Without Explicitly stating that apple sucks

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I have some screen recordings in my iPad.
The first one showed up in the DCIM folder (subfolder today's date) when connected to my PC
I grabbed 2 more screen captures on the iPad. I connect to my computer and go to DCIM (the only folder I seem to be able to access with my computer) and the subsequent screen captures are not there.

I go back to the iPad and I can see the screen recordings, and play them back but they are in some mystery ipad ether location along with photos and videos (That I cannot seem to find when connected to the PC)

I want to move the screen recordings to the DCIM folder so I can copy them locally to my PC.

Ya know when I connect my android to my PC, I can see every folder on the phone.

Is there a way to access the folder structure with my PC like EVERY SINGLE OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICE THAT EXISTS so I can find the recordings and copy them to the PC?

Also why 2 different behaviors for the same action. 3 screen recordings back to back to back and one saved to DCIM\202312_\ and the other 2 do not?

.. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / ..- -. -.. . .-. ... - .- -. -.. / .... --- .-- / - .... . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .... . ... . / -.. . ...- .. -.-. . ... / --. .- .. -. . -.. / - .... . / .--. --- .--. ..- .-.. .- .-. .. - -.-- / - .... . -.-- / -.. .. -.. / --. .. ...- . -. / - .... . .. .-. / .-.. .- -.-. -.- / --- ..-. / . ..-. ..-. .. -.-. .. . -. -.-. -.-- --..-- / .- -. -.. / ..- ... . .-. / -.-. --- -. - .-. --- .-.. .-.-.- / ... -.-. .-. . .-- / .- .--. .--. .-.. . / .- -. -.. / ... -.-. .-. . .-- / - .... . .. .-. / ... - ..- .--. .. -.. / .- ... ... / .--. .-. --- -.. ..- -.-. - ...

.. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / ..- -. -.. . .-. ... - .- -. -.. / .... --- .-- / - .... . / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .... . ... . / -.. . ...- .. -.-. . ... / --. .- .. -. . -.. / - .... . / .--. --- .--. ..- .-.. .- .-. .. - -.-- / - .... . -.-- / -.. .. -.. / --. .. ...- . -. / - .... . .. .-. / .-.. .- -.-. -.- / --- ..-. / . ..-. ..-. .. -.-. .. . -. -.-. -.-- --..-- / .- -. -.. / ..- ... . .-. / -.-. --- -. - .-. --- .-.. .-.-.- / ... -.-. .-. . .-- / .- .--. .--. .-.. . / .- -. -.. / ... -.-. .-. . .-- / - .... . .. .-. / ... - ..- .--. .. -.. / .- ... ... / .--. .-. --- -.. ..- -.-. - ...
Agreed.

No help on your question though. I think you have to download a 3rd party app to see the actual file structure.

43 minutes later, it showed up in the DCIM folder.

When transferring Apple to PC I always use Dropbox as an intermediary. I always found direct connection between Apple and non-Apple a bit… fuzzy.

Also sometimes on the PC side, I find having to force the file browser to refresh via F5 key.

Pasting this into bing chatgpt bot breaks it...

1703620633431.png

Just keeps repeating it

See what happens when people believe ChatGPT? It’s a stupid parrot. Not even a good parrot. My 1st semester CS students can make it screw up.

What can one say, some people like fruit and lifeless or mechanical.

Airdrop seems to work ok for this type of thing for me. I haven’t plugged my phone into my computer for years.

I’m about as Appley as it gets and agree the filesystem handling is BS. I’m sure they wave their hands and say “security.” That said, yep, Airdrop was the way I most recently solved it, from iPhone to Mac which doesn’t help you in the slightest. You should be able to Share the recording to the Files app and save it in a designated folder, then plug in and access via your file manager.

I’m about as Appley as it gets and agree the filesystem handling is BS. I’m sure they wave their hands and say “security.” That said, yep, Airdrop was the way I most recently solved it, from iPhone to Mac which doesn’t help you in the slightest. You should be able to Share the recording to the Files app and save it in a designated folder, then plug in and access via your file manager.
I'm fine admitting its a user issue (Its not though :) )
Any time I have to add another layer to a task I get impatient. Downloading itunes or using a cloud, etc when it isn't required for most other things frustrates me.
Its not just an Apple thing. I despise that I have this one drive on my PC that puts copies of my documents in the cloud by default.

My foreflight renews in Feb. I am going to look into swapping out the ipad for Samsung and then see if I can learn iFlyGPS or Garmin Pilot. I have been using foreflight for 10 years so that will be tough to break away from but tha added benefit of being able to have a backup in the form of my phone will be a bonus.

I'm fine admitting its a user issue (Its not though :) )
Any time I have to add another layer to a task I get impatient. Downloading itunes or using a cloud, etc when it isn't required for most other things frustrates me.
Its not just an Apple thing. I despise that I have this one drive on my PC that puts copies of my documents in the cloud by default.

My foreflight renews in Feb. I am going to look into swapping out the ipad for Samsung and then see if I can learn iFlyGPS or Garmin Pilot. I have been using foreflight for 10 years so that will be tough to break away from but tha added benefit of being able to have a backup in the form of my phone will be a bonus.
I’ve got a Samsung tab sitting in my flight bag if you want to try it for a few weeks. It has some dog pile free EFB apps on it which pale in comparison to the constant refinement ForeFlight has gone through (and FF needs some cleanup at this point). Hopefully Garmin Pilot isn’t as complicated to use or ugly as the freebies. I was hoping the Samsung would retire my ancient iPad that is on the pax side but that is looking doubtful.

