Woes of us with special diets

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
I’m a low carb guy. That poses occasional problems. I swear to god this is what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

“I’d like a double cheeseburger. Would it be possible for you to wrap that in lettuce?”
“So you want no bun, right?”
“Correct.”
“Would you like fries with that?”
“Actually I’d like to get a salad if I could. Blue cheese would be great. And hold the croutons.”
“No problem. Would you like bread with that salad?”
“Um, no, that’s okay.”
“How about crackers?”
“Really, I think we’re good.”

“Hmm, what sides come with that grilled salmon?”
“Mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes.”
“So, do you think I could substitute the mashed potatoes with more mixed vegetables?”
“Sure, we can give you all mashed potatoes.”
“No, no, I don’t want any mashed potatoes, I just want all vegetables.”
“Who does that?”
“Nevermind, forget the substitution. Just give me a salad on the side.”
“What kind of dressing?”
“Italian I guess. Also, do you put croutons on the salad?”
“Yes.”
“Can you hold the croutons?”
“You want the croutons on the side?”
“No, no, I just don’t want any croutons, that’s all.”

“I’d like to get that Denver omelet. Can I get like some sliced tomatoes or something like that instead of hash browns?”
“We don’t have tomatoes available until lunch time.”
“What about other vegetables?”
“We don’t have any vegetables available until lunch time.”
“So what do you put in the omelets that contain onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes?”
“Onions, bell peppers and tomatoes.”
“So you do have vegetables available at breakfast time.”
“Sir, those are for the omelets.”
“Well, okay, can you have the cook pretend he’s making another omelet and just put those tomatoes on the plate?”
“I suppose, but I’d have to charge you for another omelet.”
“Nevermind.”

“Hola senor. Como esta ustedes?”
“Muy bueno, gracias... …would like a carnitas burrito special. Can you make that with a corn tortilla?”
“Yes.”
“And can I just get some shredded lettuce instead of rice and beans?”
“Yes. Would you like some fries with that?”
“No, thank you.”
“How about some bread?”
“No, thank you.”
“Then what do you want for your starch?”
“No starch, please.”
“But, everyone needs starch.”
“There is some in the corn tortilla.”
“Sigh… ….. caramba. Cinco dolares por favor.”

“The only thing we have here that is low carb is salad. All the rest is pretty much pasta and bread.”
“Okay, just give me a salad. And can I get like chicken or something on it?”
“Sure, we can add chicken.”
“Great.”
“Would you like a side of spaghetti with that?”

“Daddy, why is that man eating his double quarter pounder with a knife and fork?”
“It’s because he’s too uppity to eat the bun. Obviously he’s never had to live the life of a starving child in Ethiopia. Now finish up your shake and Oreo cookie. We need to pick up a couple gallons of ice cream and some of those diet pills for mommy.”

What a self-described "low carb" guy is doing going out to eat fast food in the first place is beyond me.

Personally, I think the bun is way way way healthier than the burger. But whatever.

Now finish up your shake and Oreo cookie. We need to pick up a couple gallons of ice cream and some of those diet pills for mommy.”
That, sir, is a priceless snapshot of America. :) And to what Steingar said -- when you've selected a diet that is far outside the norm for most people, you have to expect that most people won't get it. You're going to have a lot of work to do, and fast food places are where you're going to do the most work -- they're used to selling A, B and C and you're asking for Z.

AFM, don't worry you're not the only one. Gluten free primal eater here. I usually just cook for myself.

BTW Outback is more or less paleo/primal friendly. Never had an issue getting salads instead of other sides. Although they do seem a bit confused. I once got a plate of steak....and three plates of salads. I guess they didn't realize they could done with just two plates.

What a self-described "low carb" guy is doing going out to eat fast food in the first place is beyond me.

Personally, I think the bun is way way way healthier than the burger. But whatever.

One could make that argument. But the bun DOES absorb a lot of the grease and fat from the burger patties plus holds some of the mayo. So I would argue there is a net reduction in fat by chucking the buns vs. eating the whole thing. BTW only the last example was a fast food restaurant. At least a chain one anyway.

