World's Busiest Airspace - AirVenture - Flight Chops

bmoeller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedHeadBarron
This guy always does a nice job with the videos. Never realized how crazy that airspace gets.

Cool video! I'm a big fan of the Flight Chop series too. Some very wacky go-arounds and such.

Yes! He puts together nice videos. I loved the one he did about flying a Super Cub!

Yes! He puts together nice videos. I loved the one he did about flying a Super Cub!

Love his videos myself. I was really sad when someone wrecked that super cub on the metal pylon!

I've become a non-fan shortly after he started peddling patreon so hard.

I've become a non-fan shortly after he started peddling patreon so hard.
Yeah, that gets annoying. Understand he needs to pull funds together for production, but still gets tiresome at times.

The other Vlogger I follow is Steve-O. Great personality and enjoy that bohemian life style he seems to have. Not to mention constantly drooling over his TBM.

Yeah, that gets annoying. Understand he needs to pull funds together for production, but still gets tiresome at times.

The other Vlogger I follow is Steve-O. Great personality and enjoy that bohemian life style he seems to have. Not to mention constantly drooling over his TBM.
Right, and it also bugs me a little bit that his use of his private certificate isn't incidental to a commercial business... he's using his (private) certificate for direct revenue generation. "I swear I'm not PIC, guys," is just a load of crap and I know it. He came from nothing, went and grew an ego, and now I'd have to pay him money to see most of his content. It annoys the **** out of me.

I like Steveo, too. If he starts pulling the same stuff, I'm going to get annoyed.

By the way, I had a chance to ***** at Flightchops Steve about his Patreon ******** and used Steveo as an example of what I liked. Steve then went on a tirade about how he and Steveo (yeah, I know the names are getting confusing) were going to do a collaboration of some kind, somehow trying to use that as vindication that what he was doing was okay and I was an idiot. I've had several interactions like that with him and have lost most of my respect for him as a human being.

I like Steveo, too. If he starts pulling the same stuff, I'm going to get annoyed.

By the way, I had a chance to ***** at Flightchops Steve about his Patreon ******** and used Steveo as an example of what I liked. Steve then went on a tirade about how he and Steveo (yeah, I know the names are getting confusing) were going to do a collaboration of some kind, somehow trying to use that as vindication that what he was doing was okay and I was an idiot. I've had several interactions like that with him and have lost most of my respect for him as a human being.
Steveo has and collects using Patreon acct too. He doesn't mention it all the time, but does refer to it ("Thanks to all my Patreon supporters") but also does giveaway raffles for his Patreon supporters. He have away brand new Halo in-ear headset recently, a brand new Flight SIM package with yoke, rudder, and some cool looking software setup.

Right, and it also bugs me a little bit that his use of his private certificate isn't incidental to a commercial business... he's using his (private) certificate for direct revenue generation. "I swear I'm not PIC, guys," is just a load of crap and I know it. He came from nothing, went and grew an ego, and now I'd have to pay him money to see most of his content. It annoys the **** out of me.

I'm not about to get too deep into the chaff of commercial/non-commercial, but I imagine he's not getting "paid" to fly passengers or cargo. He's getting "paid" for producing videos of his experiences, whatever they may be. Fine line though it may be, I don't see how having viewers fund better video production values is a violation of a private certificate. And, further, I don't have any problem with someone monetizing their "brand." The videos are his craft and if people are willing to pay for it, then good on him. Capitalism is grand. To your point that the actual HAWKING of Patreon is annoying - I'm 100% on board with you; I just don't take issue with the act of having a funded page in itself.

If you're not going to pay for the video directly, you have to watch commercials. Be they from You Tube or embedded in the video itself during production, that is how you're paying for them. Nothing in life is free. That's the problem with the world today. Everybody thinks they should get stuff for free.

I don't want to see any more commercials than the next guy, nor do I want to spend 1 minute of my life listening to a voice-over about sponsors. But I like the videos, and I want the guy to be able to continue making them, so I put up with the minor annoyances. After all, it's 1/15th of the overall video. I can give him that.

Steveo has and collects using Patreon acct too. He doesn't mention it all the time, but does refer to it ("Thanks to all my Patreon supporters") but also does giveaway raffles for his Patreon supporters. He have away brand new Halo in-ear headset recently, a brand new Flight SIM package with yoke, rudder, and some cool looking software setup.
Yep, he's far less ****y about it. And it was Faros, not Halos ;-)
I'm not about to get too deep into the chaff of commercial/non-commercial, but I imagine he's not getting "paid" to fly passengers or cargo. He's getting "paid" for producing videos of his experiences, whatever they may be. Fine line though it may be, I don't see how having viewers fund better video production values is a violation of a private certificate. And, further, I don't have any problem with someone monetizing their "brand." The videos are his craft and if people are willing to pay for it, then good on him. Capitalism is grand. To your point that the actual HAWKING of Patreon is annoying - I'm 100% on board with you; I just don't take issue with the act of having a funded page in itself.

