Worldwide Private Pilot Reciprocity?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
I've read of people flying around the world in their modified Cessna One Eighty Fueltanks, and it got me to thinking of a few questions:

1) Can a US Certified PP-ASEL exercise privileges in their own aircraft in any country worldwide? Or what countries allow us to exercise privs?

2) Can a US Certified PP-ASEL get checked out in another country with a simple checkout flight, or is it much more complicated?

3) What are the requirements for a GA International flight as far as landing after crossing the border for customs or whatnot, and must this be done for EVERY country you overfly?

And any other information would be helpful. Not planning any trips soon, just curious :D

(Oh, and do the new rules for requiring a passport between the US and Canada/Mexico throw a wrench into anything GA related, or is it business as usual?)

(Oh, and do the new rules for requiring a passport between the US and Canada/Mexico throw a wrench into anything GA related, or is it business as usual?)

Well, I'm pretty sure that you need that passport now. Even if you don't need it, it's a good thing to have. ID that can never be questioned.

I fly in New Zealand and have done some certification work for a 'round the world flight, so I can offer some thoughts. I've never done any significant international flying, though, so I may have some of this wrong.

I've read of people flying around the world in their modified Cessna One Eighty Fueltanks, and it got me to thinking of a few questions:

1) Can a US Certified PP-ASEL exercise privileges in their own aircraft in any country worldwide? Or what countries allow us to exercise privs?
A US PP can fly a US certified aircraft in any ICAO country (which is most countries of any interest. I'm not sure if North Korea is a signatory).

2) Can a US Certified PP-ASEL get checked out in another country with a simple checkout flight, or is it much more complicated?
This varies by country, I think. If you want to fly a non-US registered aircraft, you need the PP license of the country it's registered in. In NZ, I had to do a NZ BFR and showed that I had all of the basic NZ PPL stuff logged. They do more dual x-country and hood time here, so I had to do some extra. My medical is good until it expires, then I have to get a NZ medical. It took me about 8 hours of dual and some reading of the different rules and radio procedures here. A more experienced pilot could probably get it done in a couple of hours.
3) What are the requirements for a GA International flight as far as landing after crossing the border for customs or whatnot, and must this be done for EVERY country you overfly?
You only have to clear customs if you land, in general. There may be some scary countries that won't give you any overflight privileges, but you probably don't want to overfly them anyways. Usually, a country will have only certain airports designated as "ports of entry", so your first landing in that country will have to be at one of those airports. You often have to give them warning that you're coming.
And any other information would be helpful. Not planning any trips soon, just curious :D

You'll probably need a ferry fuel system if you're going over oceans or into areas where avgas is hard to find (much of the world, especially africa). This will put you into the restricted category and you'll need special permits for every country you intend to fly over. This is routine and is usually handled by a company that specializes in such things so that the pilot's head doesn't explode.

Chris

1) Can a US Certified PP-ASEL exercise privileges in their own aircraft in any country worldwide?
As noted, any ICAO signatory nation.

Depends. You need no CAA flight check at all to fly a UK-registered plane in the UK on a US PPL or better, but you can't fly it outside the UK unless you get a UK PPL based on your FAA ticket and a test.

For customs after landing, see the AOPA's International Flight section. For overlights, there are no customs requirements, but there may be overflight requirements, and the FAA bans flight into the airspace of some countries (like the DPRK).

No wrench unless you don't have a passport, in which case you're wrenched no matter what mode of transportation you're using.

Well, I'm pretty sure that you need that passport now. Even if you don't need it, it's a good thing to have. ID that can never be questioned.

Nope.

But 23 Jan 2007 if you travel by air to Canada, Mexico, etc you will need one. If traveling by other means you have until 1 Jan 2008

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:
  • Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
  • As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I have looked into Australia, where a validly-licensed private pilot from the US can get reciprocal rights on some paperwork and a little money; very simple. VFR only, IFR requires some testing, IIRC.

Also already found where I can rent Bonanzas, in Melbourne. Cannot wait!

I have looked into Australia, where a validly-licensed private pilot from the US can get reciprocal rights on some paperwork and a little money; very simple. VFR only, IFR requires some testing, IIRC.

Also already found where I can rent Bonanzas, in Melbourne. Cannot wait!

Good point. I'd forgotten that some countries also allow you to fly with your US license as long as you fill out some paperwork. It's temporary only and has some restrictions such as VFR only. My post above pertained to actually getting a permanent local license based on your US license.

Chris

Nope.

But 23 Jan 2007 if you travel by air to Canada, Mexico, etc you will need one. If traveling by other means you have until 1 Jan 2008

[/LIST]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

How about if you land and taxi through a port of entry? :D

Back