Working it!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
My instructor worked me pretty good with two lessons over the weekend.

Friday, we went to the practice area and did unusual attitudes and steep turns under the hood, then did NDB20 full approach, outbound, PT, and back in to a missed, then did VOR/DME33 ARC approach partial panel.

Satudray we went to a couple airports I've never been to before, and did a VOR approach at the first one, full NDB approach at the second one, and back to the home drome for a VOR/DME33 straight in partial panel.

He didn't give me the approach plates until we were enroute to the first field, and he bombarded me with questions the whole way. Where are we, when does the approach start, when do we do our initial decent, when can we take a stepdown, etc. etc etc. He kept at it until I brain dumped, which I guess was the point. Then, after the VOR missed, he gave me the second approach plate for the NDB, and bombarded again. He ended up having to do the position calls into the airports, as I just didn't have the mental bandwidth (yet) to both fly the plane AND talk.

When we got back, he stressed the importance of really studying the plates for an XC airport before you get in the plane, as it greatly increases workload (QED).

On the bright side, I'm now consistantly getting myself within a runway width or two on the VOR and NDB approaches, and seem to be starting to figure this whole thing out.

I've got the course changes to the ADF station nailed, but need a little more practice recognizing what to do when flying away from the station. On the partial panel approaches, divide by 3 is your friend;)

Gotta get back at it!!! The more I work on this, the more I realize how cool flying approaches is!

Sounds like a fun day!!
I am so ready to shoot all the different types. I have done a couple for real, and most of them on MSFS. I knew I was destined to be an Instrument Pilot when I got chills doing an ILS at minimums on MSFS. Haha, can't wait to learn all about it all.

Back