Workout Music

Part of all my playlists is black Betty. Really gets the adrenaline pumping

You’re missing Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers.
Curious, are you a condescending ass in person, or do you just play one behind the screen?

Confusing classic, artistic, quality music with teeny bopper music, just because it's not head banging, is a common mistake amongst the musically immature, uneducated, and unsophisticated. (Yes, I can be a condescending ass also.)

so, I'm curious, why can't one put a mod on ignore here?

Since you've put a few turn-of-the 80's melodic jazz in you list, here's a few more suggestions in that genre:

Joe Sample - Carmel. Some of the tracks, especially the title track, I think you'd find to your liking. As long as we're on Joe Sample, some of the cuts on The Crusaders album "Street Life" should work for you. Some people call his music smooth jazz, I don't care, I love his playing so much.

If you like Lighthouse, I'm thinking you'd like a good bit of Maynard Ferguson's catalog. Here, he's doing a surprisingly entertaining, and somewhat disco-y version of the theme song of the original Star Trek:

As one of the commenters said, "Beam me up two octaves, Scotty".

This might be a little too high energy, you might go out too fast and bonk, but give it a listen anyway.

I thought of another one. Pat Metheny Group's "First Circle" has a couple cuts that should get your energy level up.

Last edited:
Queen's "Highlander" sound track is pretty good.

Here's one of my favorites, especially for those who like bagpipes. If you're exercising in a public gym, extra credit if you sing along with the chorus.

Close your mind to stress and pain,
Fight till You're No Longer Sane
Let not a one damn cur pass by,
How Many of Them Can We Make Die!

Ron Wanttaja

Seems more appropriate for marching than running.

Curious, are you a condescending ass in person, or do you just play one behind the screen?

Confusing classic, artistic, quality music with teeny bopper music, just because it's not head banging, is a common mistake amongst the musically immature, uneducated, and unsophisticated. (Yes, I can be a condescending ass also.)

You must be fun at parties. His suggestion was no more serious than mine was.

Relax, it was a joke bud.

Seems more appropriate for marching than running.
Fits the “workout” part of the question. I lift, and it helps psyche me up for the next set. The Queen “Highlander” soundtrack works good while actually lifting, as the clank of the weights blends in.

Ron Wanttaja

Back