With ADS-B, do we really need to ATC interaction through the ADIZ?

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by k9medic, Nov 6, 2019.

1. k9medic

k9medic Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    k9medic
    I got to thinking about the subject line on my flight back from the Bahamas this Sunday.

I had an IFR plan on file and took off from MYAT headed to Fort Pierce. There was a decent cloud deck that limited my ability to climb to altitude without a clearance. Miami usually pick me up at around 5000' and I knew that climb was not going to happen.

As I flew towards the US, I continually tried to raise Miami. As I got closer to Freeport, I tried them as well. Calls to Miami Radio were also unanswered. The weather had me deviating a little farther north than I wanted to go and I was stuck under a solid deck at 1500'.

The closer I got to the ADIZ, the more concerned I became. I had a flight plan on file, ATC could most likely see who I was and I was not doing anything strange (other than flying at 1500')

I finally raised Palm Beach appr. when I was about 30nm off the coast. They gave me a code and I went on my way.

With ADS-B becoming mandatory, are flight plans for the purpose of transiting the ADIZ really necessary?

2. sarangan

sarangan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew Sarangan, CFII
    I suspect flight plans will continue to be required because ADS-B does not tell them who is flying the airplane. Possibly a security issue.

3. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    Also, with some units you can punch in any tail number or flight ID you want for every flight.

4. Computerjim

Computerjim Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    JimISC2452
    A flight plan with ADCUS in the remarks or an IFR flight plan. in my experience the best way is to get in tough with ATC as soon as possible before crossing the ADZ. I have used flight service as a relay on occasion.

5. John Collins

John Collins Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    ADS-B or a mode S transponder indicates what the N number is, but not who the pilot is and not where you are going.