Work for time

ATC_av8er

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ATC_av8er
Kind of a long shot here, but does anyone know if it's possible these days to exchange work at your flight school (Part 61) for flight time? I was thinking cleaning up the planes at the end of the day or doing some admin work in my spare time. Might be a way to save some money. Roughly $10/hr would mean 15 hours of work would equal about 1 hour of flight time.

I used to do this back in High School. I'd work the desk or wash airplanes all day on a Saturday to get one hour in a 152 with my instructor on Sunday. Looking back, it was a pretty good deal, and was all under the table stuff so I never paid taxes. Not sure how the school ran it.

Flight time these days is a lot more expensive, though. That was almost 20 years ago.

It still happens. From what I've seen, it happens more at the small airport FBOs, where they do everything rather than at the bigger flight schools. You might get put to work mowing, plowing snow, pumping fuel, or whatever they need, but your training will be mostly paid for and you'll learn a ton more from being around the airport than the guys paying for training will learn.

Best way on the planet to get the things you need, trade!

Just remember that your time is valuable, as is theirs. They are getting just as much value from your side of the barter. Make sure it is a mutually beneficial agreement and don't undercut your cost per hour. They won't undercut theirs, I promise.

I know of a local school that still offers this, if people ask.

So, ask! Like ^^ he said, make it beneficial for both of you.

Seems like you'd be better of doing odd jobs for $15/hr cash and taking the money to the airport to fly.

Many businesses tend not to like to do barter deals because they still have to do payroll, taxes etc. They tend not to like to do stuff under the table since there could be issues with insurance if you got hurt, etc. Also, they are often under contract to the county so they don't want to get caught violating any provisions of the contract.

Seems like you'd be better of doing odd jobs for $15/hr cash and taking the money to the airport to fly.

This is probably true. There's probably somewhere you could work for $20/hr if you are a good worker.

On the other hand, the contacts you will make working at the FBO (other students, CFI's, examiners and clients) can be much more beneficial than one would get working at McDonalds.

If it's doable, getting a barter gig at an FBO working the line and/or desk in exchange for flight time is a great gig for an aspiring pilot.

Line service is good for making contacts. Cleaning for barter probably less so, unless you start washing other customers' planes.

Nothing illegal, just depends on the flight school, so yeah, ask away.

Cash or barter is always better.

That's what I did in high school. Wasn't exactly trading work for flight time. But the money I made there went to flying which was at a discounted rate. Learned A LOT about aviation and airplanes working at the FBO. Got a lot of free flight time flying planes to get inspections done or pick up parts. Even got the keys to a few airplanes at the airport, all I had to do was put gas in them when I was done. Great job and had a lot of fun working at the airport.

Last edited:
You'd probably be better trading for time in the plane at a discounted rate, avoid the income and sales tax. More flight time for you per hour of your labor, less money government to squander, win win

Kind of a long shot here, but does anyone know if it's possible these days to exchange work at your flight school (Part 61) for flight time? I was thinking cleaning up the planes at the end of the day or doing some admin work in my spare time. Might be a way to save some money. Roughly $10/hr would mean 15 hours of work would equal about 1 hour of flight time.

Anything is possible, it most certainly does happen, whether you can make it happen there s another question. Go ask, all they can do is say no.

I did it through my PPL, at a local FBO. I'm an A&P though, so had something specific to offer. As I recall it was about 8 hours of work for each hour of flight time, so a pretty good deal. Probably the best benefit was being at the airport all the time, so scheduling was easy, and I could fly several times a week after work. I got through from intro to checkride in just under three months, which I never could have done driving to the airport for every lesson.

Patrick

I did this in the 50s. I was a 16-17 year old kid. I loved the job and loved being able to fly. I was able to build up enough time to make my solo long X-country Glendale-San Diego -Tucson & back in a Champ. It also gave me a lot of background for my later A&P IA.
Paul
Salome, AZ

I did this in the mid 90's. A broker on the field owned a few planes he rented out. I would wash/wax his inventory in exchange for flight time. I was paying 55/hr for a cherokee 140

I as a flight instructor am going to offer lessons to anyone who can help me get my 1 minute rubiks solve down by about 20 seconds. I'm serious about this so I guess it's possible to work a deal if you have something of value to offer.

I've heard it's rare. Closest I've encountered is a guy who works behind the desk at the airport and they just roll his pay into an account with the airport.

Not sure the informal "cut the grass and you can take 'er for a spin" arrangement exists much anymore.

I've heard it's rare. Closest I've encountered is a guy who works behind the desk at the airport and they just roll his pay into an account with the airport.

Not sure the informal "cut the grass and you can take 'er for a spin" arrangement exists much anymore.

Everything exists somewhere, just a question if it's happening in you neighborhood. Even if, that's not all there is. There are more than a few independent CFIs out there who will trade for unrelated services if they have a need you can fill. Nobody has to pay taxes on barter.

Back