That, sir, is a priceless snapshot of America. :) And to what Steingar said -- when you've selected a diet that is far outside the norm for most people, you have to expect that most people won't get it. You're going to have a lot of work to do, and fast food places are where you're going to do the most work -- they're used to selling A, B and C and you're asking for Z.

Ironically, most fast food places are easy for me to work with because they are a known commodity and most have salad options. Carl's Jr. (Hardees to you people in the Midwest and East) has lettuce wrapped "low carb" burgers. I hella eat Carl's stuff. Mexican tends to be the most difficult for me although we have a couple local mini-chains that have great low carb salads.

AFM, don't worry you're not the only one. Gluten free primal eater here. I usually just cook for myself.

BTW Outback is more or less paleo/primal friendly. Never had an issue getting salads instead of other sides. Although they do seem a bit confused. I once got a plate of steak....and three plates of salads. I guess they didn't realize they could done with just two plates.

I hella like Outback. Ribs and salad! How funny that an American founded Australian motif restaurant is becoming popular in Australia. They even fly in the beef.

I hella like Outback. Ribs and salad! How funny that an American founded Australian motif restaurant is becoming popular in Australia. They even fly in the beef.

I've had dinner at an Outback in Taipei more than once, too. They're all over the place. :D

Now, the beer they push at Outback. Fosters. I haven't seen that in Australia. :D :D

I've had dinner at an Outback in Taipei more than once, too. They're all over the place. :D

Now, the beer they push at Outback. Fosters. I haven't seen that in Australia. :D :D

Australians don't drink Fosters. They do, however, have Pure Blonde and Hahn Super Dry. I prefer the Hahn myself. Calorie and carb count similar to Michelob Ultra but it doesn't actually taste like used brake fluid.

Remember that potatoes are cheaper than veggies. The restaurant will try and push potatoes. The fat on french fries will make you want more. The salt will make you want to drink more (drinks are VERY high margin). Bread is cheap.

Just go to a place that tends to serve healthier food to start with.

Australians don't drink Fosters. They do, however, have Pure Blonde and Hahn Super Dry. I prefer the Hahn myself. Calorie and carb count similar to Michelob Ultra but it doesn't actually taste like used brake fluid.
The "Fosters" sold here is brewed in Canada, says so in fine print right on the can. Blecch...
It does say "Imported" on the can, and that's no lie. It's just not imported from Australia.

Outback for a low carb diet? You have ANY idea how much sugar is in that bbq sauce?

When I did low carb to lose weight or run down my A1c you just eat what they have - and make it as simple as possible. NEVER bother asking for a lettuce wrapped burger unless its on the menu - thats when you get the look.

Bill hits the nail on the head - go to someplace that serves better food to begin with! That said - order a Cobb Salad with dressing and you might as well order a steak and potato. OR pasta.

Low carb means understanding where they hide the carbs [usually in the form of hidden sugar] as well. I went to a McDonalds in a Walmart to buy a salad until I looked the dressings - which had more sugar and carbs than a big mac. So I bought the salad and salad dressing in the Walmart where I got a balsamic vinaigrette that had I think 1 carb per serving so you could load up the salad with some tasty dressing instead of a sugar bomb. Carbs a are cheaper than protein and even fat and certainly fruit and veges or even dairy, as in cottage cheese.

For those of you in New England I found that 99 Restaurant is VERY low carb friendly and they offer you 2 sides - you pick 'em. Want double veges - its not problem. I'll choose beans - pinto, etc - high in fiber helps slow the absroption of whatever simple sugars you do ingest.

Most restaurants in Calif and OR/WA now offer brown rice as a option - take it. Its sometimes better than the double order of veges which are cooked sometimes in molasses and water to make them taste better -

Last edited:
Outback for a low carb diet? You have ANY idea how much sugar is in that bbq sauce?

When I did low carb to lose weight or run down my A1c you just eat what they have - and make it as simple as possible. NEVER bother asking for a lettuce wrapped burger unless its on the menu - thats when you get the look.

Bill hits the nail on the head - go to someplace that serves better food to begin with! That said - order a Cobb Salad with dressing and you might as well order a steak and potato. OR pasta.

