Worst "aviation" movie ever.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Die Hard 2. Cant sleep, and I'm watching this steaming pile and found these gems in the first minute I flipped over to it:

Im changing the sea level by 200'
winds are 114, cleared ILS 29
I also didnt realize they could move the glide slope antennas from the tower.
121 guys must never check altitudes against the marker beacons.

ooooh, now they are going to bump up the wattage on the OM and broadcast voice over that.

Last edited:
Die Hard 2. Cant sleep, and I'm watching this steaming pile and found these gems in the first minute I flipped over to it:

Im changing the sea level by 200'
winds are 114, cleared ILS 29
I also didnt realize they could move the glide slope antennas from the tower.
121 guys must never check altitudes against the marker beacons.

ooooh, now they are going to bump up the wattage on the OM and broadcast voice over that.

I'm a former Tomcat guy so Top Gun was our favorite. Notables;

1. Multiple sidewinders off of station one

2. Goose tapping the Pilots fuel tapes. (Not unless his arms are 12 feet long)

3. Ground crew giving hand signal for gound power... on the cat.

4. half dozen 20mm rounds hit the port AV bay. (each would be about a 1/2 stick of dynamite)

5. O2 Mask off on the cat shot.

6. Inverted at "2 1/2" meters

7. The "anorexic's only" steam/shower room! Don't forget to pump out that 8 year old boy chest.

That movie still holds a soft spot in my list of movies.

A good one to watch is "Always". Its a great movie that doubles as a chick flick.

Another that I just got is "One Six Right". This one should be required viewing.

Insomnia rocks!

Some of the scenes in Die Hard Two were made at Stapleton when they were working on one of the terminals; one they tore down less than ten years later. The church scenes were supposedly done near Longmont.

I wasn't long out of the Navy when Top Gun came out. I cracked up at some of the junk they were showing. The end was a trip with so many guys on the flight deck, they could form a whole new squadron.

I recall a guy in our squadron being an unnecessary crewman on the deck who was considered endangering other's activities. He was called up to the air boss where he stood until air ops were over. After that, he went back to his shop chief then worked his way up for a continued butt chewing with the department head. He didn't get written up but I think that happen had just as good an effect. Supposedly, he was standing off from the island within reach of the wires if one had busted loose.

Too funny.

At the end of the epic air battle a lowely little green shirt climbs the ladder on Mavericks’ bird to pop the steps open. That kid was a chief in my squadron. He tried very hard to not bring that little pearl to anybodies attention but sure enough, at the end of the movie there was his name in the credits. As I am sure you were aware, squids can be a merciless lot.

You might get a kick out of the remake that was done:

The only thing worse than Top Gun was the remake of that movie set on the NASCAR Track, aka Days of Thunder! Same plot and almost the same dialog!

Another bad aviation movie that make me cringe when it is on is Iron Eagle

I'm sorry guys, but The Core beats Top Gun and Die Hard. At least those movies tried.

Start around 2:10 where it gets interesting. Those NASA folks sure are good with that flight comp.

Yea, then there are the "classics" that still keep us laughing. Any of the Airplane series...too funny!!

Top gun for NASCAR = Days of Thunder
Top Gun for Lawyers = A Few Good Men
Top Gun for Coast Guard = The Guardian

The list goes on... Hollyweird of fantastic at recycling scripts.

Speaking of which, should King Kong be remade again about now? It's been a few years.

Top Gun was the GAYEST movie ever. Well maybe "An Officer and a Gentlemen" was the GAYEST movie ever. Yeah Diehard 2 was bad. Guess when aircraft are low on fuel they can't divert and MUST crash. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry guys, but The Core beats Top Gun and Die Hard. At least those movies tried.

Start around 2:10 where it gets interesting. Those NASA folks sure are good with that flight comp.

You're right... never seen that before, but it was VCHEESY.

I love how they barely cleared the stadium, but then had all that extra altitude to get to the canal. And they had an LA sectional on board. :rolleyes:

OK, how about Stealth? Was it any good? I recorded it last night but haven't watched it yet.

That is soooo wrong in so many ways.

In my book that one ties (can't remember the name of it) spaceliner tv movie from about 5 years ago. The basic plot was they take off from LAX, head toward Asia at FL100+ fly into a MOA, get shot with a missile, big gaping hole in the side above FL100, everyone has a hard time breathing but is ok, dive down to 3000ish MSL, fly back to LAX.

