Wireless question

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
We recently moved to an airpark which required DSL for internet. The company supplied a combination DSL modem and router that has 4 wired input and 4 wireless. When I hooked our computers up everything went seamlessly right off. My wife and I were networked again and our laptop connected to the wireless with no problem.

Well this weekend our son came up from Phoenix to help me do some work in the hangar. When he attempted to connect to our wireless all the further he got was "waiting for network address". He is running the same flavor of Windows and as far as we could tell our network setting were identical on both computers.

He had the correct WPA code entered. This was checked a number of times.

We didn't think the firewall was involved since he never even connected to the router. We did however turn firewalls off with no change.

Can anyone give me some direction on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

The waiting for network address step is his computer asking for an ip address from the DHCP server (probably the router).

If your (working) systems are also set to "obtain address automatically" and they still work I suspect that the number of addresses allocated to remote computers has been exhausted.

Joe

Last edited:
Are you using a "2wire" brand router/modem?
If so, they sometimes have a problem with lynksis wireless equipment.
I have found that you MUST use windows to control the wireless connection and not an "after market" program with the "2wire".

In addition to what's said above, I find in practice that "waiting for network address" or "Invalid address", etc means the router didn't accept the wireless password he entered. Check is your router is actually using WPA as a lot of the 2Wires I've seen still use 40bit WEP.

Is your service within the greater Salome metropolitan area?

+1 to everything above. Either the laptop/router handshake including the encryption isn't happening (WEP/WPA mismatch, not at SP3, or not letting windows manage the wireless), or that handshake was ok but no addresses were available. I'd be annoyed if the router had a low limit on the amount of addresses it could hand out, but that could be a policy of your Internet Service Provider.

Are you guys seriously implying that there are ISP that offer equipment limiting availible local IPs below 200? Why bother when a $30 router can overcome that?

Are you guys seriously implying that there are ISP that offer equipment limiting availible local IPs below 200? Why bother when a $30 router can overcome that?

Comcast's equipment ends at their cable modem. It connects to my router and the switch behind it that provides some gigabit Ethernet within the network. They don't know, nor do they need to know, how many computers are running in the house at any one time (and I'd have to stop and think about it to know myself :D ). 1 IP address is all they are providing. Get's the old sailor's highest recommendation - "Works fine. Lasts a long time."

Back