Wonderful Galveston Departure

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Went to a wedding Saturday and wound up departing at night to the south (runway 18) which took me right out over the ocean.
A few things made this distinctive and memorable.
Before the departure, I had to do the pre-flight in the dark with the FBO closed. Tower was also closed. Don't like doing that for several reasons including not having any help if it's needed, but I had a flashlight and the pre-flight went well.

When I had arrived earlier, I had another plane call in reporting its position where I was! I was about two miles on a right base to 18 on the visual and had been turned over by approach to tower when I checked in. Shortly after checking in, an experimental called two mile right base to the same runway. I started looking around: nothing on Skywatch. Tower questioned the pilot and after some back and forth it turned out he was on a left base and slower than me. Tower clarified that and corrected him. It made an impression on me that some local pilots might not be making the best reports which served well later (g).

After starting up and doing checks, clearance issued my departure which had me climb to 4,000 and upon reaching controlled airspace, turn right over Houston on a DP; call when I was number one. I taxied out and it was very dark except for airport lighting. There was a 4,000 foot solid overcast layer above.

I taxied to runway 18 holding short on E to complete departure checks. While there, a Cessna called in stating he was three miles out for runway 14. That runway would intersect 18 more than half way down and I thought about taxiing into position, but decided to wait until he landed. I saw a landing light that seemed lined up for 18. Anyway as you might guess, he made another call one mile out, then, he landing right in front of me on 18.

I didn't see any traffic behind him and there was none on CTAF, so I made a call, taxied out and departed. The landing lights on my plane are on the gear, so, as soon as I began the climb, I turned off the lights and raised the gear to find it pitch black in front of the runway. No ground reference at all. I climbed, called CTAF stating I was departing straight out, called approach and they called radar contact shortly and had me start the right turn and cleared me to 160. I climbed through clouds at 4,000 and once on top, there was crescent moon illuminating cloud tops that was exquisite. It was as if there was a white carpet below and clear sky with stars above. Couldn't see ground lights at all from Houston below. One of those special experiences that reminds us why we love to fly.

Best,

Dave

Always enjoy your stories like this, Dave. Keep them coming!!!

I'm disappointed Dave. No dancing girls? No gun fights? No eluding the DEA or ATF? Your stories need more work! :D

Us lowly piston single guys are just trying to live Icariously through you.

Last edited:
Geesh Ed! I hope those days are behind me (g). Just one of those wonderful moments that want us all to keep flying. Hope all is well with you.

Best,

Dave

Great story, Dave. Exactly why I love to fly.

Geesh Ed! I hope those days are behind me (g). Just one of those wonderful moments that want us all to keep flying. Hope all is well with you.

Best,

Dave

Most of my time is piston time. Wonderful stuff. Noting lowly to it IMO unless you mean below the flight levels :)

Best,

Dave

When your wings melt you come back down into the snow. :D

Nice post Dave!

Most of my time is piston time. Wonderful stuff. Noting lowly to it IMO unless you mean below the flight levels :)

Of course, your last piston did the flight levels just fine. :)

I had the 310 up to FL190. With naturally aspirated engines pulling about 14", I gave up not long after getting there. Now, the T310R pulling 33.5" at FL200, that was fun!

I've flown in/out of KGLS three times now from KGTU (Austin area) and can see, esp at night how someone could pick the wrong runway landing to the south. I've landed to the south all three times and on my first trip I had studied my map so closely I knew I needed to line up with the causeway which would be a right base to make 18. So, as soon as I had visual I knew where I was going. My last trip there the wind was at my personal limits - even the Houston controller when handing me off and giving me GLS weather said, "Careful, it's pretty windy down there...". The winds had climbed a good 10 knots higher than forecasted and were gusting almost 30knots about 15 degrees off the runway heading. I was prepared to go around several times to get the best shot at it but managed to get her down on the first try. My passenger, my bro-in-law who was on his first GA flight said it was a good one so even though I thought it sucked...nothing got bent...so I'll take it. Always interesting to see what you're going to get flying in/out of there.

