Witnessed the aftermath of a crash at OSH

MSPAviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MSPAviator
I was bicycling from the North 40 where I was camped all the way to the Scholler entrance closest to Vintage. I do this because it is a lot faster and less physical exertion to get to Airshow Center than by walking in the N. 40 entrance.

While biking along outside the fence from Homebuilt Camping, I see this GMC Denali which has just hit some Lincoln. A flatbed truck had already arrived at the scene along with the police and the ruined carcass was soon to be towed away.

I was reminded that even at Airventure, when you drive, you are constantly sharing the road with people who are barely trained, driving gigantic, poor-handling, neglectfully maintained vehicles equipped with the cheapest/crappiest low-grip tires possible. These drivers are often more preoccupied with texting, drinking, smoking, or yelling at their kids in the back than paying attention to the road or even navigating.

Drivers beware.

10576900_902694779744487_4156145034131537193_n.jpg

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of folks attend Oshkosh. There will be crashes.

So what do you have against people driving the vehicle they desire to drive?

That Denali does not look like it has been neglected. Need a close up of the tires to tell wear patterns.

A 64 Mustang was poor handling. A newer suburban will out corner a 64 Mustang.

From the angle of the picture it looks as if that vehicle could have been driven away after the accident.

The big problem is drivers who don't drive all winter then drive to Oshkosh. They are not able to handle the volume of traffic, maintain spacing and stay on speed. Many drivers don't read the NOTAM and can't park on the dot.

True pilots,can't stop watching the airplanes while driving,surprised there are not more accidents on that road.

Um…. I have that exact vehicle and I think it's a pretty amazing machine. 405HP, AWD, seats 6 real people, gets 20 highway on 87 pump gas, handles well, great brakes, etc. Ever driven one?

Watching the 30 hour a year pancake breakfast guys on their single big cross country trip coming into Osh with CB's all around seemed a lot more dangerous to me.

I guess we all have our thresholds for danger.

The big problem is drivers who don't drive all winter then drive to Oshkosh. They are not able to handle the volume of traffic, maintain spacing and stay on speed. Many drivers don't read the NOTAM and can't park on the dot.

snorffle

Back