wireless question for y'all...

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
from a Luddite (really! It's tattooed on my forehead, "Luddite"!)

Ok, so if I try and download certain video it crashes my wireless router. Not the computer, but the router in the other room. If I do nothing but reboot the router, all is well. So this means that I can watch Skyking from the link someone posted on another thread.

I don't get this - why would this happen?

Thanks - if y'all have any questions about banging rocks together or something, feel free to ask!

etsisk said:
from a Luddite (really! It's tattooed on my forehead, "Luddite"!)

Ok, so if I try and download certain video it crashes my wireless router. Not the computer, but the router in the other room. If I do nothing but reboot the router, all is well. So this means that I can watch Skyking from the link someone posted on another thread.

I don't get this - why would this happen?

Thanks - if y'all have any questions about banging rocks together or something, feel free to ask!
You have a netgear router.

Check the router's manufacturer site to see if there is a newer version of firmware available for it. This often fixes a lot of issues and adds a few features.

If the firewall supports SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection), try turning it off temporarily. Download the video, then check the router. Turn it back on regardless but call their tech support AFTER you've tried the firmware upgrade. That's the first thing they'll check.

Brian Austin said:
Check the router's manufacturer site to see if there is a newer version of firmware available for it. This often fixes a lot of issues and adds a few features.

If the firewall supports SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection), try turning it off temporarily. Download the video, then check the router. Turn it back on regardless but call their tech support AFTER you've tried the firmware upgrade. That's the first thing they'll check.

And follow the instructions for updating the firmware exactly, especially the parts about using a hardwired connection to the router and not killing power during the upload. You can completely kill some routers if you screw up a firmware upgrade.

lancefisher said:
And follow the instructions for updating the firmware exactly, especially the parts about using a hardwired connection to the router and not killing power during the upload. You can completely kill some routers if you screw up a firmware upgrade.
Definitely true on older systems but not so much on newer ones. The new ones typically have a portion of flash that stores the new firmware upon download, runs a checksum to confirm integrity, THEN upgrades it. The old systems wrote over the existing firmware immediately.

An engineer I talked to said this was primarily due to flash memory costs more than anything. As memory dropped in price and allowed more capacities, the home use products started following the big boys design (which has done this for years).

And wireless isn't as much of an issue as previous (mainly due to the storage/checksum technique). It's a heck of a lot faster with a wired connection, though.

wsuffa said:
EVERY wireless router/gateway has had some sort of issue. I've installed hundreds of these things and had problems with every manufacturer at least once.

Thanks, guys -

Actually, it's a linksys router! But maybe it THINKS it's a netgear!

Oh, COOL - I just saw a guy ride by on a Segway!!

Hmm... something about Stateful Packet Inspection... I think my router only uses HPI (HATEful packet inspection!).

Y'all are scaring me with this "firmware, download it but watchout you don't kill your router" talk! I told ya about the luddite tattoo, right?

Ok, well it's not just me, anyway, so maybe there is some sort of hope available...

Tom

Back