Women...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
You suppose I can pick up any chicks with this?

8proc.JPG

123/5972 ?

Nah - just shows you aren't ready for commitment.

:D:D:yes::yes::rofl::rofl:

That much power and only thirty processes shows you waste time and money. ;)

Besides, everyone knows Chicks dig Unix.

:D

Last edited:
wbarnhill said:
That much power and only thirty processes shows you waste time and money. ;)

Amen....

Code:
[root@blade ~]# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          4960       1306       3654          0        105        400
-/+ buffers/cache:        799       4160
Swap:         2047          0       2047

[root@blade ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 33
model name      : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 275
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2193.172
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 4392.64
TLB size        : 1088 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp

processor       : 1
physical id     : 0
core id         : 1
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 4385.71

processor       : 2
physical id     : 1
core id         : 0

processor       : 3
physical id     : 1
core id         : 1

oh dear, i thought i was a nerd...

thanks guys :)

wbarnhill said:
So true..Problem is I don't have a Linux server with 8 processors in it right now...
Code:
root@primary:/home/jangell# cat /proc/cpuinfo
model           : 37
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1991.953
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3988.00
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages

root@primary:/home/jangell#

Pick up chicks? How about just mailing them a vintage gps.

Ahem. :D

p8cleared2land said:

Oh ****. I'm an ass...Soon...Soon..

p8cleared2land said:

I don't care who you are - that right there is FUNNY! :rofl:

I didn't realize I'd strayed into the Technical corner, until I saw the screen shot.
:p
Should I be embarrassed to admit I didn't even get the joke?

infotango said:
Should I be embarrassed to admit I didn't even get the joke?

If you look at my screenshot under 'CPU History' you will see eight processors. There is not a girl out there that wouldn't throw herself all over me if I mentioned I was equipped with eight processsors. Or at least that's what happend in my dream :(

Funny, when I showed my wife our 16-way i570 at work (that's 16 dual core power-5's), she didn't seem to impressed...

Now what I think is impressive is our 7TB of unallocated disk space in our SAN...

inav8r said:
Funny, when I showed my wife our 16-way i570 at work (that's 16 dual core power-5's), she didn't seem to impressed...

Now what I think is impressive is our 7TB of unallocated disk space in our SAN...
"Drooling all over 7TB of unallocated disk space" ... in about 3 seconds flat, I would have that 7TB allocated to Oracle tablespaces and be bugging you for another 20TB ... oh, and by the way, I need another 40G of memory...

inav8r said:
But what your wife thinks is, "Typical, all that potential and he won't lift a finger to use it..." ;)

jangell said:
Some of them are decent. Some of them sort of scare me. Maybe I'm too picky.
You aren't too picky, some really are quite scary.

Thanks for the explaination too!

gkainz said:
oh, and by the way, I need another 40G of memory...
If you need another 40G of memory on top of the 112G in the system, you've got oracle configured wrong! :hairraise:

Nope, it's configured fine. "I need another 40G" is just a weekly request...keeps mgmt on their toes!

On the other hand, these @$%^$# java programs that the kids are writing nowadays are the biggest memory hogs I have ever seen in my life. I don't know if it's java, poor coding practices or just the way the universities are teaching it, but I can put 500 users on a client/server connection to the database and perform just fine, but 250 java connections brings a big server to its knees.

gkainz said:
On the other hand, these @$%^$# java programs that the kids are writing nowadays are the biggest memory hogs I have ever seen in my life. I don't know if it's java, poor coding practices or just the way the universities are teaching it, but I can put 500 users on a client/server connection to the database and perform just fine, but 250 java connections brings a big server to its knees.
I'll wager on poor coding practices. Have you traced any of those connections to see what they're doing?

gkainz said:

You think that is bad...You should see the .NET app I am dealing with right now. A fairly small database..and three connections to this thing and it will bring a dual processor Opteron server to it's knees.

But apperantly that is to be expected according to the worthless.....ers that wrote it.

jangell said:
You think that is bad...You should see the .NET app I am dealing with right now. A fairly small database..and three connections to this thing and it will bring a dual processor Opteron server to it's knees.

But apperantly that is to be expected according to the worthless.....ers that wrote it.
That would definitely be bad coding. Don't suppose you have a copy of the source? :)

Greebo said:
I'll wager on poor coding practices. Have you traced any of those connections to see what they're doing?
Previous client and completed contract, but as I recall, there was a lot of connection just to test the connectivity, then a query to select count(*) from a table just to prove to themselves the table existed (a real pet peeve of mine on big tables), another query to select and download to the client a huge batch of records to sort thru on the client and then another query to finally pull down the particular record of interest. I cajole, I preach, I suggest, I teach, I yell and scream and threaten... they just don't listen! and then I implement Oracle resource limits and let them explain to their manager why they burned up 20 minutes of CPU time, multiple gigs of I/O and multiple sessions to the database to update one record.

Greebo said:
That would definitely be bad coding. Don't suppose you have a copy of the source? :)

I wish.

All that tech stuff....all they are really interested in is the size of your hard drive and the interface. Maybe available cache too.....:rofl:

had to reply, here's one of my domains - the other 8 cpu are in the other domain.

