Workshop insulation

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
My garage is not insulated.
If I use insulation board to box in my work area during Winter, would that help keep in the warmth? (I would also run a space heater though.)
Thoughts, ideas?
Thanks!

A lot depends on how big your work area is, how cold it is, what kind of space heater, and how thick is the insulation board, and how warm is warm enough.

But, it would have to help. Probably just have to try. Insulation in the outside walls would help a lot. Also, if you are using a combustion heater, CO will likely be an issue. I used to have a propane torpedo heater that would set off a CO alarm in my drafty uninsulated 2 car garage if I ran it long enough. Running it for my shop, I would stick it into a partially open door so it sucked air from outside, but, of course, a lot of heat was lost out the remainder of the opening.

Winter campers use a tent within a tent, a smaller sleeping tent inside a larger one. The point is the still air between the two tents insulates well. I've done the same with growing tents in my aquaponic set up. So, if you insulate the interior of the garage with foam board or even plastic sheeting, you’ll benefit from the still air between the two if you build a structure inside the garage. Most temporary blow up structures like seasonal covers over pools & tennis courts operate on the same principle: two layers with a dead air space between.

Winter campers use a tent within a tent, a smaller sleeping tent inside a larger one. The point is the still air between the two tents insulates well. I've done the same with growing tents in my aquaponic set up. So, if you insulate the interior of the garage with foam board or even plastic sheeting, you’ll benefit from the still air between the two if you build a structure inside the garage. Most temporary blow up structures like seasonal covers over pools & tennis courts operate on the same principle: two layers with a dead air space between.
That’s is awesome.Glad I posted my question - I would have never thought of that ‘tent within a tent’. Thanks!

Where? I just had a small warehouse insulated with spray foam. In central TX it’s definitely the best bang for the buck.

Just wear a hat. If you are moving around you will generate enough heat. I did this in Texas for years on my Velocity.

More information would be helpful. Where is this garage located? Arizona? Montana?
What is the construction? Typical residential construction? Steel frame with sheet metal siding?
Is it finished on the inside? If so, with what? Drywall? Wood?
Is it attached to a house? If so, how many walls does it share with the house?

That’s is awesome.Glad I posted my question - I would have never thought of that ‘tent within a tent’. Thanks!
Glad to help. Just watch ventilation and condensation. Dripping tents are a plus in ag applications, but they're not good in a workshop. Also, monitor fumes & CO build-up. A 3" or so collapsible dryer vent tube routed from the top of the inner tent to the outside air with a little computer fan on a timer should work. Only heat with electric heaters inside the tent. You'll get lots of good ideas if you knock around winter gardening sites and greenhouse supply websites. Even bowed or "ridgelined" PVC pipe attached to a PVC pipe frame on the floor, with large painter's drapes, works really well as an outside tent.

One final thought: if this is going to be a long-term project, you might want to investigate spray foam insulating the interior of the garage and roof deck. later, with foam in place, you can sheetrock the interior, hang a ceiling, and use the space to enlarge your family space.

Just wear a hat. If you are moving around you will generate enough heat.
And, to go with the hat you, of course, would be wearing a hoodie, long underwear, wool shirt, insulated coveralls, wool socks, boots with felt liners, and have an electric heater blowing on your hands as you work.

And, to go with the hat you, of course, would be wearing a hoodie, long underwear, wool shirt, insulated coveralls, wool socks, boots with felt liners, and have an electric heater blowing on your hands as you work.

Nope, you will get too hot dressed like that when you are INSIDE a closed space constantly moving around. I did all this in central Texas, but it never got much below 32. Would it be a different story at say, 6? Maybe.

If there is an air gap between insulation and the outside wall but no ventilation to that air gap then condensation will likely form. Not an issue if it is a temporary thing but for long term, years, it would likely be a moldy mess. Of course mileage will vary with climate.

Its a rental home with a stand alone garage/shop. Its just short term during this Winter period.

Just wear a hat. If you are moving around you will generate enough heat. I did this in Texas for years on my Velocity.
It's difficult for Texans to understand this, I know... but there is a world outside Texas. Most of the time that world is significantly colder.

Nope, you will get too hot dressed like that when you are INSIDE a closed space constantly moving around. I did all this in central Texas, but it never got much below 32. Would it be a different story at say, 6? Maybe.
There are parts of the country that would call 32 quite comfortable. Spend some time at zero and you look at cold in a whole different light. Parts of Montana in the winter would call zero a heat wave.....

Back