The quasi instruction, etc, really makes me feel that he's flirting along the line moreso than many.

Y'all can disagree with me, that's fine. I'm not going to go try to stop him from doing what he's doing or be a pain in the ass more than ****ing and moaning in a thread about it -- I'm just not going to actively participate in his videos or community. That's all.

I like Flight Chops but his newest videos flying the Chipmunk drove me a bit nuts with that instructor he was flying with...guy was pretty annoying.

I love Steveokinevo and I really enjoy Mr. Aviation as well...not sure why so many hate on him? Maybe something I missed? I have actually messaged him a few times and he has always responded which I thought was nice.

Last edited:
I don't hate on him, I just think he's a presumptuous little douchnozzle who's videos are like a train wreck, you just have to watch for entertainment value.

1. He calls himself "Mr. Aviation 101" Really?
2. Watch the ones where he flies with his poor old dad. That little immature snot nose thinks he knows so much more than his father who A: owns the plane and B: has been flying a lot longer than Mr. Chumpnugget has.
3. He runs his GUMPS checklist several times before landing and two of those items aren't even a part of the plane he's flying.
4. At the end of each video in his best womanly voice possible, he waxes poetic about each flight; the equivalent of Ferris Bueller's voice over when he's talking about the Ferrari 250 GT California Spider "If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up."

I dunno, the kid just rubs me the wrong way. Just my opinion and its worth exactly what you paid for it.

3. He runs his GUMPS checklist several times before landing and two of those items aren't even a part of the plane he's flying.

Haven't seen the video but what airplane doesn't have at least four of the five items?

Of course it probably depends on which version of "S" you use...

I'm not going to slag a guy over doing a GUMPS check in a 172. It's a good habit for when you are in a complex airplane at other times. That kind of recall isn't easy to just switch on and off depending on the plane you are in. I got into the habit of doing one, even when I'm flying a Cherokee because I never want to forget it when I'm flying a Mooney.

With that said, the problem with his videos are that they are freaking boring. "Hey, watch me fly my 172 over the same boring flat Texas landscape for the 100th time!" That and the voice overs just sound pretentious, as if he's taking himself way too seriously.

What makes steveo's videos more enjoyable (for me) is the setting and the presentation. He's flying in the Bahama's usually. He typically has some kind of aviation related topic he discusses in cruise. And he's flying a plane that's actually interesting vs. some fixed gear four banger.

I totally agree that Steveos videos are more entertaining...I find the Mr. Aviations videos can be entertaining sometimes and other times they are quite boring.

I use the BCGUMPS checklist before landing when I fly...although I don't say prop since it is a 172.

I agree some of his lines at the end of the videos are a bit cheesy...

In terms of him flying his dad's airplane...well you can't possibly tell me you wouldn't do the same if you were given the opportunity...I used to hate on a friend of mine because his dad bought him a Corvette...but I came to terms with the fact that I would have taken a Corvette if my dad offered me one too. Yea I can't help but be a little jealous of some of the rich kids out there...some of them really are total douchers...but I don't think Mr. Aviation is one of them.

My dad will actually be doing something similar for me...he plans to pick up an older Cherokee and charge me a flat rate monthly fee to fly it...and I pay for the fuel as well. So I may not be all that different than Mr. Aviation :p

overall I think he is just a young kid like me enjoying flying and trying to share it.

Anyways whatever floats your boat I guess

Last edited:
I like both Steve's videos because they are informative and they teach you something that you probably didn't know before. Flight Chops Steve is humble enough to show his mistakes and explain how NOT to do something. Steve O just has that dream job with the cool plane or the cool location. As Bonchie said, watching a video of a guy flying to X isn't very entertaining.

Love the Steve O videos. Anyone know how/why he flies that TBM? He's talked at length about what he does flying the caravan, but don't recall him ever talking about what he's doing in the TBM. It doesn't seem to be his personal plane so I just assume he's the pilot for the owner or its some sort of corporate charter. None of my business really, but am sort of curious.

Love the Steve O videos. Anyone know how/why he flies that TBM? He's talked at length about what he does flying the caravan, but don't recall him ever talking about what he's doing in the TBM. It doesn't seem to be his personal plane so I just assume he's the pilot for the owner or its some sort of corporate charter. None of my business really, but am sort of curious.

The TBM registered to Family Extended Care of Punta Gorda Inc according to Flight Aware.

I assume he is flying around their management to different business functions.

@JCranford... Fast forward to 9:07 and tell me if you recognize they 182 the are sitting under.

Last edited:
I don't hate on him, I just think he's a presumptuous little douchnozzle who's videos are like a train wreck, you just have to watch for entertainment value.

2. Watch the ones where he flies with his poor old dad. That little immature snot nose thinks he knows so much more than his father who A: owns the plane and B: has been flying a lot longer than Mr. Chumpnugget has.

I generally enjoy his videos and I've picked up a few (what I would consider) good habits from him. The big one is visually verifying flaps and I like what he does when he verbally does his flow checks you see this a lot more in his earlier videos.

