Word 2007 issue

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I am trying to send some one a copy of a document in word. I have Word 2007 and the person on the other end has word as well but can't open the document. when I attach the document to my email its attached as
Example.docx Recipiant says the documents are comming across as HTML files.

not sure what the x is but thats what appears on my email. Is the problem on the sending end or receiving end?

Adam,

It's probably you have a newer version of Word than they do. The docx is an xml version, I think it came out with Office 2007.

You can save it in XP format or one of the older ones without loosing much.

Joe

You can save it in XP format or one of the older ones without loosing much.

That's what I'd do. Unfortunately MS makes the .docx format the default for saving files in Word 2007. An alternative is to download a converter add-on to an older version of windows which allows you to load the .docx file.

docx is the XML format of word documents. There is a patch available for them to be able to open the file, but unless you can convince them to patch, you will need to change your save format to "Word 97/2003"

You can also change the default save format to .doc but I wouldn't suggest that. XML docs are smaller and better, and people need to patch their apps.

That's what happened to my wife and I when we first got the Vista Laptop with Office on it. No one could open our files. Simple Save As to an earlier format worked fine and we didn't find any change in the main formatting. Some of the color pallets for highlighting are slightly different, so an aqua in your document may look like a solid blue in theirs if it can't match the color.

If the document is not in need of editing you should just send it as a pdf.

Options:

• You can do a "save-as" from the file menu and choose Word 97-2003 format. This will create a "normal" Word *.doc file that will be compatible with their older version of Word.
  • If you are going to have to do this a lot, you can make your default file format the 97-2003 version. Within Word, click the office button (left corner), click word options (along the bottom of pop-up window), click the save tab, under save documents, select Word 97-2003 format.
  • Alternatively, they can download an update to allow them to read the newer file format. This is probably the best option since they will probably be getting a lot of the XML based Office documents. Here's the directions: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en
  • Also, as someone just posted, you can send them a PDF. To do this from Word 2007 you can install a free add-in that will allow a "save-as" into PDF. It works great. Here are the details: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...11-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en
Good Luck,

JimC

I got it figured out I think I saved it as word 1997-2003 doc we'll see. I ususally do send it as pdf but this was to a friend and not a big issue.

If you do that, you're making it unnecessary for the whole world to go out and buy the latest versions of Windows and Office! :yikes: Windows will cause your computer to release a swarm of mosquitoes onto you. :loco:

Ain't that the truth. How MS Office remains the de facto standard when a robust, free alternative exists in OpenOffice.org is a mystery to me.

-Rich

Ain't that the truth. How MS Office remains the de facto standard when a robust, free alternative exists in OpenOffice.org is a mystery to me.

-Rich
Fear of mosquitoes?

I've been using Open Office for a while now and really like it. My next computer system will not have MS Office. OO will read MSO files just fine.

Joe

Back