Woohoo! Got to fly today!

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
My last entry was 5.5 weeks ago, November 28th. December really sucked for getting any flying in between weather, the plane being in annual, and everything I had to do related to Christmas etc.

Today I had the plane reserved for the morning. I got to the airport and preflighted it. My instructor came up with me for 3 touch-and-gos to make sure I hadn't forgotten which way was up, which way was down, etc.

I then just flew around for close to 3 hours having a blast just getting in a plane again and going up in the sky. I went out and practiced turns, stalls, played around with the VOR, and just being thrilled with getting to do that wonderful thing again that is flying. Normally after about 2 hours or so I'm when I'm just flying within a 25 mile radius of IPT, but today was definitely not one of those days. I would have stayed up longer had my time not been running out before someone else was to have the plane (and the amount of fuel in the tanks beginning to get a bit low).

Tomorrow I have the plane again, and I can't wait! :D

Great feeling isn't it Ted.... I got up today too. Called and my instructor is away, but another said she could add me to her day right after lunch,.. so off I went. I posted in another thread.

Congrats,.. let's hope the winter stays like today!

Rob

I got to fly on Saturday too. I had originally planned on flying from SGR to 3T5 for an EAA BBQ, but the weather didn't look too good out to the west. So, my two friends and I just flew around the Houston area a bit. I coordinated with SGR tower to get me a squawk code and handoff to Houston approach, from whom I got a Class B clearance to go through the I-10 corridor. I requested and was allowed to circle downtown before going out to the San Jacinto monument and circled that a couple of times. Then we came back through the corridor and went north to DWH where we landed and had lunch at the Aviator's Grill (some of the best burgers in Houston). After lunch we took off and did a couple of touch & goes at TME before circling my house and then returning to SGR. My friends are a husband and wife who had not flown in anything smaller than a "Teller-mobile" (B1900), and they had a great time. She flew right seat from SGR - DWH, and they swapped places after lunch. He took the controls for a little bit and did pretty well. They said that they had a great time and look forward to going again. On another bright note, I landed in the stiffest crosswind I ever had and did rather well with it, albeit a bit flat on landing :).

My friends are a husband and wife who had not flown in anything smaller than a "Teller-mobile" (B1900), and they had a great time.

:rofl: That's a new one.

That doesn't sound like too bad of a day, PJ!

Hum, didn't see fit to mention anything about the 'maynard street bridge' incident did ya....

Ok ok, you did really well in a moderate traffic situation even with that.

(Ted couldn't get it straight that he was to look for traffice on final over the maynard street bridge instead of reporting over the maynard street bridge)

For IPT 4 in the pattern and 4 inbound is heavy day and Ted did just fine. I was following him around the pattern since it had been since November 11 since I had been able to fly. I had my share of flup up's too... 'Williamsport ground, no wait your tower 62G ready to go ninner for pattern work' and so did tower.

Missa

Hum, didn't see fit to mention anything about the 'maynard street bridge' incident did ya....

Yeah, that was my significant screw-up of the day.

Ok ok, you did really well in a moderate traffic situation even with that.

Thank you! :) That's the first thing you've said about my flying that day that wasn't harassing me! ;)

(Ted couldn't get it straight that he was to look for traffice on final over the maynard street bridge instead of reporting over the maynard street bridge)

This was a general brain fart on my part. It should be noted, Tower was telling people to report when they were over a lot of things that I couldn't see them necessarily knowing, especially since I wasn't sure about half of them and this is where I fly! Everyone was screwing up on the radio that day somewhat, but thankfully the important things got across.

For IPT 4 in the pattern and 4 inbound is heavy day and Ted did just fine. I was following him around the pattern since it had been since November 11 since I had been able to fly. I had my share of flup up's too... 'Williamsport ground, no wait your tower 62G ready to go ninner for pattern work' and so did tower.

And when I heard you say that I burst out laughing somewhere over the Williamsport VOR, and decided I should come join the fun. :)

Having 4 in the pattern is pretty significant at IPT, and we were up to 5 at one point when someone was coming in for ILS landing. Solo, that is the most I've flown around, which is part of the reason why I came in to fly like that - I figured it would be good practice and entertaining. There was one point pre-solo when flying with my CFI that we had 6 or 7 around, including one that didn't understand his place in line (BEHIND me as opposed to in front of). While my radio work was still not great by any stretch of the imagination, I seemed to (mostly) understand what was being told to me, and convey things properly. Missa was kind enough to point out a few things I needed to improve upon, though. ;)

Back