Wolf

n2863w

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wolf
This is my first post and have a question regarding 430W GPS approaches and missed approaches. At the missed approach point the SUSP will illuminate and the book call for the OBS button must be pushed again to fly to the missed approach point for holding. I believe last airplane I flew that had GNS 1000 the SUSP button only had to be pushed once. I'm confused. Also when the missed approach call for a hold at a VORTAC, may the hold be made using just GPS information? Reference KRID ILS approach to runway 24.

Many thanks.

Wolf,

Normally the OBS only has to be pressed once to activate the missed approach navigation guidance, but there is a rare exception. The exception has to do if there is a CA leg (Course from fix to altitude legs) as the first leg of the missed approach procedure. An example would be that the missed approach required you follow a course until reaching an altitude and then proceed on a new course. In this case, the first press will give you guidance on the initial course and the GPS will go back to SUSP. When you arrive at the altitude following the initial course, you press OBS a second time to resume the rest of the procedure.

In most cases, I would not at all be in a hurry to press OBS. Certainly never press it before you see SUSP annunciated. I recommend to wait until SUSP is displayed, you have started my initial climb, and have started the first turn if it is called for, and only then press OBS to get the missed approach guidance.

. Also when the missed approach call for a hold at a VORTAC, may the hold be made using just GPS information? Reference KRID ILS approach to runway 24.

Many thanks.
John gave a solid answer to the bigger question. For this one, it's simple: yes.

You can go into greater detail by reading the AIM and some of the other FAA material. and deal with issues of database currency, but the basic rule is pretty simple:

An IFR-certified GPS box can substitute for other navaids except for the purpose of lateral guidance on the final approach course.

Back