Working with digital charts

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
with the end goal being to print out on 8x11 photo paper something functional.

After purchasing and downloading
http://naco.faa.gov/ecomp/Catalog.aspx?a=AERO+NOS+DIGITAL+DSEC

I unzip (Winzip Eval version, takes a couple minutes to open) and save, then open the pic (it defaults to Readiris)
and Readiris only has about 2 zooms available. Not too useful!
So I usually have to 'PrintScreen' and copy to Word, where I can crop and stretch to the right size, then adjust contrast (usually more, they seem washed out).
NOW I can print. About 20 minutes. If the computer doesn't crash.

Seems ridiculously laborious. I'd just buy a chart if I had access to them. If I find out I am going somewhere in <2 days though, forget it. I guess I could pay 25$ for Fedex, but the charts are right here...

I'm not sure what format those images are in, but you might be better off printing it with photoshop or something like that.

I wouldn't use photo paper. It's too expensive and too stiff. Just use regular paper unless you're having a problem with the paper getting soggy.

I have, on occasion, printed pieces of charts from flyagogo.net. It takes a while for them to print, and the scale isn't correct, but the colors come out right.

A color laser printer is the best tool for printing sectionals.

I believe they're in TIFF format... meaning that the file size is huge and detailed... and meaning that it'll take forever to load and print.

I believe they're in TIFF format... meaning that the file size is huge and detailed... and meaning that it'll take forever to load and print.

*cough* Preview and iPhoto that come on all Macs can handle and convert TIFFs as native. No crashes required, either.

AND there are elventy-seven ways to capture images you aren't supposed to be able to capture.

*cough* Preview and iPhoto that come on all Macs can handle and convert TIFFs as native. No crashes required, either.

As will Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and Paint (which are on every machine running Windows XP), Office Document Imaging, and Office Picture Manager (which are on almost every machine running Windows).

I suggested Photoshop because I tend to use the best software I have available for the task at hand. My point was that Word and screen shots are not the best way to handle printing images.

Dave,

I regularly receive blueprints in a TIFF format and the best reader I've found so far is the Brava Reader.

Its free and works well in my application where I can print up to a 36" print on my hp plotter.

http://www.bravaviewer.com/reader.htm

Steve

Seems ridiculously laborious. I'd just buy a chart if I had access to them. If I find out I am going somewhere in <2 days though, forget it. I guess I could pay 25$ for Fedex, but the charts are right here...

Are you wanting to print the entire chart on 8 1/2 x 11, or just certain areas along your route? If it's the latter, check into Aeroplanner - I love using their TripTicks for VFR and IFR, and TAC charts. You get a discount off their premium membership if you're an EAA member.

Back