Wireless hot spot capability

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My wife is the president of her local chapter of a national organization. The building where they hold their monthly meetings has been having internet problems and don't know when or if they will get if fixed.

They usually have around 40 people in attendance and around 20 or so that Zoom in. They are trying to figure out an alternative internet connection, and are talking about some kind of hot spot. Their webmaster's wife is in the hospital and probably going to hospice, so he isn't much help. I'm trying to help, but I'm no expert and I'm concerned about what kind of hot spot can support 20 users wirelessly.

The central station is a laptop that connects via HDMI to a projector, so those zooming in can see what the local audience sees as it is being projected. On the few occasions when those zooming in need to say something, the video is reversed so those in attendance can see the remote speaker.
The laptop has wifi, but with no internet in the building, there is no wifi.

Any suggestions on any sort of wireless hot spot that can handle this kind of load?

Not likely.

We tried a 5G hotspot in a conference with a dozen or so dialed in and 20-ish in the room. It did not go well. Might have been substantially better with a solid 4-bar 5G signal, but we definitely did not have that.

I could be wrong. We’ve only tried it a couple of times in two different locations, but results were not good either time.

How much do you want to spend? You can get a monthly subscription to a fixed wireless installation, depending the location.

Here’s a T-mobile hotspot device with 30 days / 30GB free trial service included (it’s called T-Mobile test drive hotspot). If you are streaming zoom, then that is basically using one data connection, you can probably even use your mobile phone for the whole thing. T-mobile usually has good coverage, you’d probably want the unit placed by a window and plugged in.

For next time, you can top up or get a prepaid service, the device might be locked to t-mobile so you’d have to check on that if that’s important.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1858027836...pVDxJ+1HNTKsGCNPQ0ZPaAwA==|tkp:Bk9SR_zbqaLpYQ

The 20 or so who dial in remotely will not affect the local bandwidth.

If you’ve got more than 2 bars of cell service, the laptop hooked to the projector can hotspot right off your phone or an ipad with cell service without a problem.

Do not give the 40 in the room your hotspot password, or they will swamp your outgoing video bandwidth and crash the meeting.

Is there any reason the 40 in the room are going to need to be on zoom online? If they are only going to see the projection from the laptop without logging into zoom, all should be good.

I do this all the time.

The 20 or so who dial in remotely will not affect the local bandwidth.
But what kind of video performance will those zoomed in get?

Is there any reason the 40 in the room are going to need to be on zoom online?
No. And they would probably "zoom" through my data plan pretty quickly too. There are always a few browsing instead of paying attention to the program.[/quote]
I do this all the time.
Good to know. Thanks.

Here’s a T-mobile hotspot device with 30 days / 30GB free trial service included (it’s called T-Mobile test drive hotspot). If you are streaming zoom, then that is basically using one data connection, you can probably even use your mobile phone for the whole thing. T-mobile usually has good coverage, you’d probably want the unit placed by a window and plugged in.

For next time, you can top up or get a prepaid service, the device might be locked to t-mobile so you’d have to check on that if that’s important.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185802783647?hash=item2b42b57b9f:g:5fwAAOSwvuZkBR4z&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8JACVOWgESxSySxqj6LvLzxuxIy2sCLpuh7n2pYSkMcvCehSMQFlNjMDLBba/LsahBxoiZ0hY+Cm7x3Llxl//M7WHGxJLpjjAOyVkooLNwasNXEJ6rHCOuaVI/nZLHl7/uTdKPM5SlSUC6tymPrlPB56aJ+Il2t4RhZn8jsADmlcCBE1zJQB4bP39uxHrx01g6FBfufmrwP4/bZhjVaRzHOcGrVIm4LpnSC7GxDPV+VlZnbNUKwlMZ1o0XM2ddrE//9+jxd0WHnazz96CTmQock/d8++nwkLE3714pz6UWpVDxJ+1HNTKsGCNPQ0ZPaAwA==|tkp:Bk9SR_zbqaLpYQ
I'll check that out. That sounds like what someone else at their meeting was suggesting.

Video performance is no guarantee, it depends on the coverage where your device is and the network load, if it is busy then your data may be interrupted. There’s no guarantees when using 4G/5G but it is generally reliable until it isn’t.

Why do people in the room need an internet connection? I rarely connect to hotspots. I just use my own phone for my connection, and have wireless turned of 99% of the time.

Why do people in the room need an internet connection? I rarely connect to hotspots. I just use my own phone for my connection, and have wireless turned of 99% of the time.
Why does anyone need an internet connection. if I am putting up a hotspot and advertise the password, people will use it.

If you are streaming zoom, then that is basically using one data connection, you can probably even use your mobile phone for the whole thing.
:yeahthat:
Tether the laptop to someone's phone and you're done.

if I am putting up a hotspot and advertise the password, people will use it.

Don't do that. Just setup the hotspot for yourself to host the zoom and don't let anyone else in the room use it.

Why does anyone need an internet connection. if I am putting up a hotspot and advertise the password, people will use it.