Low carb means understanding where they hide the carbs [usually in the form of hidden sugar] as well. I went to a McDonalds in a Walmart to buy a salad until I looked the dressings - which had more sugar and carbs than a big mac. So I bought the salad and salad dressing in the Walmart where I got a balsamic vinaigrette that had I think 1 carb per serving so you could load up the salad with some tasty dressing instead of a sugar bomb. Carbs a are cheaper than protein and even fat and certainly fruit and veges or even dairy, as in cottage cheese.

For those of you in New England I found that 99 Restaurant is VERY low carb friendly and they offer you 2 sides - you pick 'em. Want double veges - its not problem. I'll choose beans - pinto, etc - high in fiber helps slow the absroption of whatever simple sugars you do ingest.

Most restaurants in Calif and OR/WA now offer brown rice as a option - take it. Its sometimes better than the double order of veges which are cooked sometimes in molasses and water to make them taste better -

You bring up a lot of good points. I fail on finding the hidden carbs in dressings and sauces as well. I realize you can't completely eliminate them and you probably don't want to anyway. I just try to minimize but dammit sometimes you just have to eat the burger in the bun.

I don't know what is so hard about this.

If it tastes like nothing, it's good for you.

Hahaha.

I don't know what is so hard about this.

If it tastes like nothing, it's good for you.

Hahaha.

Jack Lalaine used to say, "If it tastes good, spit it out!"

I'm on a near-vegan diet to lower BP, and it is hard. I've been a vegetarian for 22 years, but this is much harder.

I just make the simple order and then segregate out what I don't want. Saves trouble.

Most places, including McDonalds, provide dressings on the side -- especially for Cobb's. Just don't apply them. Salads are better naked anyway. (And for McDonalds, order Grilled, not Crispy)

If you NEED bread, ask for a tortilla vs a bun (tastes better and lower carbs)
Ask for Sweet Potato in lieu of Idaho Russets

When in places like Outback, order withOUT the sauce -- or stay away from BBQ. Stick with slabs of tender red (or pink or golden brown) without trimmings

Don't pay attention to the hecklers --- they're jealous

Interesting. I was in Mexico a number of years ago. I was in a little bar off the main strip and I ordered a Corona. The bartender told me that if I wanted Corona I needed to go down to the "tourist" area of town.

My wife gets something at Jimmy Johns that is a deli sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. Might try Jimmy Johns if you are looking for something fast.

That's about the most comprehensive and accurate answer you're going to get on this question. I have Type 2 diabetes, and I'm well acquainted with the challenges of avoiding carbs; and the real challenge is avoiding the carbs that are hidden where most people don't think to look.

For example, if you must eat at McDonald's, Burger King, etc., the buns and fries aren't the only problems. The sauces and relishes used in some of the sandwiches can be even worse.

As long as it's not their busy time of the day, McD's, BK, and Wendy's, at least (and probably others) will accommodate special requests such as "burger, lettuce, and tomato only please -- no bun, sauce, or anything else, thank you." They'll also accommodate special requests when they are busy; there's just a higher chance that they'll get them wrong.

Chinese restaurants are a challenge not so much because of the rice (which is at least a known quantity) as because of all the sugar that goes into most of what's on the menu. Practically all of the recipes are extremely high in sugar.

On the other hand, despite the old "one from column A and one from column B" stereotypes, I've found that most Mom and Pop Chinese restaurants will cook pretty much anything you ask for, any way you like. So if you want spare ribs cooked without the barbecue sauce, that's fine. There may be a language barrier sometimes, however.

Steak houses and seafood restaurants tend not to be challenges at all, in my experience. They'll gladly omit the potato or whatever sauces they usually use. But if I ask them to hold the spuds, I don't expect them to provide a more expensive substitute for free. That's not fair or realistic. So if I want a salad instead of a potato, I expect to pay for the salad. If I get it for free, then it's a nice surprise.

Italian restaurants are pretty much off-limits to low-carb dieters, in my experience. The meals are just so carb-intensive that unless all you want is a salad with oil and vinegar on the side, it's just not worth the bother.

