Woodstock's (N5353Q) Panel Upgrade

150pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
150pilot
Hello,

Relatively new to the board here. First post. My plane is a 1972 Cessna 150 Texas Taildragger (STOL kit, tailwheel conversion and 150hp Lycoming O-320-E2D) that I've owned since 1994. Back in 1995 and 1996 I upgraded the avionics to all Narco. I picked Narco as they were just down the road from where I lived and thought it would be easy to take anything to them to get overhauled, fixed and/or upgraded. Turns out Narco didn't get on the GPS wagon and by 2011 they were out of business.

With the January 1, 2020 ADS-B OUT mandate looming it would be necessary for me to equip to continue flights into the FRZ and even around my home airport, Pennridge, Pennsylvania (KCKZ), just outside of the Philadelphia Mode C ring.

So with the old radios and the ADS-B OUT mandate coming it was time to upgrade the panel. I've replaced four vacuum pumps over the years and had AI and DG overhauled at least three times each. I wanted to get rid of the vacuum system.

The audio panel/intercom/COM1 is a PS Engineering PAR200A, COM2 is an Icom A220, the transponder is a Appareo ESGi (the "i" is a remote mounted Stratus 3) and dual Garmin G5s. The Garmin Aera 660 was moved to the panel where the CDI for the VOR used to be located and a remote GDL 50R was installed for ADS-B into that unit. The Stratus 3i talks to the iPad. I have this redundancy gene from my Navy days and like having two means of getting navigation information into the cockpit. I use Foreflight for "macro" navigation (greater than 20 miles) and the Aera 660 for "micro" navigation (less than 10-20 miles).

So... here are two videos I took with the iPhone. The first was for the shop describing what was in there and what I wanted to do with the panel. The second is the "after action" report with all the new stuff. I have to do the ADS-B verification flight for the Stratus ESGi. Hopefully tomorrow.

That's quite the 150. Nothing like the ones I trained in decades ago. :eek::D

Back