Woo hoo 100% on the PPL written!

BeRad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Master Shake
Just had to tell someone who would care...

test.JPG

Man, your oral test is going to be tough, that's all I've got to say about it. They are going to grill you like there's no tomorrow, they'll think you just memorized the test and don't know diddly about the real stuff. Man oh man :frown3:

Now for the serious comment... Congratulations there aren't a lot of those out there you should be proud :D If it were me I would say I was just lucky on the ones I guessed on :rofl:

CONGRATULATIONS! That is a great feeling to have that out of the way. I still remember that I got a 98% on mine, but still want to protest my score cuz the one question I missed was about manifold pressure in a complex a/c and I was training in Warriors and Archers! Oh well...I got through it. Have fun with the restof your training! :)

Last edited:
Congratulations,

To give you an example of how well you did these are the numbers for the Private Pilot Airplane written for the year 2009.

Private Pilot Airplane (test given) 24,098 (pass rate) 91.69% (average score)83.96

If interested you can go here and look at the different test and statistics: http://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/test_statistics/

Last edited:
Man, your oral test is going to be tough, that's all I've got to say about it. They are going to grill you like there's no tomorrow, they'll think you just memorized the test and don't know diddly about the real stuff. Man oh man :frown3:

Now for the serious comment... Congratulations there aren't a lot of those out there you should be proud :D If it were me I would say I was just lucky on the ones I guessed on :rofl:

The FAA has stopped making the knowledge test questions available to the public with the exception of a few "sample questions" on the faa.gov website http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/

The test guides out now have a few of the actual questions but that's it. Eventually they will have none of the actual questions.

The days of memorizing the answers are dwindling away. :rolleyes:

Thanks. It's been a long time coming for me. I started training in '98 and ran out of money, twice. It was easy to study for the test this time because I still remembered most stuff, so I was able to focus on my weaker subjects.

I have about 50 hours but haven't flown in about ten years. I'm planning on getting back in the air in the next couple weeks, hopefully. I've only flown Cessnas but I think I'll be flying a Cherokee. Anyone here have experience with resuming training after a long lay-off?

The FAA has stopped making the knowledge test questions available to the public with the exception of a few "sample questions" on the faa.gov website http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/

The test guides out now have a few of the actual questions but that's it. Eventually they will have none of the actual questions.

There was a few questions that I'm sure I never saw in any of the practice tests, but fortunately they were pretty easy. (I used the Sporty's online.) I did have most of the answers memorized from having done so many practice tests, but I do feel like I understand the subjects.

Congrats, welcome to the board.

Thanks. I've been a long time reader of this and other message boards. It's really helped me keep up to date on all things aviation in my years of being stuck on the ground. Thanks to everyone who posts and answers questions on here, I owe some of the credit of my 100% to you!

All of my comments were meant in jest, except the congratulations.. that was earnest:yesnod:

I soloed in 1979 then had to quit because of being very poor and a family being started. When my first grand child was born in 2007, to the daughter that was the reason for me stopping my flying, I started back with lessons. I basically started from scratch and it took me an average number of hours to get my PPL. I did score a 92 on my written though :D

You should be better than I was because it wasn't nearly the break between stopping and starting again, and you had a whole lot more hours than I did when I quit.

Good luck have a great time and, again, congratulations on the written you should be very happy and proud.

Congrats, and enjoy all the real learning that happens after the book-learnin' is over. :D

Thanks. It's been a long time coming for me. I started training in '98 and ran out of money, twice. It was easy to study for the test this time because I still remembered most stuff, so I was able to focus on my weaker subjects.

I have about 50 hours but haven't flown in about ten years. I'm planning on getting back in the air in the next couple weeks, hopefully. I've only flown Cessnas but I think I'll be flying a Cherokee. Anyone here have experience with resuming training after a long lay-off?

Way to go!
I started flying again after a 13 year hiatus. It took about 15 hours to get back in the groove. The instructors on the board say the rule of thumb is one hour of dual for each year off.
Most stuff was still in my head, like checklists and procedures. Most of the time was just gettong comfortable controlling an airplane again.

Congratulations, Bradley! How far are you in the flight training?

I hadn't heard that. I knew that they changed the calculation problems so that you actually had to do the calculations "live", but that was all I was aware of. Of course, the testing guides solicit questions from test takers, and always have done so, so they'll continue to have a good number of actual test questions. It'll be harder for the sites like Sporty's, though, if they aren't soliciting too. And it will probably start to result in a greater variation amongst the guides.

Congratulations, Bradley! How far are you in the flight training?

Okay, someday Grant will learn how to read (or will remember what he read a whole 2 minutes ago). Until then, he'll blame it on old age! :)

Way to go!
I started flying again after a 13 year hiatus. It took about 15 hours to get back in the groove. The instructors on the board say the rule of thumb is one hour of dual for each year off.
Most stuff was still in my head, like checklists and procedures. Most of the time was just gettong comfortable controlling an airplane again.

I started flying again this week. I don't know how I lived without it for so long!

After my first hour I can tell the one hour per year rule of thumb will be just about right. In some ways it was easy and like I never left the air, but overall I can tell it will take at least ten hours or so to really get back to being proficient with everything.

I did steep turns and ground reference maneuvers in my first flight, which felt great. Not perfect but within Practical Test Standards. My landings were pretty dicey, however. I'm flying a heavier and faster airplane (172k with 180hp and a constant speed prop), so landing felt very different. I didn't feel like I got a proper flare until my last landing. (And barely on that one...) Felt more like controlled crashes onto the runway. My instructor said they were fine but I think he was just trying to encourage me, ha. I didn't bounce, bend anything, or drive off the side of the runway so I guess they were successful!

I started flying again this week. I don't know how I lived without it for so long!

After my first hour I can tell the one hour per year rule of thumb will be just about right.

That rule seems to be good for up to about 15 years. Beyond that, it should flatten out. It took me about 15 hours after a 35 year no fly period.

Back