Wireless Networking

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I am no guru by any means but I seem to have become the IT guy for my plant.
(by default I know the difference between XP and Vista so I got the job, LOL)

I have a wireless router set up and can get a signal in most of the plant, but not all of it.
With that in mind, what would one of you guru's do? Get some range extenders and place them in the right spots for 100 bucks a pop. Or just get some 60 dollar wireless routers and set them up as access points in the right places.
We can run the hard wire for whatever works the best.

Thanks

Mark

run the hard wire and add access points as needed. Be sure to configure the other devices as access points - hard code the ip addresses, set the SSID and WEP/WPA keys identically, and disable DHCP services on them.

I do this for my house - one wireless router at one end and one access point at the other. Gives good coverage everywhere, and the handoff from one node to the other is seamless.

run the hard wire and add access points as needed. Be sure to configure the other devices as access points - hard code the ip addresses, set the SSID and WEP/WPA keys identically, and disable DHCP services on them.

I do this for my house - one wireless router at one end and one access point at the other. Gives good coverage everywhere, and the handoff from one node to the other is seamless.

+1. It'll work better than repeaters/extenders.

I'd run Ethernet and tell them that wireless no longer works at that location because of seismic activity on Ganymede. I hate wireless.

Failing that, I would go with Tim's advice.

-Rich

Back