Wiring question

Jon Gunther

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jon Gunther
Hello all, I currently own a 65 Piper Cherokee 140. As I do more research on how I will become ads-b compliant, I have been considering the sky beacon unit. With this I will be required to have my nav lights on all the time.

My question is that my nav light switch doubles as the instrument light switch and dimmer switch. I would like to add a dedicated switch for the nav lights and keep the original switch for the instrument lights. Would this be something that an A&P would be able to do with a log book entry?

I'd check your aircraft's wiring diagram and see if it is correct now (doesn't seem right). But, yes, your A&P can add a switch with a logbook entry.

Hello all, I currently own a 65 Piper Cherokee 140. As I do more research on how I will become ads-b compliant, I have been considering the sky beacon unit. With this I will be required to have my nav lights on all the time.

My question is that my nav light switch doubles as the instrument light switch and dimmer switch. I would like to add a dedicated switch for the nav lights and keep the original switch for the instrument lights. Would this be something that an A&P would be able to do with a log book entry?

I don’t know how the Sky Beacon is wired as far as separate connections for the ADS-B and Nav light. I can tell you that pulling an additional wire through the wing for a separate ADS-B power switch is much easier on the right wing. On my 74 Warrior, the Nav light wire is tied to the pitot heat wire with string about every foot in the left wing. I discovered this a few years ago when adding wingtip strobes.

I'd check your aircraft's wiring diagram and see if it is correct now (doesn't seem right).

Nav lights/instruments on the same switch/pot is par for the course on PA28s. It's the dial to the left of all the switches.

Your likely going to want to switch to LED nav light on the anther side since the light is always on. Also check. but the Sky Beacon unit only puts out 18 watts. The transponder versions are 200 watts.

Your likely going to want to switch to LED nav light on the anther side since the light is always on. Also check. but the Sky Beacon unit only puts out 18 watts. The transponder versions are 200 watts.

I was wondering if he purchased the other side, which provides ADS-B in.

From what i have read, the ads-b in is not available yet

I am in the process of modifying a PA28-160 in a similar fashion, adding a wingtip strobe system. I don't see any issues with separating the position lights from the instrument lights. In my case, I am adding a three position switch for the position lights only (nav/off/nav & logo), while leaving the original switch just for instrument light use. The strobes will have their own dedicated switch. I still have to verify a few things in the circuits, but it should be doable.

Back