World Gliding Championships - Szeged Hungary

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
well the first 3 days of the contest were basically weathered out. Open Class did manage to get one day in although only a few people actually finished that day. yesterday all classes got a day in. Ron Tabery and Garrett Willat in ASW-22BL's are 8th and 9th in Open Class. Bill Elliot flying his JS-1 is in 7th in 18m. Our 15m guys both landed out and are at the bottom of the score sheet.

There was a pretty awful accident during the finishes yesterday. A low finisher hit a truck. Pilot is OK but the truck driver is in critical condition. http://picasaweb.google.com/itb.panorama/WGC2010GliderCrashSzegedHungary#

The safety record hasn't looked too good this year in international competitions, has it?

Weren't there other accidents/fatalities at an earlier contest?

at the standard/world/club class championships in Slovakia there was one competitor who stalled out while low on the ridge and died.

When's the last/next time an event like this was/will be held in the US?

in 2012 there will be World Championships in Uvalde, TX. I'm sort of hoping to go down there to watch or help out but it is a ways out. I think the last time there was a Worlds in the US was in the mid 90's and that also may have been in Uvalde. Don't quote me though.

Yesterday Ron Tabery won the day in open class! He moved up to 4th overall. Garrett Willat is at 9th overall.

Bill Elliot is at 16th in 18 meter. John Cochrane is 18th in 15 meter, he had a 3rd place day on Saturday!

Garrett got 5th today, Ron 13th. Bill Elliot and Tom Kelley ended up way down (40th and 43rd) for the day in 18 meter. 15 meter got cancelled due to a lot of landouts. Apparently a bunch of gliders ended up in Serbia and some crews were having issues getting over the border...

Back