Working on my CFI

maximus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MAXIMUS
Well I am happy to annouce that I finished my multi commercial and have just started my CFI. Any words of wisdom? I want to be a great CFI does anyone have any experince they want to share?

maximus said:
Well I am happy to annouce that I finished my multi commercial and have just started my CFI. Any words of wisdom? I want to be a great CFI does anyone have any experince they want to share?
Just try to focus on how to be a good teacher, in general, as opposed to the flying part.

i know that a lot of people will not understand this, or will just simply disagree with me,

but you will not be a great flight instructor, or even a good one, until you come to realize that you cannot teach anyone to fly.

now ponder that for a while, it took me about 300 hours as a CFI to get it.

maximus said:

As a long time CFII and a long time DE I would offer this small bit of (wisdom gained over 40 years). Let you student make mistakes unless they are dangerous, then show them the proper way without making then feel like an Idiot. Many CFI"s like to show the student how good they are.
I wish you a long and succesful career in introducing people to GA.

jbelew said:
As a long time CFII and a long time DE I would offer this small bit of (wisdom gained over 40 years). Let you student make mistakes unless they are dangerous, then show them the proper way without making then feel like an Idiot. Many CFI"s like to show the student how good they are.
I wish you a long and succesful career in introducing people to GA.
Excellent advice.

maximus said:

Do have a lesson plan.
Do brief the lesson.
Do debrief the training flight.
Do share the syllabus with the pilot/student.

Don't fall asleep in the right seat!
Don't talk incessantly.

Back