Not only are my 6800's dandy database servers, but you can pop popcorn at the exhaust fan!

root@hrcsun90# mpstat
CPU minf mjf xcal intr ithr csw icsw migr smtx srw syscl usr sys wt idl
0 18 1 222 282 180 195 1 6 23 0 177 10 2 1 87
1 17 0 50 5 1 180 1 9 18 0 45 8 2 1 89
2 17 1 60 5 1 176 1 9 17 0 50 8 2 1 89
3 17 0 321 91 87 173 1 9 19 0 53 8 2 1 89
8 17 1 7 5 1 177 1 8 18 0 68 8 2 1 89
9 17 1 54 5 1 179 1 8 18 0 83 9 2 1 88
10 17 1 62 27 22 177 1 8 19 0 86 9 2 1 88
11 17 1 205 13 9 181 1 8 18 0 87 9 2 1 88
16 17 1 59 5 1 183 1 8 18 0 97 9 2 1 88
17 17 1 76 5 1 181 1 7 18 0 117 9 2 1 88
18 17 1 78 5 1 181 1 7 19 0 126 9 2 1 88
19 18 1 101 5 1 183 1 7 19 0 144 9 2 1 88
20 15 1 29 474 470 162 1 7 24 0 48 8 3 1 88
21 18 1 108 5 1 182 1 7 18 0 136 9 2 1 88
22 18 1 129 5 1 182 1 7 19 0 145 9 2 1 88
23 18 1 132 5 1 181 1 7 18 0 137 9 2 1 88

I just picked up a new server for a new business endeavor of mine...Still waiting for the women to come knocking on my door.

Code:
root@www1 [~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
model           : 35
model name      : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 170
cpu MHz         : 1995.603
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
bogomips        : 3992.40

processor       : 1
model           : 35
model name      : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 170
cpu MHz         : 1995.603
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
bogomips        : 3989.43

root@www1 [~]#

We'll see if this helps. I added it to my Myspace Profile
http://www.myspace.com/jesseangell

Gee, I am such a square. Only having one processor and all...plus I took one look at Jesse's Friends Space and was howling with laughter. I guess I'm getting old. Hopefully my airplane will draw the chicks instead ;)

RE: why programs are so danged bloated and slow nowadays....

We've become spoiled. Programming languages are becoming more advanced, letting the programmer simply click a button or type a single command that will do 4 different things. No longer does he have to look into the SDK for that specific command to do what he wants... it's already bundled in another command. Downside? Useless code is being executed simply because it's wrapped with another instruction. But we don't care because our machines run instructions at speeds where an additional instruction or 30000 won't cause *too* much delay. Personally, I think we need to get back to the basics, but with Visual Studio, .NET, C#, etc, we've headed pretty far down the line of not caring about how tight the code is. Hell, the colleges don't even teach an assembly language anymore as a required course. I couldn't even get my university to offer an assembly course as a Special Topics course.

Cue the old timers and stories of trays of unnumbered punch cards falling to the floor.

alaskaflyer said:
Gee, I am such a square. Only having one processor and all...plus I took one look at Jesse's Friends Space and was howling with laughter. I guess I'm getting old. Hopefully my airplane will draw the chicks instead ;)

I know I'm betraying my fellow geeks, but I'd rather take a ratty old 152 over a beowulf cluster anyday.

wbarnhill said:
RE: why programs are so danged bloated and slow nowadays....

We've become spoiled. Programming languages are becoming more advanced, letting the programmer simply click a button or type a single command that will do 4 different things. No longer does he have to look into the SDK for that specific command to do what he wants... it's already bundled in another command. Downside? Useless code is being executed simply because it's wrapped with another instruction. But we don't care because our machines run instructions at speeds where an additional instruction or 30000 won't cause *too* much delay. Personally, I think we need to get back to the basics, but with Visual Studio, .NET, C#, etc, we've headed pretty far down the line of not caring about how tight the code is. Hell, the colleges don't even teach an assembly language anymore as a required course. I couldn't even get my university to offer an assembly course as a Special Topics course.

Cue the old timers and stories of trays of unnumbered punch cards falling to the floor.

Well, not punch cards, but on my bookshelf sits a FORTRAN textbook, as well as a C++ text.

Ha! I was taught FORTRAN last year in my classes at Iowa State! We didnt really have a book though, some notes from the teacher was about it.

wbarnhill said:
...Cue the old timers and stories of trays of unnumbered punch cards falling to the floor.

..at your command...

...that's why you draw a big, fat diagonal line on the edge of the card deck. Quick, dirty but effective and beats numbering in workload.

tonycondon said:
Ha! I was taught FORTRAN last year in my classes at Iowa State! We didnt really have a book though, some notes from the teacher was about it.

Wow! You just flipped my calendar back 12 years, good old Marston Hall. Engineering 160 or was it 170? CompSci 227, 228?

Second semester of my Freshman year. Marston for Eng160, to Gilman for Chemistry, to Carver for Calculus, eat while walking to the 4th floor of the library for a cat nap, then on to Lagomarcino for Comp Sci 227.

All to become a chicken farmer. :dunno:

James Dean

SCCutler said:
..at your command...

...that's why you draw a big, fat diagonal line on the edge of the card deck. Quick, dirty but effective and beats numbering in workload.

I just heard so many stories from professors who made me glad the worst I have to worry about is whether or not I made a backup. No getting halfway through the program and realizing a 1 was supposed to be a 0 and having to redo the punch card (at the least) or redoing the whole set (at the worst)... Ah, technology :D

Yea James, Aero E 160 and 161. Also wrote a nice FORTRAN program in my Astrodynamics course to find a trajectory to the moon, constrained by a couple of orbital elements. Repetitive loops do wonders to get lots of significant digits!

William, my favorites are the student running across campus with a handful of cards to turn in his final project. Slips/falls, cards fly everywhere, project ruined.

SCCutler said:
..at your command...

Been there, done that. Still couldn't put the deck back together in the right order. Not enough precision in the line to get them exact.

Back