woohoo got to fly!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Soaring actually looked good for tuesday as we got on the other side of a cold front. Good northwesterly winds, hardly any clouds. I couldnt get a tow until 3 but I took it and headed downwind. Initial climb put me at 5300 MSL I cruised for a long time between 4 and 5000, made it to Colfax, IA in under an hour, then could sense lift starting to weaken. Couldnt quite make it to 5000 anymore, I started heading towards the Newton Airport as the Corn is almost as tall as I am now and even landing in the beans would cause damage. Caught a good thermal on the way and made it back to 5000ish. Then decided it would be just as easy to make it to Newton (9 miles, crosswind) as it would to make Pella (20 miles, downwind) I basically started following Highway 163 and ended up landing out between Monroe and Pella. The spot I found was ideal, an old dirt road leading to an abandoned Coal mine, just had to put the glider between the Corn and Soybean field and life was good with excellent access to the road. Spent longer waiting for retrieve than actually flying. leah came and got me. Got to watch the regional fireworks shows on the drive home, and now I have to get to work. Will post pictures of landout site this afternoon.

tonycondon said:
The spot I found was ideal, an old dirt road leading to an abandoned Coal mine, just had to put the glider between the Corn and Soybean field and life was good

Sounds like a blast. The Chilhowee Glider Port is very near to here, I should do that next BFR time. They have a power to glider transition program for $1549, does that sound reasonable?

http://www.chilhowee.com/

That sounds about right Bill. I have met Sara(h), who runs Chilhowee and it is top notch, well known in the glider community.

What would it take to get to be on the 'list' for glider towing pilots? My CFI over in Moline said he has started dropping skydivers around Aledo, IL and said he wishes I was there to help out b/c they are usually swamped! I've thought about heading out here to Boone to talk to the skydive guys here, as well.

My *plan* is to take my yearly bonuses this year and put them into flight training... IR -> Comm -> *maybe* CFII.

Any leads on how hard it is to get in on the glider towing for post Comm?

-Chris

If you just want to be able to tow in general, you need nothing more than a Tow Pilot Endorsement. Basically you and your instructor do several real or simulated (how do you simulated a glider pulling behind you?) tows and review standard procedures/signals and whatever and off you go.

if you are specifically asking about the Ames club:
1 Join the club
2 Join the Soaring Society of America
3 Have at least 25 hrs (I think) tailwheel time, im sure youve got more than that.
4 get checked out in super cub and get tow pilot endorsement
5 have fun!

PM me if you want contact info for the club president/chief towpilot. Also, we have discussed it on the board, but im pretty sure the consensus is that you dont have to have the commercial to tow for a club, since its a not for profit type of operation.

Also, I have heard that flying skydivers over in Boone is not a money making venture. Basically they pay very little per load, and unlike some operations where the parachutes are ready to go, they repack between loads, so if you are lucky you take 2 loads an hour. would be cheap flying though.

and here are the pictures.

first is pretty much exaclty where it stopped rolling, tied down. I had about 5 foot clearance on the right for the corn, left wing overhung the soybeans by 3 feet or so. I turned final lined up for the beans and once clear of the trees sashayed over to the "road"

second is me untying, starting the derig.

third is after we got it on the trailer, last shot of my runway for the day.

Attachments

• DSC00563.JPG
    DSC00563.JPG
    530.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00566.JPG
    DSC00566.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00569.JPG
    DSC00569.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 6
Back