"with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern"

dmspilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DISPLAY NAME
This language is used in several places in 14 CFR 61, for example 61.109(a)(2)(ii) requiring 10 full stop night landings and 61.109(a)(5)(iii) requiring 3 full stop solo landings at a tower controlled airport.

Are there any legal interpretations on what constitutes a flight in the traffic pattern? Does this mean that if tower assigns you a straight in, it doesn't count? What if you enter on base? Downwind? Do you have to fly all 5 legs?

Straight in is part of the traffic pattern...it's final.

If you ask me, it's so that people don't go to places like KGSP which is a sleepy little Class C with an 11,000' runway. You could do 4+ stop and go's on that runway without ever getting more than 10' off the ground.

If you ask me, it's so that people don't go to places like KGSP which is a sleepy little Class C with an 11,000' runway. You could do 4+ stop and go's on that runway without ever getting more than 10' off the ground.

Of course, I can certainly get several stop and goes to pattern attitude on an 11,000 foot runway. I've done it at IAD late at night.

I did mine at a quiet (at night) Class D where the tower offered straight-in, but was more than happy to grant my request for full patterns on each landing.

Back