Wolf Creek Dam and Lake Cumberland

finsjb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
finsjb
For those of you in the middle Tennessee and south central Kentucky area, you know what is going on with Wolf Creek Dam. For those of you who don't, the dam has started leaking and has everyone worried for miles and miles about it breaking. I just got back from a flight over the dam and lake and would recommend if you live pretty close to check it out. The water level has been lowered to the point where some of the slips at the marinas are close to being on the mud. We did see one place where some of the smaller slips were on the mud. It's still a pretty flight over the lake, but one still has to wonder............what if.

You can say that again. At first alot of people didn't think that much about it. Now it's really raising some eyebrows. I think they realize now that it is possible that a major FLOOD could be happening. The water has been dropped close to 40 ft. It's still something to see and think about.

Is this a TVA managed dam? If so, the Corps of Engineers folks have had their hands full the past 8-9 months. I think it was last summer that someone got a barge wedged in the Wilson Dam Lock on the TN River in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. They had to dry the lock out and it still took them nearly a month to get the huge door fixed and in place. yuck!

Back