Well apparently the laptop needs one. But why does anyone not on that laptop need access to the wifi hotspot needed for the laptop?

I mean people don't NEED a dishwasher either, but do you invite the whole neighborhood to use yours if you buy one? Then why do so for a wifi hotspot?

But what kind of video performance will those zoomed in get?

It doesn't matter whether there's one or 1000 on the other side. You are only streaming 1 instance from your laptop.

The video performance depends on the signal strength and local bandwidth your phone or hotspot will receive/send in that room.

You can try at any time from your phone to see if it's acceptable. Just create a dummy zoom meeting from that venue and have someone else observe the feed for a few minutes. Again, don't let anyone else in the room connect to your hotspot during the real meeting. That will slow down your video.

:yeahthat:
Tether the laptop to someone's phone and you're done.

This is how it's best done on the cheap for occasional use. If someone doesn't have an unlimited plan, it is probably cheaper to just pay them the $10/mo to upgrade to an unlimited plan instead of paying for a separate hot spot.

For the people zooming it, it will all work better (smoother/faster) if they turn off their video (or the host can control that too).

What "video" is being projected? Is it just static PowerPoint slides, or something with minimal animation? If so, that's a much lighter bandwidth load than full-motion video, and should work with even marginal cell service if the laptop is tethered to a phone for its internet connection.

If you're projecting full-motion video, then bandwidth will be a much greater concern. Even so, Zoom / Teams / Skype / etc. put a LOT of effort into bandwidth optimization when videoconference usage skyrocketed during the pandemic. In general, low-bandwidth performance by videoconference apps is a lot better today than it was three years ago. You might be surprised with how little bandwidth you can get by with.

it's my understanding that Zoom automagically adjusts video parameters (frame rate, resolution, and such) to adapt to changing network bandwidth availability.

Don't do that. Just setup the hotspot for yourself to host the zoom and don't let anyone else in the room use it.
Well apparently the laptop needs one. But why does anyone not on that laptop need access to the wifi hotspot needed for the laptop?

I mean people don't NEED a dishwasher either, but do you invite the whole neighborhood to use yours if you buy one? Then why do so for a wifi hotspot?
I'm not really sure what the misunderstanding is. I am not saying I am giving out the password. In fact, I am saying that I don't want to give out the password to anyone local. They don't need it, but if it is free, they will use it. That is what I DON'T want.

What "video" is being projected? Is it just static PowerPoint slides, or something with minimal animation? If so, that's a much lighter bandwidth load than full-motion video, and should work with even marginal cell service if the laptop is tethered to a phone for its internet connection.
The case last week was a remote presenter with a camera on herself and alternating between her and a power point presentation. But the internet failed right at the beginning and there was chaos. The internet issue has still not been resolved so they will not be doing remote presentations. Now the plan is just powerpoint graphics and live audio.

I'm not really sure what the misunderstanding is. I am not saying I am giving out the password. In fact, I am saying that I don't want to give out the password to anyone local. They don't need it, but if it is free, they will use it. That is what I DON'T want.

I think most of us (I did - at least) interpreted the first question as you wanting a hotspot for 20 to join it.

If you hotspot your phone, you give it a name and a password for the hotspot.
On a Samsung Android you go to
Settings
Connections
Mobile Hotspot and Tethering
Move the slider to ON
Tap on that area again after it is on.
Scroll down and give it a name, and a password.

Now on the laptop, find that network and log in. Don't give the password to anyone else.

You said, "I'm trying to help, but I'm no expert and I'm concerned about what kind of hot spot can support 20 users wirelessly" meaning that you wanted 20 people to connect. We are saying you don't want that. Just keep the password to yourself and be the only person using the hotspot.

You said, "I'm trying to help, but I'm no expert and I'm concerned about what kind of hot spot can support 20 users wirelessly" meaning that you wanted 20 people to connect. We are saying you don't want that. Just keep the password to yourself and be the only person using the hotspot.
Ok, I think I see what the confusion was. And I do appreciate everyone's input.

I guess when I said:
They usually have around 40 people in attendance and around 20 or so that Zoom in.
I should have said:
They usually have around 40 people in attendance and an additional 20 or so remote members that will Zoom in

Ok, I think I see what the confusion was. And I do appreciate everyone's input.

I guess when I said:

I should have said:
For what it's worth, I had to co-host a zoom meeting 2 weeks ago while traveling. I couldn't get back to someplace with known good Wi-Fi in a timely fashion, so I did the meeting from a parking lot using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop computer. It worked very well. The presentation was pre-recorded and it ran well, I had no issues answering questions at the end. Someone in Lincoln ran the recording. I think this is similar to your situation. I had video, a Q & A session, chat, and watched the attendance list. To me, it ran as well as using a good Wi-Fi connection. I was using AT&T (company phone and data plan). I was surprised it worked so well, hotspots have really improved with the advent of 5G.