Roadside diners tend to be pretty accommodating, in my experience. Short-order cooks tend to be pretty existential about their jobs and usually will whip up anything they're asked to. That also holds true for most truck stops I've visited. Obesity is a big problem for truckers, and I've found truck stops in general to be very low-carb friendly.

On the lighter side, avoiding carbs can have its amusing side.

Once in a great while, a server will ask why I don't want a bun, potato, etc. Depending on my mood, I may tell them the truth (that I limit my carb intake because I have diabetes), or I may tell them something outlandish.

When I was in Southern California, I got a kick out of telling servers and clerks -- with the feigned zeal of an evangelist -- that my religion forbade me from eating helpless plants. "At least animals have legs and can run away," I would fervently proclaim, "Plants can't!" Some of the looks I got were priceless. I never came across anyone who wanted to convert, though.

-Rich

Last edited:
VB and Toohey's work for me whe I'm there.

VB is great, I just have to sick with the low carb beers if I drink beer. My very favorite beer though is Tiger, which is found throughout Southeast Asia. There wine and hard alcohol is $$$$$ (or VND VND VND or whatever) but beer is cheap. I don't know the calorie or carb content but it must be fairly low. I can drink large quantities of it and lose weight.

The "Fosters" sold here is brewed in Canada, says so in fine print right on the can. Blecch...
It does say "Imported" on the can, and that's no lie. It's just not imported from Australia.

I've only seen Fosters sold in the touristy of tourist bars over there. I'm not even sure why they bother to sell it. Only the touristy of tourists drink it.

I just make the simple order and then segregate out what I don't want. Saves trouble.

Most places, including McDonalds, provide dressings on the side -- especially for Cobb's. Just don't apply them. Salads are better naked anyway. (And for McDonalds, order Grilled, not Crispy)

If you NEED bread, ask for a tortilla vs a bun (tastes better and lower carbs)
Ask for Sweet Potato in lieu of Idaho Russets

When in places like Outback, order withOUT the sauce -- or stay away from BBQ. Stick with slabs of tender red (or pink or golden brown) without trimmings

Don't pay attention to the hecklers --- they're jealous

Along those lines, if a corn tortilla is an option, that's much better than a flour tortilla. That's why I tend to go with tacos vs. burritos even though the burrito more appeals to my animalistic sense.

My wife gets something at Jimmy Johns that is a deli sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. Might try Jimmy Johns if you are looking for something fast.

Not familiar with Jimmy Johns but I generally find delis to be accommodating for those.

On the lighter side, avoiding carbs can have its amusing side.

Once in a great while, a server will ask why I don't want a bun, potato, etc. Depending on my mood, I may tell them the truth (that I limit my carb input because I have diabetes), or I may tell them something outlandish.

When I was in Southern California, I got a kick out of telling servers and clerks -- with the feigned zeal of an evangelist -- that my religion forbade me from eating helpless plants. "At least animals have legs and can run away," I would fervently proclaim, "Plant's can't!" Some of the looks I got were priceless. I never came across anyone who wanted to convert, though.

-Rich

No THAT is hilarious. I may well use that justification myself.

Interesting. I was in Mexico a number of years ago. I was in a little bar off the main strip and I ordered a Corona. The bartender told me that if I wanted Corona I needed to go down to the "tourist" area of town.

You don't get a Tsing Tao in China, either, except at a tourist spot.

Yeah...well you don't get barbecue sauce then. I get a steak and broccoli, salad with oil and vinegar. Nothing is loaded down with extra sauces that I can see, so it's probably pretty good for low carb. Outback is a good place for this, much better than say Logan's...because who can avoid the peanuts?

My new favorite has been a cheeseburger with no bun and I ask for extra lettuce. Shred the lettuce or cut it up, put the burger on top with a little mustard and it's like a salad with hamburger on top. Fantastic...

That's about the most comprehensive and accurate answer you're going to get on this question. I have Type 2 diabetes, and I'm well acquainted with the challenges of avoiding carbs; and the real challenge is avoiding the carbs that are hidden where most people don't think to look.

Rich, I took out the rest of your answer for brevity, but your experience in dining out is almost exactly what I've seen too. I'll add a couple of items.

Panda Express can be pretty good as long as you're careful with what you pick..and it's fresh. Ask them to make something fresh, especially since the mixed vegatables don't tend to hold very well and aren't popular.