As for his dad, I don't want to opine on his family dynamic but it looks to me that his dad is very receptive to his input. And GUMPS, I think it is very smart to do a full GUMPS even in a 172 if you're transitioning between trainers and complex aircraft. I know while working on my complex endorsement, my CFI told me that my life had changed and I would never again fly a plane w/o checking the gear. So even tho I'm usually flying fixed gear planes I always do a full GUMPS and visually verify that my gear is down and welded.

Well you gotta admit that both Steves' videos are much better than that chachbag in Texas who flies his dad's plane around.

"chachbag" I lol'ed at my desk. I'm adding that one to my dictionary. hilarious

I like FlightChops. I also like SteveO and Mr Aviation 101. And several others for that matter. I don't even mind the Patreon stuff.

Guys, we're getting to watch AIRPLANE videos for FREE. Not too many years ago, that sort of thing didn't exist beyond the occasional documentary on television or ordering a VHS/DVD of some footage. Fortunately, now there's enough stuff on YouTube that we've started to complain about the little stuff that annoys us. Mind boggled. ;)

I'm not going to slag a guy over doing a GUMPS check in a 172. It's a good habit for when you are in a complex airplane at other times. That kind of recall isn't easy to just switch on and off depending on the plane you are in. I got into the habit of doing one, even when I'm flying a Cherokee because I never want to forget it when I'm flying a Mooney.

With that said, the problem with his videos are that they are freaking boring. "Hey, watch me fly my 172 over the same boring flat Texas landscape for the 100th time!" That and the voice overs just sound pretentious, as if he's taking himself way too seriously.

What makes steveo's videos more enjoyable (for me) is the setting and the presentation. He's flying in the Bahama's usually. He typically has some kind of aviation related topic he discusses in cruise. And he's flying a plane that's actually interesting vs. some fixed gear four banger.

I mostly agree with you here. With regard to the voiceovers on his videos - I finally figured out that it isn't the actual waxing poetic or cheesiness of them that bugs me; it was that "vocal fry" that he seems to have in every sentence. "Flying is a dre-e-e-a-am. I don't take it for granted and I live for my next fli-i-i-ght. Sharing this with friends is an hono-o-or and a privil-e-e-e-ge." I could handle the cheesiness, but gotta firm up the voice.

All that being said - and as I said earlier in this thread - hard for me to hate too much on aviation content providers who also are fairly approachable and helpful when approached. Plus, I could only dream of being able to provide and produce content in the same manner as they do. My flying videos on YouTube don't hold a candle to theirs.

So even tho I'm usually flying fixed gear planes I always do a full GUMPS and visually verify that my gear is down and welded.
Me too. I fly a J-3 Cub and an Arrow. In the Cub, I run a GUMPS check on every landing:

Gas: presumed present
Undercarriage: visual check, present
Mixture: set at factory
Prop: presumed present
Seatbelt: check
(Switches: nobody added one since takeoff)

It adds zero burden to my life to make a joke tailored to its audience of one (me) every time I land the plane. And the habit of making that lame joke every landing keeps me from a lot of jokes being made at my expense if I forget the checklist when I'm in the Arrow.

Wow, some of you guys are a tough crowd. I have watched quite a few of "Mr Aviations" videos. I do gather that he's a pretty lucky young guy. College age and flying his dad's 172 all over the place. Yeah there can be some chees poetic lines scattered around but whatever.

He seems to be a pretty good pilot and I've definitely learned a few things from watching him. I'm working towards instrument and like watching him communicate and utilize the ipad on the yoke. Little stuff helps sometimes.

Overall, lucky young guy with a little $ in the family. That's ok. I hope someday people don't attack my son (currently 5) because we're somewhat blessed financially too.

BTW love SteveO !!! Geesh, bahamas one day and the TBM the next. Flightchops Steve is a long time favorite of mine too, but I've gotten less interested in his videos over the past many months. Is it just me or does there seem to be less and less flying and more documentary material? I probably need to catch up on some of his vids.

My flying videos on YouTube don't hold a candle to theirs.
How do you expect us to make fun of your videos if you don't post a link?

My flying is so boring that I've only uploaded one actual flying in an airplane video... Mostly working on airplanes videos - which are even worse.

How do you expect us to make fun of your videos if you don't post a link?

My flying is so boring that I've only uploaded one actual flying in an airplane video... Mostly working on airplanes videos - which are even worse.

I can't say my flying has been "exciting" either - but filming has been great for debriefing. Producing the videos has just been an excuse to learn something new (editing, graphics, etc), blow some time and share with friends and family. I'm sure my videos have plenty of things I could be made fun of for (or chastised/criticized for)! Quid pro quo, though @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe - I share my channel link, you share yours: https://www.youtube.com/user/tdrewg77

The TBM registered to Family Extended Care of Punta Gorda Inc according to Flight Aware.

I assume he is flying around their management to different business functions.
That guy has my dream semi-retirement job. He does a great job with the videos and has a nice balance between letting the viewers know how to support the videos if they choose but not being obnoxious about it.

Back