiful flight back, although climbing out and flying over lots of pitch black area on our way back to civilization is always a little unnerving (not because of a lack of confidence in Kimberly, just wondering about that 33 year old airplane we are in...I gotta work on mechanical trust issues).
I will say the one thing I did help on was activating the runway lights with my backup handheld at Petaluma.
As for the landings at Petaluma, I just think there was a tad bit too much energy left at touchdown, the airplane just wanted to fly. No big deal, 3-5 knots less and you'd be greasing 'em. I really believe that you were a bit self-conscious with a passenger. I know that ALL my good landings were solo:lol:, oh I've had plenty of less-than-perfect landings solo but I become quite self-conscious with a passenger in the right seat.
Kimberly, you're being too hard on yourself, the flight went very well, and I think that even as a very low-time pilot, I can say that.
A great day, great little adventure with great company!

I knew he would be way too nice. Oh and Eric do not be blaming yourself about the flare thing. It could not possibly be responsible for the three interesting landings several hours later.

(Right before our very first landing / touchdown he said "flare!" probably since I'd gone around the darned pattern too much and made him wonder if I could even land a darned airplane - remember he has never flown with me before or seen me land).

After hearing him, I of course flared right then and there which was WAY TOO HIGH, instinct I guess of CFI's yelling flare and me doing as told, and then you know what? I fixed it by adding power and funny thing is it came in all soft field and was super wonderful after my "repair." However, after this super soft touchdown in Booneville, it started leaving the runway (off center). At those speeds any turn feels jerky and I didn't want to sideload the tires. Just a very strange approach and landing and XC..... seems like now that I type this I'm sensing a trend here. Too much speed upon landing.

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours do you have? I am a little long in the tooth but I remember doing almost everything you mentioned. One suggestion: Never be afraid to ask another pilot in the plane for advice if you are uncertain. I am assuming this person has more experience than you, but even if you are equally matched input is a good thing and CRM outvotes ego anytime in my book. You sound like a careful and focused pilot. You'll do fine.

Not even, I think I can count on my hands the number of hours more time I have than her.:)

"but even if you are equally matched input is a good thing and CRM outvotes ego anytime in my book."

Sounds like a fun day, fly the same profile again and I'll bet it goes better.

My 2 cts: From all I've read about your exploits over the last few months the one thing you are not lacking is competence. You are at that early stage of flying that we all go through, beginning to flex your new wings while expanding and stretching limits either you or your instructor have placed on you.

In this case, I think you've exposed an area that needs some practice, that being approaching an unfamiliar airport. It isn't only the sight picture you get from the different seat height, etc, it is also the length and width of the runway, combined with the TPA that can confuse your sight picture. The fix is simply "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE."

As for your trouble establishing the 45 approach, one thing I did early in my flying (that my instructor taught me) was to fly down the runway, at your arrival altitude, in the direction you will be landing. At the departure end, turn 30 degrees left (for a left hand pattern) fly for 3 minutes or so to get you a couple of miles from the airport and then make a 180 degree, descending, left turn. On your return to the airport, continue your decent to TPA. With minor adjustment, you will be on an approximate 45 degree approach...

Back