Having just finished up a project in Dallas, I really appreciate good barbecue restaurants down there. It's really easy to eat right there, the challenge becomes not eating too much :)

Also a local Dallas chain was Babe's Chicken Dinner House...mmmmmm....

The same thing happened to me, we were at Carlos and Charlies, certainly tourist friendly. :rolleyes: I ordered a Corona Light and the guy told be they only sell Mexican beers!:dunno: Then they took a big rubber stamp with all the beers they sell and stamped the table, in case I was too dumb to remember what kind they sold. :mad2: I think it's more of a Coke and Pepsi thing with bars in Mexico, some sell one and some sell the other.:mad2: They all sell overpriced watered down margaritas. :yikes:

We recently received a list of 30+ foods that our 10-month old son shouldn't eat due to his 'high intolerance' of the items. Not necessarily 'allergies', just intolerant of the foods. Among the massive list are: apples, grapes, carrots, potatoes (sweet and white), strawberries, blueberries, wheat, oats,.... and the list goes on. Do you have any idea how much apple and grape juice are used as 'fillers' in other foods!? Do you have any idea how much wheat and oats are used as 'fillers' in other foods!? Since having to read labels so closely for him, I am afraid to read the labels on the foods that WE eat.

Luckily, my wife is very creative and has been experimenting with homemade concoctions of peach + mango + cucumber puree, corn + soy yogurt + turnips, etc. etc. Thank goodness he doesn't know what our tastebuds consider 'good' tastes yet. I just hope he grows out of most of these things before he gets old enough to realize that he's not able to eat the stuff that all the other kids are eating.

Remember that potatoes are cheaper than veggies. The restaurant will try and push potatoes. The fat on french fries will make you want more. The salt will make you want to drink more (drinks are VERY high margin). Bread is cheap.

Just go to a place that tends to serve healthier food to start with.

Such as?

Just about every fast food restaurant has healthy options available, but they also have unhealthy options. It's your responsibility to choose as you see fit, and it's the restaurant's responsibility to get your order right (I always check). Most have whole wheat options for breads, and no one says that you have to load up your grilled chicken sandwich with mayo or other condiments which do nothing but add extra oil and fat.

Sit down restaurants, even high-end ones, are really no better, and often much worse. If you dine at a fast food joint, you kind of know what's healthy (grilled) and what's not (fried). Sit down restaurants typically have more complex menus with more ingredients which often are "prepared" and simply reheated, absolutely LOADED with preservatives and tons and tons of calories and fat... and I mean tons.

Drinks are ridiculously high margin items (except for table water, which is typically free), but refills are usually free (even at fast food joints), so I don't really see any conspiracy to make you drink more.

Freedom to choose and be responsible for your own choices of food and lifestyle is a wonderful thing that none of us should be quick to bemoan or forfeit. However, many of the folks working in the service industry don't give a hoot about customer service and aren't interesting in thinking about anything, such as why a low-carb dieter may not want... extra carbs. I think that the solution is to find a business that cares, and patronize them over the competition.

JKG

If you dine at a fast food joint, you kind of know what's healthy (grilled) and what's not (fried).

I've seen some "grilled" entrée items that have significant sugar and other nasty things added. Best method is getting the nutrition data off of the company website or having an App that tracks it.

(Tap and Track on iOS is good, updated often, etc.)

Such as?

Just about every fast food restaurant has healthy options available, but they also have unhealthy options. It's your responsibility to choose as you see fit, and it's the restaurant's responsibility to get your order right (I always check). Most have whole wheat options for breads, and no one says that you have to load up your grilled chicken sandwich with mayo or other condiments which do nothing but add extra oil and fat.

Sit down restaurants, even high-end ones, are really no better, and often much worse. If you dine at a fast food joint, you kind of know what's healthy (grilled) and what's not (fried). Sit down restaurants typically have more complex menus with more ingredients which often are "prepared" and simply reheated, absolutely LOADED with preservatives and tons and tons of calories and fat... and I mean tons.

Drinks are ridiculously high margin items (except for table water, which is typically free), but refills are usually free (even at fast food joints), so I don't really see any conspiracy to make you drink more.