Was that an E-6B flight computer in a Sporty's-type knee board? On the shuttle? Excellent. I knew I was cool carrying that stuff, but now I'm REALLY cool.

I've never seen that movie, but I like this line: "Unlock your harnesses. It's out of my hands." :rofl:

I'll remember that for my preflight briefing of passengers!

"Flyboys". Bad plot, bad acting, bad camera work, unrealistic aviation action, bad subplots, cheesy depiction of WWI. It's so bad I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again, else I'd be more specific.

Those who don't like "Die Hard 2" don't hold a candle on how my buddy's father-in-law doesn't like Die Hard 2. He was the real chief of security at Dulles when the movie came out... :)

Ron Wanttaja

If you like "Always" you might enjoy watching "A Guy Named Joe" w/ Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson, & Irene Dunne, plus several cameos by other Hollywood notables.

A good one to watch is "Always". Its a great movie that doubles as a chick flick.

Recently, I watched a panel discussion on CSPAN 3 that included John Glenn, Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper and Wally Schirra at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. Obviously, all are original Mercury Seven astronauts.

When the subject of movies came up, all four laughed at the "Right Stuff." One made a comment I can't recall but it wasn't good. But, all stated "Apollo Thirteen" with Tom Hanks was extremely accurate. It had so much detail and accuracy that several other events were left out such as a more difficult time at reentering the atmosphere.

I wish I could recall more detail on this. If it shows up again, the original panel took place in 2000. CSPAN 3 as well as both other CSPAN channels are an excellent place to listen to some historical events.

Edit: I'm currently watching CSPAN with a speech by Adrian Cronauer given on November 8, 2008. When he addressed how much of the movie was accurate, he responded with "If I had done half the things Robin Williams did in that movie, I would still be in Leavenworth this morning."

He did do a morning show. He did teach an English class. But, he was not lost in the jungle, hiding from Vietcong. Music wasn't controlled as shown. You stuck with the music of the show intended such as country, etc. No one was forced to play Lawrence Welk or otherwise. There was restriction of news promotion but there was no "Frick and Frack" with their red pens. All news was edited and relayed by phone, including news about a "prayer for peace" that was felt would be taken as the troops were not doing a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Eagle has to be the worst. bad acting , bad music, totally unrealistic to beleive a civilian (even a service brat{& i am service brat}) could get that close to the flightline , much less steal a plane. But i love "flyboys". I watch it over & over (fast forwarding the romantic parts). DaveR

OK, It's not a movie, but I think I've seen two episodes of CSI: Miami. In one, some kids tap into an underground pipeline that's feeding jet fuel to the airport, and use it to make their cars go fast. In the other, someone had a level 5 rating, allowing him to fly internationally.

Air Force One with Harrison Ford is pretty bad. Also, the monie with Kurt Russel when he is taking flying lessons at the beginning is horrible as well. I think in that movie, a special forces team led by Steven Segal is attempting to board an aircraft from a Stealth Fighter looking contraption. Absolutly terrible.

Not aviation, but I was in the Army at Fort Benning when John Wayne was filming The Green Berets. Actually, some folks in the OCS classes then were in some scenes. I was really disappointed in the movie. Worst was when he was in the helo that was shot down. He just got out, brushed himself off and went on like nothing happened.

Oh, and those screeming piston engines in a dive when helos crash are great, huh <g>

Best,

Dave

I love how they barely cleared the stadium, but then had all that extra altitude to get to the canal. And they had an LA sectional on board. :rolleyes:
Or how they overflew LAX and were within range of 2-3 semi-viable airports, all of which are visible on a day like that.:mad3:

OK, how about Stealth? Was it any good? I recorded it last night but haven't watched it yet.
Entertaining action movie. The pilot in you will only call "BS" a few times.

Recently, I watched a panel discussion on CSPAN 3 that included John Glenn, Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper and Wally Schirra at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. Obviously, all are original Mercury Seven astronauts.

When the subject of movies came up, all four laughed at the "Right Stuff." One made a comment I can't recall but it wasn't good. But, all stated "Apollo Thirteen" with Tom Hanks was extremely accurate. It had so much detail and accuracy that several other events were left out such as a more difficult time at reentering the atmosphere.
I hate the movie The Right Stuff! What made it so bad for me, was the way they made Tom Wolfe's descriptive phrases part of the dialog. Totally unbelievable! Also, they completely left out any of Wolfe's coverage of the X-15 program.

However, the book itself was one of the best aviation books I've ever read! Gripping from start to finish!