My plane has a HSI with a heading bug and part of my landing checklist is to line the heading bug up with the runway heading I'm flying. It helps to make sure that 1) when I'm on final - I'm on the right runway and 2) spatial orientation with an unfamiliar or dark field aligning yourself to the runway. You know if your flying parallel or what not to the runway you are supposed to land on.

Anyway, love your stories as well. I hope someday that we can do a POA Texas meetup somewhere. KGLS seems like as good a place as any. :)

I hope someday that we can do a POA Texas meetup somewhere. KGLS seems like as good a place as any. :)

If don't do it in Texas, there's always Gaston's in June.

I've taken off at night towards the Gulf in clear weather from GLS, and as I recall I was IMC pretty much at rotation, since all that could be seen was little point source lights, some on the water, some in the sky.

If I were a CFI, it would seem a good place to take a student on a night cross country so that they could have a the 'night VFR no reference' experience.

But then again, I wonder what are the chances of a student putting the airplane in an unusual attitude close to the water in a case like that?

But then again, I wonder what are the chances of a student putting the airplane in an unusual attitude close to the water in a case like that?

Somewhere around 10-15 hours total time, my instructor and I flew what would later be my Aztec on a night XC of the sort you describe. Rotate, IMC. First time flying a twin of any sort. I went on instruments pretty much immediately. That was good since my instructor was trying to get the heater started - it was really, really cold in there.

Ken: It seems like good procedure to line up the heading bug or course needle to runway heading at some point to double check runway. I also do that departing--more than once I've gotten a bit misoriented and that helps me. I have three Garmin units in my plane and had the last segment of the RNAV approach highlighted to be sure I was headed right and can also see how someone could get mixed up. I didn't mean to pick; just reported what actually happened (g).
I always check runway a few miles out. VFR, one can do an extended centerline on the Garmin unit also to assist. I do it all the time.

I guess another thing I walked away with was not depending on someone in another plane to be correct when calling in; especially important at an uncontrolled field.

Best,

Dave

My plane has a HSI with a heading bug and part of my landing checklist is to line the heading bug up with the runway heading I'm flying. It helps to make sure that 1) when I'm on final - I'm on the right runway and 2) spatial orientation with an unfamiliar or dark field aligning yourself to the runway. You know if your flying parallel or what not to the runway you are supposed to land on.

I do the same thing with my heading indicator, but one additional step I include is to make sure to cross-check with the compass so that I'm not fooled by gyro precession. (I've never flown with an HSI, and I think some are slaved to remote compasses, so maybe you don't need to worry about that in your plane...)

I earned my wings at Houston Gulf/Spaceland, 20 miles up from GLS.. I always enjoyed flying into Galveston (it was untowered then)….

The one caveat, that you touched on was the black hole departure… the initial departure climb at night for me was always on the gauges…

on a clear night the region is beautiful at night.

I remember flying out of Gulf with a buddy, before I had my own ticket. Sure miss that strip!

I'm out of T41 now, and visit GLS frequently. The "black hole" comments surprise me a little...most of the time, there are dozens and dozens of lights from ships and oil platforms, and they're lots brighter than the stars. Might not be able to make out a solid horizon, but I've never felt disoriented.

I remember flying out of Gulf with a buddy, before I had my own ticket. Sure miss that strip!

I'm out of T41 now, and visit GLS frequently. The "black hole" comments surprise me a little...most of the time, there are dozens and dozens of lights from ships and oil platforms, and they're lots brighter than the stars. Might not be able to make out a solid horizon, but I've never felt disoriented.

It was never disorienting… but that initial climb out in pipers and mooneys tended to obscure the horizon.. thats what I remember… at night..

But yes.. there's plenty of stuff out there when level to make a horizon…

Back