Freedom to choose and be responsible for your own choices of food and lifestyle is a wonderful thing that none of us should be quick to bemoan or forfeit. However, many of the folks working in the service industry don't give a hoot about customer service and aren't interesting in thinking about anything, such as why a low-carb dieter may not want... extra carbs. I think that the solution is to find a business that cares, and patronize them over the competition.

JKG

I have to agree with you. I really have no problem with most fast food joints. Most have salad options with chicken on them and some sort of low calorie vinagrette or Italian dressing if you want. Certainly less caloric and carbonic than the restaurant chef salad drowned in blue cheese dressing.

(Hey, carbonic! Is that a word? It is now! I just invented a new word! Yay!)

Such as?

JKG

Nowhere did I suggest that we need further regulation of what we can choose to eat or that we should give up the freedom to choose. To the contrary, I suggested that one could choose to go somewhere that serves healthier food.

In my travels, I can usually find places that offer healthier choices than others, and I tend to choose them. There are several places near where I live that have healthier menus & local sourcing. Asian & Mediterranean places CAN be better but nothing is assured. All that said, sometimes nothing will do but Five Guys....:)

I think NYC is way out of bounds on the soda regs, and I think that those who justify it by saying "families need the government to tell them what to eat" are similarly nannies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nowhere did I suggest that we need further regulation of what we can choose to eat or that we should give up the freedom to choose. To the contrary, I suggested that one could choose to go somewhere that serves healthier food.

Nowhere did I accuse you of doing so.

However, many folks seem to carry the fact that some food isn't "good for you" as justification for their attempt to tell you exactly what you SHOULD be eating. I've heard some otherwise reasonable, politically conservative, anti-government folks fall for it because, after all, what's wrong with eating healthy in a society where obesity is such a large (no pun intended) problem? It's all for your own good.

And, by the way, I've never been quite brave enough to try Five Guys. :)

JKG

I've seen some "grilled" entrée items that have significant sugar and other nasty things added. Best method is getting the nutrition data off of the company website or having an App that tracks it.

(Tap and Track on iOS is good, updated often, etc.)

Let's be honest, just about everything contains something that is supposedly not good for you; if it doesn't, it's probably not something that you want to eat. I think that the key really is consumption in moderation.

Grilled chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun is about as good as you're going to get, assuming that you don't order it with mayo or something else that wrecks it. I can get that at just about any fast food joint these days (sometimes with low-fat, low-sodium soup instead of fries), but usually CANNOT get it at a sit-down restaurant (the whole wheat bun is not available at many of them.)

I've also done the grilled chicken or turkey sandwich that's come out on grilled bread that looks like it was SOAKED in butter. Might as well have ordered the hamburger (though that usually comes on the same butter-soaked bread). Receiving plain, unadulterated bread at these places is sometimes a challenge.

I agree that the only way to know for sure is by researching the nutritional information.

JKG

Last edited:
I figure if I'm going to be bad, I might as well be very bad. If I eat the bread, it might as well be toasted in garlic butter.

Kind of like, if you're going to bother to sneak in a kiss....

RE: Five Guys. I agree with Bill on how good it is. And they are a little too generous on the fries. A large will feed a baseball team. For a week.

Mmm, Five Guys with the four potatoes used for a regular size fry order.

I just found a new diet. Lost 5 pounds in 7 days. It is called the Reno Air Races. Way too much going on to find time to eat. When you do eat, avoid those vendors and fried food (I brought carrots and broccoli slaw), walk everywhere (huge runway). By the time I got home I was shocked at the weight loss (and suntan). I had been going to the gym before that (treadmill) 1 hour each day, 7 days a week, and this was way better. Just reminded me how hard us "desk job" people have to work to stay active.

Walking through miles of airplane displays is my new diet. I can't imagine how great OSH will be.

It was hard to only have 1 beer or so with all the parties, but being the DD helped.

Reducing calorie intake is far more effective than exercise, but both are helpfull.

Exercise will, however, raise your basal metabolic rate, increasing the calorie burn rate during rest periods. Particularly heavy anerobic cardio training.

Back