Was that an E-6B flight computer in a Sporty's-type knee board? On the shuttle? Excellent. I knew I was cool carrying that stuff, but now I'm REALLY cool.

I've never seen that movie, but I like this line: "Unlock your harnesses. It's out of my hands." :rofl:

I'll remember that for my preflight briefing of passengers!

Outstanding, I didn't think any film director could slide an aircraft farther and for a longer time than the crash in Air America but these guys did it! Must have been a minute long...

Hollywood isn't called LaLa land for nothing. Sometimes they get a particular subject right, but more often they are just trying to entertain the uneducated (on a particular topic), because that is what makes money.

Works, too. Top Gun was for me the Best Movie Ever, spent many an evening watching it, loved it every time. Then, after having 'been there, done that, got the t-shirt' it did become cheesey, could only watch short bits for personal nostalgia's sake. About a year ago, broke out the DVD to watch it with the kids finally, and Holy Shiite Muslims, what's with all the shower scenes and tightie whities? :yikes:

And there is no changing the film process, no matter how one might try: I recently lent some of my flying gear to a production, carefully explaining how it should be worn, and placing the patches where they were meant to go. Got a photo of the actor back from the set photogrpher, and of course they took a lot of artistic license, and everything was all hosed up. (the movie will probably make millions!). :rolleyes:

Air Force One with Harrison Ford is pretty bad. Also, the monie with Kurt Russel when he is taking flying lessons at the beginning is horrible as well. I think in that movie, a special forces team led by Steven Segal is attempting to board an aircraft from a Stealth Fighter looking contraption. Absolutly terrible.

"Executive Decision" or Executive something. A Golan-Globus Cannon film where it couldn't be more obvious that they hired Steven Segal for exactly one day of work so they could list his name in the credits to boost overseas box office. They did that a lot.

When Kurt Russel is landing the 747 and goes like what else did I forget? "Flaps!" :rofl:

"Flyboys". Bad plot, bad acting, bad camera work, unrealistic aviation action, bad subplots, cheesy depiction of WWI. It's so bad I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again, else I'd be more specific.

Tony Bill who produced it is a real pilot (see One Six Right). He said that soem of the unbelievable stuff really happened. Some that really happened he thought was too hard to believe like a pilot who had his plane go inverted and was hanging under it holing on the controls. He ended up landing safely.

But, yeah, Hollywood wants you to think that you can outrun an explosion or fireball. Nope.

"Executive Decision" or Executive something. A Golan-Globus Cannon film where it couldn't be more obvious that they hired Steven Segal for exactly one day of work so they could list his name in the credits to boost overseas box office. They did that a lot.

When Kurt Russel is landing the 747 and goes like what else did I forget? "Flaps!" :rofl:

Like ol' Kurt said, he "never really soloed", ...they usually do forget the flaps!

Tony Bill who produced it is a real pilot (see One Six Right). He said that soem of the unbelievable stuff really happened. Some that really happened he thought was too hard to believe like a pilot who had his plane go inverted and was hanging under it holing on the controls. He ended up landing safely.

IIRC, the pilot's name was "Strange" (!), and he wasn't holding onto the controls, but to the jammed Lewis gun drum that he had been trying to free.

It's been months since I've seen it, but only a few of the worst bits are sticking in my mind. Like the fact that the planes that the Lafayette Escardille pilots were flying seemed to have British markings, half the time. Nuhh-uhh.

There was a scene where a pilot ripped the wings of a German plane with his landing gear. I don't argue that it actually *happened* at one point, but the way they filmed it made the plane look like the pilot had jammed it in reverse. I expected to hear the American pilot go "Beep beep!" like the Road Runner.

This is, basically, the curse of CGI. Just because you have pretty models and can make them do whatever you want, DOESN'T mean what shows up will be realistic. The space combat scenes in "Star Wars" are a classic example. It just took thirty years for the same taint to reach the aviation world.

In the old days, they had to film these scenes with real planes and real pilots. What you saw was at least somewhat realistic, since actual airplanes were used and actual pilots had to fly them. Take a look at them flying under the bridge arches in "The Blue Max," for instance.

Nowdays, you've got a computer expert who has never handled a set of controls in his life deciding how the planes should move. Yes, the guy at the top was a pilot; I don't think it was enough.

Agrrhhh, just thinking about that movie raises my blood pressure. Talking back and forth between the airplanes in flight? Puh-leeeze.

