Wisdom Teeth

DanielH

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Well, the time has come and all four of my wisdom teeth need to be removed. During the same surgery I will also be having two implants placed.

Is there anything other than self-grounding until off of pain meds and report on next medical that I need to do? FWIW I hold a third class medical and PPL. Thanks.

Well, the time has come and all four of my wisdom teeth need to be removed. During the same surgery I will also be having two implants placed.

Is there anything other than self-grounding until off of pain meds and report on next medical that I need to do? FWIW I hold a third class medical and PPL. Thanks.
That's pretty much it. I did the same after knee surgery. I asked the surgeon when I could start driving again. His response was "when you feel like it, but you're not gonna feel like it for a while"

I just had a wisdom tooth pulled (and the bone graft for an implant at another location installed). Once you're recovered from the anesthesia and you're not taking pain pills for it, you should be OK. Frankly, by the time the whopping dose of novocaine wore off and I could talk again, I was fine. Just some slight tenderness around the extraction site. Didn't end up needing to take anything stronger than the ibuprophen they gave me to go.

I just had 3 wisdom teeth out about 6 months ago. It wasn't a big deal at all. I didn't even take the pain meds. I can't speak for the implants, but the wisdom teeth operation is no biggy. I had the same concerns as you going into it though.

The surgeon says the implants are nothing compared to the wisdom teeth. Not really worried about, just not looking forward to it.

Just had mine done the other month. It was actually quite enjoyable. Absolutely no pain, a nice relaxing day, and I flew just 3 days after (did not take any of the pain meds). Still have 4 little holes in the gum though.

What does this airmen need to get from the dental surgeon for his medical? I know it's a yawner, but I think it's still reportable.

Mike, it's reportable but very rarely is anything required. Teeth have no aeromedical implications, unless there is an abscess. An abscess would get detected by the airman AND the AME, and the airman would likely cancel his appointment, he'd feel so lousy.....

As my AME would say "You got better, right?" while notating these sort of medical experiences.

I had mine done a couple of years ago and ended up getting dry socket on one of them. Don't over rinse them early on. This may be what caused this for me. It adds a few days of pain and at least another visit.

Are you wise enough to fly after having them pulled? I am surprised this isn't a concern of the FAA. :dunno:

I still have mine so does not apply to me. :rofl:

Are you wise enough to fly after having them pulled? I am surprised this isn't a concern of the FAA. :dunno:

I still have mine so does not apply to me. :rofl:

Believe me you are usually much better after the extraction than before. If the anesthesia is gone and you don't hurt, it will be OK

Believe me you are usually much better after the extraction than before.
Well, mine have never bothered me and the lowers never showed up on a bite-wing x-ray. Had a panoramic x-ray done 'bout 10 years ago and discovered why. They're laying down on top of the mandibular(IIRC) nerve and my dentist said that he would refer me to a neurosurgeon if they ever needed to come out.

Since I don't want to go thru life with a permanent "novacaine" feeling, I'd prefer to just leave them be....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back