Wiring question for avionic techs

frtrkap

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
frtrkap
I’m a mechanic so trying to think what the best practice would be for the following scenario.

PA-28 with a dash mounted Garmin handheld gps, JPI EDM 700 and future 406 ELT. I am looking to feed the serial data from the gps to the JPI and ELT and I’m trying to find an elegant way to go about doing that.

The garmin gps has a pigtail cable for power, audio and data. I was thinking about soldering the data lines in a DB9 connector and install the matching connector in a small plastic box. Then, internally, do the connections. I could have all devices coming into the DB9.

I’m open to all suggestions, that’s just what I had off the top of my head. Any link to resources would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

-F

If you have any solder cup DB connectors, please throw them away and use crimp pins and connectors. Beyond that, the same Aviation data output can go both to the JPI and the ELT. Next, it is acceptable to use free-hanging DB connections if supported. No need for a plastic box.

Yeah, crimping makes more sense indeed. And I guess I can jump pins internally in the connector shell as needed. Hmmm

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Which GPS? How is it mounted? The neatest way would be with something like the airgizmo dock which would make it easy to remove and eliminate dangling cords.

It is mounted with an airgizmo dock

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Back