I was surprised it worked so well, hotspots have really improved with the advent of 5G.
That, and the improved bandwidth efficiency of videocon apps. But success will always be dependent on the quality of the hotspot phone's internet data connection. If OP's org is meeting inside a concrete and steel bunker with no windows, they may not have great success. Even in a situation like that, if they're able to set the phone on a chair or tray outside an open door with line-of-sight to the laptop inside the bunker, they may get much better results.

If you or your wife's phone doesn't perform well, it could also simply be that your cell provider doesn't have a tower near enough to get a good signal to you. See if anyone else who's on a different provider would be willing to share their phone's hotspot (only with the presenter's laptop!) and maybe you can find one that gets the job done.

Also, don't forget to plug the phone in while using the hotspot feature. If the phone dies, the laptop internet link dies with it. The hotspot feature can really drain the battery on some phones.

Another tip for extended hot spot usage is to have a small ice pack under the phone (separated by a thin towel). Many phones get very hot with extended hot spot use, and having active cooling will help keep the connection stable.

I think it's the better codecs. I'm still on LTE but can happily run rdp/zoom/webex.
You are probably right, but everything is "snappier" now than when I used hot spots with earlier types of data prior to 5G. If I had to edit files, I would download them from the network drive, make the edits, and push them back. I can skip the download/upload steps now.

You are probably right, but everything is "snappier" now than when I used hot spots with earlier types of data prior to 5G. If I had to edit files, I would download them from the network drive, make the edits, and push them back. I can skip the download/upload steps now.
YMMV. There are a lot of moving parts in remote login / networked storage setups. We used to have a local server farm at work that was as snappy as opening a file from the hard drive inside the PC. Now everything's in the cloud, and there's significant lag when opening / saving / copying files. I wish we could have kept the local servers, but I understand why they made the change.

YMMV. There are a lot of moving parts in remote login / networked storage setups. We used to have a local server farm at work that was as snappy as opening a file from the hard drive inside the PC. Now everything's in the cloud, and there's significant lag when opening / saving / copying files. I wish we could have kept the local servers, but I understand why they made the change.
How does that apply to remote log-in using Wi-Fi vs a 5G connection? I use both as needed to our company's network drives and OneDrive and I haven't noticed a difference.

How does that apply to remote log-in using Wi-Fi vs a 5G connection? I use both as needed to our company's network drives and OneDrive and I haven't noticed a difference.
Wait...I thought you just told me that you saw a big difference between 5G and "earlier types of data". Where'd wifi come from?

But my point is just that there are a lot of links in the chain that play into the performance of the connection, and not all of them are apparent to the user. Wifi vs 5G could make a difference. Networked drives vs. OneDrive could make a difference. Back-end connection for how your company networked its drives or constrains user authorization to corporate OneDrive could make a difference. If a VPN is involved, that's a whole other layer of potential performance impact, and depending on the VPN it might be highly variable from one connection to the next. If we're talking about a specific app like Teams or Zoom, then changes in app design over time can make a difference. I'm just saying there are a lot of variables in end-to-end data connections these days that can impact overall performance.

It's certainly possible that the "snappier" performance you saw was all due to your change to 5G. It's also possible that someone in a different situation would not see an increase in performance using a 5G connection because the performance bottlenecks exist elsewhere in their communications chain.

Wait...I thought you just told me that you saw a big difference between 5G and "earlier types of data". Where'd wifi come from?
I'm using 5G and wi-fi now, so I'm comparing those to one another. The "other types of data" referred to 2G, 3G, and other phone data connections that were barely usable to connect to networked drives, for my purposes.

But my point is just that there are a lot of links in the chain that play into the performance of the connection, and not all of them are apparent to the user. Wifi vs 5G could make a difference. Networked drives vs. OneDrive could make a difference. Back-end connection for how your company networked its drives or constrains user authorization to corporate OneDrive could make a difference. If a VPN is involved, that's a whole other layer of potential performance impact, and depending on the VPN it might be highly variable from one connection to the next. If we're talking about a specific app like Teams or Zoom, then changes in app design over time can make a difference. I'm just saying there are a lot of variables in end-to-end data connections these days that can impact overall performance.

It's certainly possible that the "snappier" performance you saw was all due to your change to 5G. It's also possible that someone in a different situation would not see an increase in performance using a 5G connection because the performance bottlenecks exist elsewhere in their communications chain.
The last sentence here applies best. I've seeing equivalent response using 5G and Wi-Fi thus far. If I should have a poor 5G connection, it's a given that Wi-Fi would give better response.

I have used a battery operated Netgear 4G hotspot with T-Mobile for camping at Sun N Fun and Oshkosh. I typically limit access to 5 -6 people and may use it to stream music. It works well for my purposes but I doubt that it would satisfy your needs. I use a QR code to distribute the SSID and password because users can't easily share the password with others. T-Mobile offers a 5G internet service for a flat $50 a month with no contract and a free trial period. That may work for your needs. Some hackers have significantly increased performance by hooking these up to a directional antenna pointed at the cell tower. Your other options are limited to Starlink, FIOS, cable, or other cellular services.

Back