Woo! CSEL ride passed!!!

BZ, Brent! Going to join up with us next Sunday (5/3) at Lake Lawn to tell us all about it?

Congrats Brent! I'm looking forward to hearing the details. :)

Nice Job!

I remember my CSEL ride with out of control winds, especially ending up with a 12 kt tail wind trying to hit the 1000' marker. The examiner let that one slide. :eek:

Congrats!
-Brian

Thanks All!!:):)

Tomorrow, I promise....I went to Socal for the checkride, (wanted to get out of the midwest and experience a new geographic region) and between make-up work from school and a 4 hour delay into ORD this weekend, it's almost finished...

Brent

PS---I'll try Grant, but no guarantees...I'd really like to, but senioritis and a future scholarship unfortunately don't mix well:nonod::D

Hi All,

This is the writeup of my ride in a Arrow....

I had the typcial "checkride cram" just before noon. Got to the airport a little
after 11 and figured I had more than enough time to print off wx charts and
finish my XC with current weather...Well I asked the DE for 10 minutes to
finish when he walked in the door at noon, and he said "sure no problem."
Went up to meet him. He looked over my logbook endorsements,
certificate, medical, ID, and he made sure I met the 61.129 experience requirements. From there he asked me to show
him the inspections in the ac logbooks. We also discussed ADs, and on how I knew they had all been complied with. He then had me show him the prop/engine
logbooks to make sure they matched the airframe logbook.

From there he asked me about my XC I had planned. I said that no way would we fly
due to the IFR that were forecast all day along our route. He then asked me about the
weather the briefer told me and "what is going on today," and I volunterred
the wx charts I had just printed. We touched on all of them, I told him everything about them, and we moved on. He then asked me about airmets/sigmets, and I said everything about them, and we moved on. We then talked about airspace. Essentially, I just
receited the dimensions and entry requirement equipment for all classes, and
that was it.

He did point to a part of the sectional and asked me how low
the class E went there. I of course immediately said "700AGL" but
then corrected myself and said well, my little voice in my head doesn't like
that answer so let me think about this. He said that my little voice was
correct. I thought a second and realized that since there was no magenta
shading or blue shading, it had to be "one of those areas in the mountains
where class e starts at 14.5K." He said yep, and that was pretty much all
about airspace. Oh, also before airspace he essentailly asked me to explain
common carriage and holding out, and what does a commercial license do for
you. He also asked, "I want you to fly me to XYZ, can you do it?" I
explained the whole, "well, who iniated the conversation/who owns the plane,
etc" and he was happy. From here I'm pretty sure we hit systems. It was a lot less
than I was expecting. ( I was expecting to diagram multiple systems from memory...) He asked me about how the landing gear system
worked. I told him just the basics, electrohydralic, electric pump,
hydrlyicly powered, etc. He posed some situations to me about what would I
do with not 3 green, ie how would I trouble shoot. One of the scenarios I
thought over, telling him my actions, etc., and I decided a gear up landing
would be the best choice. He was happy. From there he said, I am a drop of fuel, take me through my path of the fuel system, starting of course in the tank. I did so and we moved onto the electrical system. I told him the primary and secondary
sources, etc, and he posed to me some situations about no power, including a
dead battery, and a alternator and a dead battery.

No problems, and we
moved onto performace. I have always been comforatble with the orals and a time or two in my IR oral and starting at this point, I purposely added on more to an answer so he would inevitably ask me a question I knew the answer to:) He asked me the service ceiling of the airplane. I said I didn't
know but looked it up and while doing so added, "probably above the o2
requirements." So then my next question of course was the O2 reg. We
talked about density altitude, and how would I determine if it was 100F at my destination, if I would fly home to my orign, me telling him my thought process, and going
through the density altitude chart, and him agreeing that we would be OK to
come back and clear the terrain. Uhhh, I'm drawing a blank on what was
next. He also looked over my nav log and asked how much fuel/time to get to my destination and what the VFR minimum requirements are. I think we talked about
airport ops next. Him asking me about what is wind shear, and how would I
know I was experienceing it on final and what would I do to get out of it.
He asked me about why the rotating beacon would be on during the day.
Somewhere along the lines we talked about a CS prop. I stuck with the basics "well, in a FP prop like a 172, when you
pitch up, the rpms decrease, and in a CS prop, the angle of the blade is
changed by oil pressure to maintain the rpm setting" and he was satisified.
He asked about propeller overspeed and what I woudl do, and what would a low
oil pressure indication indicate, and how I would react. Somewhere along the lines he asked me "what is a chord line, and what is the camber of the wing."