Did you notice that they never actually *showed* any of the actors with the lion cubs? They'd show a lion trotting across the floor. One of the actors, in a waist-up shot, would look down at their feet, then the camera angle would switch to a close-up of the lion and some generic legs, and a generic hand would come down and pet the lion.

What really torqued me off was at the end...the "what happened after the war" stuff. All the people were *fictional*. You could make up whatever you wanted for them, after the movie ends. It's a good laugh in a comedy like "Animal House" (where you can make the eventual fates ironic) but it's stupid in any other sort of fiction.

Agrrhhhh.:smilewinkgrin:

Grab your Netflix lists and grab the 1958 movie, "Lafayette Escadrille". It has the same problems with the plot going off the rails, but training sequences with the "penguins" are worth it. The director, in this case, was not only a pilot, but had been a member of the actual Lafayette Escadrille.

Ron Wanttaja

...Grab your Netflix lists and grab the 1958 movie, "Lafayette Escadrille". It has the same problems with the plot going off the rails, but training sequences with the "penguins" are worth it. The director, in this case, was not only a pilot, but had been a member of the actual Lafayette Escadrille.

Ron Wanttaja

Check out Dark Blue World which Tony Bill recommended as the best war flying movie. It's a Czech movie set in WW II. I have a copy and it's great.

As a comparison, I didn't even bother to record Flyboys on the DVR. I just caught it in snippets as it was on cable. I did see it in the theater.

This is, basically, the curse of CGI. Just because you have pretty models and can make them do whatever you want, DOESN'T mean what shows up will be realistic. [snip] In the old days, they had to film these scenes with real planes and real pilots. What you saw was at least somewhat realistic, since actual airplanes were used and actual pilots had to fly them. [snip] Nowdays, you've got a computer expert who has never handled a set of controls in his life deciding how the planes should move.

I thought The Aviator, the recent flick about Howard Hughes, was pretty bad physics-wise. The computer-generated airplanes looked great, but didn't move anything like real airplanes would move.

The HR-1's power-off, gear-up slide through the berry patch -- after a cartoonish "flareout" -- lasted eighteen seconds before the camera cut away, the airplane still moving at a good clip, seemingly a constant speed (maybe they were greaseberries?). Plenty of time for Leo to mug for the camera. Plus he handles the controls like it was a skiploader, rather than a high-performance airplane. Jimmy Stewart, at least, knew how to "fly" an airplane in the movies.

And how about sound? Over the Hollywood Hills Leo and Cate whisper and coo to each other in the cockpit of a Sikorsky S-38 (Hughes' real airplane was an S-43) as "Moonglow" plays softly in the background. That would have been kinda tough with the din from the unmuffled R-1340's and prop tips mere inches from the cabin roof.

In the interview on the bonus disc, director Scorsese admits that before making this movie he knew nothing about aviation. No kidding. Howard Hughes was passionate about technical accuracy in his films; he would have hated the aviation scenes in this movie.

I thought The Aviator, the recent flick about Howard Hughes, was pretty bad physics-wise. The computer-generated airplanes looked great, but didn't move anything like real airplanes would move.

I agree. Marty Scorcese gets a FAIL for the aviation scenes. However, I did like the movie.

Another HORRIBLE aviation related movie was "Pearl Harbor". Just awful. A chick flick with Pearl Harbor as the back drop. :mad3:

I don't care for some of these new movies with all of the computer generated crap in them. I liked the old time movies like " The high and the Mighty" or "30 seconds over Tokyo". Which reminds me I got to meet three of the original Jimmy Doolittle raiders a few years back. Over at the museum in Nampa, ID.

Attachments

• B25 Bomber at Nampa ID.jpg
    B25 Bomber at Nampa ID.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 3 of the remaining Jimmy Doolittle Raiders.jpg
    3 of the remaining Jimmy Doolittle Raiders.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 13
I didn't like The High and the Mighty because I thought all the time spent on passengers' life stories was boring (which made me really appreciate the gag in Airplane where a passenger has hanged herself after being subjected to the hero's life story!) Some of the things going on in the cockpit didn't make sense to me either, but I don't remember the details. I thought Island in the Sky was much better.

I didn't like The High and the Mighty because I thought all the time spent on passengers' life stories was boring (which made me really appreciate the gag in Airplane where a passenger has hanged herself after being subjected to the hero's life story!) Some of the things going on in the cockpit didn't make sense to me either, but I don't remember the details. I thought Island in the Sky was much better.

I think Ernest Gann was on the set and kept them from Hollywooding his story Island in the sky. I don't know what happened with The High and The MIghty.

