World's largest firefighting aircraft comes to Fairbanks

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
http://newsminer.com/news/2009/jul/30/worlds-largest-firefighting-aircraft-comes-fairban/

As part of a pitch to Alaska forestry officials, the Oregon-based company will donate the services of the world’s largest firefighting aircraft. The converted Boeing 747-100, dubbed the Evergreen Supertanker, will be used for a test drop on an unspecified Railbelt Complex fire today.
Evergreen said the beefy jet can do things that typical fire-suppression aircraft can only dream about — namely, dropping more than 20,000 gallons of retardant while skimming just 300 feet above the ground. A drop pattern of three miles in length and a football field wide is possible, according to Evergreen.

L29tanker03_t575.jpg

That's cool, but I miss the old warbirds they used to use. P2 Neptunes, Grumman Trackers, B-17, A-26, etc.

Just not the same with modern jet aircraft. :frown3:

Wooohaaaa...that is one freaking HUGE tanker. I cannot imagine the stresses that thing is under...and hope one NEVER crashes.

I still think the larger runway required limits this bit. You're not landing one of those on a short field.

>You're not landing one of those on a short field.

not more than once.

That's cool, but I miss the old warbirds they used to use. P2 Neptunes, Grumman Trackers, B-17, A-26, etc.

Yeah, that's the fun way, more flying hours too! At the bottom line though, that big jet will probably do the most for the least, even flying in full tanks from the nearest Class Bravo strip.

Yeah, that's the fun way, more flying hours too! At the bottom line though, that big jet will probably do the most for the least, even flying in full tanks from the nearest Class Bravo strip.

I believe this one was did some testing and was housed in the SoCal area for a while. They said it could do 6 "normal sized" drops on 1 filling, dump it all out, or stuff in between.

I'm just not sure how well jets handle smoke & ash.

Well...today I flew up to Fairbanks to do some work on 77C at my A&P's place and pick up my wife who was dropping the Subaru off for service. Northbound flew between the two largest fires buring in the state, Railbelt Complex Fires on my left, Wood River Fire on my right. Climbed up to 6500 to stay clear of all the rotorwing traffic below. Driving to the dealership what do I see on final for runway 19R? Took a couple cell phone pics:

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

Had to fly home after the smoke had settled in a bit unfortunately...thought I was going to need a special to get out but the ATIS listed vis as three miles (I think they were being generous.) VFR-over-the top for the first half of the trip over the tundra-tiaga, which I almost never do in Alaska but I knew the smoke would clear before I reached the mountains. And it did. Last half was beautiful as usual.

Last edited:
947 represents in Israel.

Attachments

• 101205-747-hmed-7a.grid-6x2.jpg
    101205-747-hmed-7a.grid-6x2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 42
  • x160.jpg
    x160.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 32

Anthony,

There are still P2V Neptunes in use, at least - I saw some in Roswell, NM about a year ago. The Wikipedia article on the Neptune named the operator.

It was really neat, because I didn't expect to ever be able to see any of the piston-jet combo airplanes in use. But, the ones I saw flying had 2 turning and 2 burning. VERY cool, and a very unique sound! :)

Unfortunately, Hawkins & Powers, who operated a lot of the old birds, went under after 2 of their planes crashed in 2002 - A C-130A and a PB4Y-2. You can still see a lot of their fleet parked at KGEY (Greybull, WY) - Not only the ones in the picture above, but also another PB4Y-2 and a KC-97L on the main ramp. There's also a massive hangar with more large aircraft in it, but it was too dark to tell what they were through the windows when I was there.

We have 2 S2T (S2F fitted with turboprop engines) aircraft at Grass Valley all summer long. Those old round engines sure sounded sweet, but the turbines can haul SO much more. When my house is on fire, I want retardant, lots of it, and I don't care what the engines sound like.

Jim

We had a fire here, a little over a year ago, that was put out with a DC-10 tanker. That thing was pretty damn impressive too.

Seems like a weird use for a jet. Those engines must just drink gas at such low altitude.

Back