We also talked about the lift to drag ratio and verbally discussed that one
graph that is in all the CP books with the L/D ratio...He also asked me
about the characteristics of stable and unstable airmass.

That was pretty much it. I don't think I missed too much. Fairly straight forward I would say...

I got a standard brief, and then off to preflight. Getting in and start up was
normal. Before we got in, he asked me to show him the required documents.
Straight forward taxi/runup.
Did a short field takeoff, no problems.

Did a left downwind departure, I flew to my checkpoint . As it came in sight, he questioned me about "do I have any airspace
ahead?" I said that yes, I do, but I pointed out to landmarks that "if we stay south of, we will stay clear..." He
then said that since I had my checkpoint in sight (we weren't all the way
there) and my time was good, to divert a nearbyish field with tons of restricted airspace surrounding it.
I put my finger on the chart and then over the VOR and got a rough 190
heading...Then turned to that heading, and counted the latitude lines to
give him a distance and time to the diversion. He then said OK, lets go, how are you going to get there? I started off, and after looking at the
sectional, said that I'd stay east of the interstate to avoid the restricted
space, and that it would take us right to our new destination. He checked my explanation and said great, lets go do some manauvers. We got over to the practice area, and he said he
wanted to see a Chandelle. I did clearing turns and then did one to the
right (due to the easier/less coordination thing...) I used a lake as my reference point, which was solid, as I adjusted my rollout to match the decaying AS I needed, and just as my
wing hit the lake, the stall light flashed....

He said GREAT, and show me
slow flight. Got configured, he said to maintain 70 mph and my current altitude. I did maybe a 60 degree turn to the left, then back right, and he
said that was good. He then wanted me to go into a poweroff stall. I did
so, and recovered. He then
told me to go right into a power
on stall, I think with a slight turn. No problems, and we soon moved on.
He said that was good, then pulled the power to
idle and said this is your emergency.
I did my flow check, he was happy, and then flew the plane. I spiraled down over my field, nailed it, and he said "great, you
survived, and the plane took minimal damage, show me a chandelle." I picked two points, and did one, no problems. He said that was good, lets go do
some landings.

First landing was just a normal touch and go. (his choice) Next was a soft field landing, followed by a touch and go to a soft field takeoff. Nothing unusual. From here he said to make the next one a normal landing. I didn't think we were finished yet, but did as he said. As I turned final, he asked me if
everything was OK? Just as he said that I noticed I didn't have 3 green,
and I replied, "no, gear is not down, you flicked the lights on, going
around..." He said, "yes I did.."

Went around and next up was a power off 180. I thought I was going to come up about 5 feet short of the markers, but I held it off and touched down right on the markers.....He said great, touch and go, short field landing, then we are done. I did so, touched down, he said great, take me back and don't hit anything. We shut
down and that was it:)

Windy day, the ground ref maneuvers must have been fun!

Good job on the Comm ride!!

Thanks...When you mentioned, I checked the wx here. I only had 18ish kts--right down the runway...Coming home the next day on UAL was mod turb and diversions around extreme precip--that was nuts...

BZ, Brent! Going to join up with us next Sunday (5/3) at Lake Lawn to tell us all about it?

I should know by Friday...Everyone is going, I assume?

Thanks,

Brent

Hi All,

This is the writeup of my ride in a Arrow....

Sounds like a fun ride. What airport out west did you do it out of?

Back