I liked 'Island in the Sky" dispite the glaring mistakes. Most obvious is they are flying "United States Air Force" C-47's During WW2. The USAF did not exist untill 1948. I just saw it again a few weeks ago, and the flying parts, & seeing all tose old actors as young actors was great! DaveR

BTW just my $.02 I think the best flying movie with good and mostly believable flying scenes was Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart.

I think Ernest Gann was on the set and kept them from Hollywooding his story Island in the sky. I don't know what happened with The High and The MIghty.

It's been aeons since I read the book, but IIRC, the movie was fairly close. Gann did go into significant backstory on the passengers.

I don't remember the (flashback) death of John Wayne's family in the book, though. IIRC, the book had the experienced Dan Roman as the co-pilot because he'd gone to work for a start-up airline, and when it went bust, ended up with a very high seniority number at the new one.

The backstory was similar to Gann's own, of course...he'd left the "real" airlines to work for a shipping line's attempt to start their own airline that would tie into their oceanic passenger liners. When Matson's airlines went bust, Gann came back to his old airline with a new-hire seniority number.

There's a lot of speculation that Gann based Dan Roman on himself in many other ways, too. Not long before his death, Flying magazine published an interview with him. The reporter asked him flat out, "Are you Dan Roman?"

Gann's answer was a masterpiece. Maybe he misunderstood the question. Maybe decades of exposure to high-powered aircraft had dulled his ears. Or maybe there was a *point* to the character's name that not too many people had gotten. Maybe he had a point to make about himself, too.

Or maybe he was jerking the reporters chain.

Who knows?

"Are you Dan Roman?" asked the interviewer.

"Sure," said Gann," I'm done roamin'...."

Ron "Still Roamin'" Wanttaja

I liked 'Island in the Sky" dispite the glaring mistakes. Most obvious is they are flying "United States Air Force" C-47's During WW2. The USAF did not exist untill 1948. I just saw it again a few weeks ago, and the flying parts, & seeing all tose old actors as young actors was great! DaveR
Director Wellman did a great job with little throwaway "bits of business" in that film. I don't know if Andy Devine was a real-life pilot, but he sure convinced me that he knew what he was doing when he used the "whiz-wheel" E6B computer. Maybe the most unbelievable part of that film was how Andy Devine could even get his parka-clad hulk into the left seat of a C-47! :eek:

I'm a former Tomcat guy so Top Gun was our favorite. Notables;

1. Multiple sidewinders off of station one
2. Goose tapping the Pilots fuel tapes. (Not unless his arms are 12 feet long)
3. Ground crew giving hand signal for gound power... on the cat.
4. half dozen 20mm rounds hit the port AV bay. (each would be about a 1/2 stick of dynamite)
5. O2 Mask off on the cat shot.
6. Inverted at "2 1/2" meters
7. The "anorexic's only" steam/shower room! Don't forget to pump out that 8 year old boy chest.

That movie still holds a soft spot in my list of movies.
Allen,

I was flying A-7s when Top Gun came out. We'd tell the Turkey-drivers, "Fighter guys make movies. Attack guys make history."

After "Flight of the Intruder" came out, the fighters guys would tell us, "Fighter guys make movies. Attack guys make bad movies."

Now, that's funny right there...

BTW just my $.02 I think the best flying movie with good and mostly believable flying scenes was Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart.

I agree with you 100%. Jimmy Stewart actually knew what he was doing in an airplane. I actually got to see the houses they used for the exterior shots in the movie. They were on Carswell AFB and still being used.

Not really a flying movie, but the few flying scenes in "A Gathering of Eagles" with Rock Hudson were fairly accurate. I actually flew a few of the tail numbers they used in the movie so I'm a little biased.

On the other end of the spectrum was "By Dawns Early Light" with Powers Booth and Rebecca De Mornay. Very Cheesey!!

Got a DVD of "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" for Christmas. Gonna put on my old helmet and pop it in the player after the wife leaves for work :D.

Allen,

I was flying A-7s when Top Gun came out. We'd tell the Turkey-drivers, "Fighter guys make movies. Attack guys make history."

After "Flight of the Intruder" came out, the fighters guys would tell us, "Fighter guys make movies. Attack guys make bad movies."

Now, that's funny right there...
I worked on Intruders at a FRAMP squadron before later moving to Vikings. I thought Flight of the Intruder was a heck of a lot better movie than Top Gun. At least Danny Glover made the CO role more believable than the egghead CO in Top Gun.

Back