Wireless mouse

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I recently bought a new MS wireless mouse.
Had GREAT luck with my old one, but wife wanted wireless also so bought a new one etc..

This new one though keeps giving me "low battery warnings" and has already gone through one set of batteries in less than two weeks.
It is the "invisible laser" type.
Have changed the mouse pad, moved the antenna closer to it.
Anyone else have any ideas how to get more life out of the batteries or was I just really lucky last time. The old mouse would go 6 months or more without a battery change but wasn't the invisible laser type.

Thanks
Mark B

In my opinion there is something wrong with the mouse. Can you take it back for an exchange? I have never had that sort of trouble with any of my wireless mice.

On this very computer, I'm using the Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 4000. For the first week, it kept giving me low battery indications. I replaced batteries once and still got the indications a few times.

That was four months ago. After that first week it has worked great. I'm still just as confused. It takes a lot of abuse between me dropping if off the side table and my cat kicking it on to the floor.

Either you have a freak occurrence like I had or it's completely bad.

I have had the microsoft wireless mouse model 1052 for 2 years. I'm still on the second set of batteries. Sometimes I'll get a low batt indication, but it's usually because some desk clutter has gotten in the way. It's tolerant of a fair amount of blockage, though. I agree there's probably something wrong with your mouse.

Thanks.
Last resort was this morning I moved it to a different USB port.
Was the last thing in "help' that I hadn't tried yet.
Was on for about 4 hours this morning with no warnings, maybe that did it???

You might have had a old or bad set of batteries. You might try switching to long life lithium batteries.

I have the Logitech Bluetooth notebook mouse on my Macbook Pro. A pair of AA's last me 6-9 weeks in fairly heavy use.

I recently bought a new MS wireless mouse.
Had GREAT luck with my old one, but wife wanted wireless also so bought a new one etc..

This new one though keeps giving me "low battery warnings" and has already gone through one set of batteries in less than two weeks.

Mark,

Do you have a battery tester? If not, get one, or you'll be inadvertently throwing away perfectly good batteries due to these false alerts. The MS mouse shows this error a lot. For me, it was "Method 4" in this article that made the biggest difference (different color mouse pad), though I still get warnings from time to time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916457

Hope you find a solution you're happy with.

On this very computer, I'm using the Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 4000. For the first week, it kept giving me low battery indications. I replaced batteries once and still got the indications a few times.

That was four months ago. After that first week it has worked great. I'm still just as confused. It takes a lot of abuse between me dropping if off the side table and my cat kicking it on to the floor.

Either you have a freak occurrence like I had or it's completely bad.

I have the very same mouse and I use it with my IBM Thinkpad. I've never had a problem with it at all.

I have the very same mouse and I use it with my IBM Thinkpad. I've never had a problem with it at all.
I use it with a Compaq 1350 set up in the living room. The "mouse pad" is the arm of my recliner. :)

Now, if only the wireless keyboard with its built-in track ball that came with an HP Z556 Media Center box worked as well?

The last time I had issues with a wireless mouse, I was told that I wasn't giving it enough wireless cheese ... :)

The last time I had issues with a wireless mouse, I was told that I wasn't giving it enough wireless cheese ... :)

I am writing Microsoft a letter. The box didn't mention ANYTHING about wireless cheese being needed.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I use the MS Wireless 3000 keyboard and mouse on both of my systems. I also get the occasional warning about low battery, even when the batteries are fresh. As noted before, the KnowledgeBase article pretty much covers it. In general, though, I just ignore the warnings; when the keyboard or mouse eventually stops working, then I replace the batteries.

Dan

Well between "all" the stuff, (moving the antenna, changing the pad, different USB port, ignoring most of the messages) seems to be lasting OK now.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Mark B

Back