FWIW....
I'm an android guy, and use Garmin pilot. On an ipad mini. Only Apple product I own. GP on Android sucks. And crashes. And takes forever to start. And the auto-downloads don't. Did I mention the crashes?

That said, IFly is really good, even on the cheapest android tablet. Works on your PC too. Downloads used to be a bit wonky, but I think that might've been my slow internet at the time. GP integrates way too well with my GTN, though. They got me.

Ifly doesn't speak Garmin at all. Ifly is also missing W&B, which I find extremely handy on GP. Ifly has been saying they were going to at least get ADSB data from Garmin for 3 years; as far as I know they still don't.

FWIW....
I'm an android guy, and use Garmin pilot. On an ipad mini. Only Apple product I own. GP on Android sucks. And crashes. And takes forever to start. And the auto-downloads don't. Did I mention the crashes?

That said, IFly is really good, even on the cheapest android tablet. Works on your PC too. Downloads used to be a bit wonky, but I think that might've been my slow internet at the time. GP integrates way too well with my GTN, though. They got me.

Ifly doesn't speak Garmin at all. Ifly is also missing W&B, which I find extremely handy on GP. Ifly has been saying they were going to at least get ADSB data from Garmin for 3 years; as far as I know they still don't.

When you say iFly doesn't speak garmin, does that mean I lose use of flight stream that sends my rout to and from my G-175?

When you say iFly doesn't speak garmin, does that mean I lose use of flight stream that sends my rout to and from my G-175?
yes

ETA:
I should say I'm not an expert on their product and havent been a suscriber for a couple years, although I still try to keep an eye on what they're doing because if they ever get TIS-B and position info out of the Garmin data stream, I'd be very tempted to go back so I can start using $100 Lenovos again instead of $500 Minis.

No, iFly & Garmin are not friends. But my version of iFly (12.2.34) does have a weight & balance option under the Tools tab ...

So why does android have the crown?

Next you're going to tell us Mooney is better than Piper. What does AI say about that?
maaan, you don't need ARTIFICIAL intelligence to know that's a fact. but, lemme find out what AI's got to offer........

I have some screen recordings in my iPad.
The first one showed up in the DCIM folder (subfolder today's date) when connected to my PC
I grabbed 2 more screen captures on the iPad. I connect to my computer and go to DCIM (the only folder I seem to be able to access with my computer) and the subsequent screen captures are not there.

I go back to the iPad and I can see the screen recordings, and play them back but they are in some mystery ipad ether location along with photos and videos (That I cannot seem to find when connected to the PC)

I want to move the screen recordings to the DCIM folder so I can copy them locally to my PC.

Ya know when I connect my android to my PC, I can see every folder on the phone.

Is there a way to access the folder structure with my PC like EVERY SINGLE OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICE THAT EXISTS so I can find the recordings and copy them to the PC?

Also why 2 different behaviors for the same action. 3 screen recordings back to back to back and one saved to DCIM\202312_\ and the other 2 do not?

Have you tried just going out to icloud.com on the pc and logging in? You'll find most of your stuff and can download directly.

Jim

Pasting this into bing chatgpt bot breaks it...

View attachment 123647

Just keeps repeating it
I processed it on ChatGPT and got a clear concise and accurate statement. Along with a reasonably well-worded warning for the sensitive in this group, and its quasi-fastidious overlords.

FWIW... Works on your PC too.…
If you’re an AOPA member their white-labelled version of iflightplanner is a much better UI for web-baed planning than iFly’s download in my opinion.

You can also sync the two so that whatever you planned on the AOPA web planner shows up on the iFly EFB app fairly seamlessly.

I dug out a samsung tablet and I am going to take Garmin Pilot for a spin. FF renews in Feb so I have a month to see if I want to switch.
Also taking WingX for a spin

I dug out a samsung tablet and I am going to take Garmin Pilot for a spin. FF renews in Feb so I have a month to see if I want to switch.

iFly also offers a free trial if you’d like to give it a shot as well.

Doesn't iTunes unpack that for you? It used to. My desktop is a Mac, so I don't have these problems anymore. I can drag and drop from the tablet directly onto the Mac's screen with the mouse, sync the tablet, or airdrop it.

I’ve been using WingX full instrument version on my iPad mini for 5 years. It’s free for military (retired) and instructors. It’s capable for what I need, and the price is right. FF is what I use for the work airplane / iPad. It’s leaps and bounds ahead of WingX.

@SixPapaCharlie - what model and size of Samsung tablet will you be trying out?

We both like Garmin Pilot. And we both really like Samsung devices. But we've found our older Samsung 8 inch S2 can no longer run it fast enough. I'm sure a latest model Tab S7 or whatever will be awesome.

So the irony is the only ipad we own is a mini 5 for the plane.

Samsung + GP would randomly crash hard. Love the send in data request while up in the air.

But the iPad will get totally stuck trying to return to the main map screen. Totally dark. Close the app and it repeats. Will do that like 3+ times and then works. Starting to think it's because it was using the hangar wifi and as we taxi out and enter a flight plan we also no longer have internet.

It used to do thevsame thing whenever we show the SnyViz screen and then go back to the moving map.

I'm surprised how buggy both are. Assuming our sw team is smaller than their ios team or Android team and these are the bugs a tester would find so easily.

I hope it works for you. We so miss the Android screen and brightness during the day. And the extra SD card.

Back