wireless antenna

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
May have asked before but can't find it if I did.

I have a Lynksis wireless card in one of my desk tops.
Pretty far away from the router and "buried" in a computer desk.
It keeps dropping out, moving the router is not an option and really don't WANT to move the PC either.
Does someone make an "extension" or something that you can screw onto the existing card so I can get the antenna up higher and not so "buried"?

Thanks

Yes

There are numerous antennas, both that attach directly to your card or that can be set on your desk which will materially improve the reception.

Search wifi antenna or 2.4GHz antenna.

~ Christopher

Just go to your favorite tech store's wireless section and try to find a high gain antenna. I used one to borrow someone's wireless for a while. Really improved on a flaky connection.

The one I got is supposed to give you +8db onmidirectional gain.

or if you are somewhat handy and just finished off some pringles, you can build your own. http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

Pete

You might try changing the WiFi channel. It you're getting interference a different channel might get through better.

Else you can set up a LinkSys with WRT-DD (or an Apple Airport Extreme) as a WiFi repeater. Just plug one in somewhere between the Access Point and the faraway PC.

Last edited:
Plus you get to eat the Pringles first :)

Pete

You might try changing the WiFi channel. It you're getting interference a different channel might get through better.

Try switching the channel first like Mike said. Sometimes a neighbor may be using the same channel as you which cuts down your effective range. Also, if you have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone or other 2.4 Ghz devices consider changing either the device's channel or the router's channel. Also, if the computer is stationary (a desktop) consider a directional antenna which may take a little time to aim.

Or best of all, buy yourself some Cat6 and wire the connection.

I seriously hate wireless. I wish it had never been invented. Before there was such a thing, there was exactly one way to do networking: by using some sort of physical connection between the machines. It sometimes was time-consuming and expensive, but it was stable, fast, dependable, and usually permanent. On difficult runs I would add a few extra cables, the price of the cable itself generally being trivial compared to that of the labor to run it. The extras were for future expansion or for those fairly infrequent cases when corrosion, construction, etc. caused a cable to go dark after installation.

I still try to encourage clients to go with Ethernet (or fiber) because it's more dependable and more secure. When residential clients refuse to run wires and insist on wireless, I will assist them, but I also inform them of all the pitfalls of wireless and tell them that any future calls when, not if, the wireless network flakes out for no apparent reason, will be billable.

For business clients, I simply decline most wireless networking jobs. Why? Because with businesses, a loss of connectivity usually means an unscheduled and inconvenient emergency call (which the client is often reluctant to pay for because they feel it's my fault) when the network goes down for any of the myriad reasons that wireless networks can go down. And they go down often.

Yes, wired networks can also go down, but we're talking about relative frequency here. The 2.4 GHz band is essentially unregulated. As long as the power is kept under a certain level (200 mW, IIRC), pretty much anyone can use 2.4 for anything, so interference is always an issue and can appear well after the network is set up because of some foreign wireless device that is placed in service by the client or a neighbor.

There are also issues with clients (as in machines) losing the PSKs for no apparent reason, and clients (as in people) breaking them when they try to troubleshoot problems themselves. Most commonly, an unrelated Internet outage leads to a call to their Internet provider, whose support tech tells them to "press and hold the reset button on the router," thus resetting it to its defaults, resetting the SSID, disabling the security, and destroying the network. Because I disable the ability to connect to unsecured networks on the client adapters for security reasons, the entire network goes dark until I can get there to reprogram the router or try to find someone onsite who has enough common sense that I can assist them by phone.

In addition, 2.4 is a multiple of 60, which is the frequency of house current in the U.S., so ordinary electrical appliances that draw high current can create harmonics that interfere with wireless network devices. I once had a call a from residential client who complained that the connection went down every night at about the same time, and traced it to a family member using a 1000-watt hair drier at that time every night.

The point is that wireless networking is inherently flaky. If you use it, understand that there are many, many things that can interfere with it, so it will seldom be as stable and dependable as a wired network. If what you want is stability, security, and dependability, go with wires.

Rich

I too generally prefer a wired connection, but there are occasions where it is just uneconomical to run cable. In addition, for home use, being able to carry a laptop out onto the deck is really nice.

~ Christopher

One other, often overlooked, potential source of interference to IEEE 802.11bg wireless is Bluetooth. While the 802.11 devices operate on a single channel at a time, Bluetooth is a pseudo-random frequency hopping system in the same portion of the spectrum. Experiments performed by a group of electrical engineering students at Washington State University several years ago showed that co-located Bluetooth transmitters would cause 802.11b links to crash when they hopped into the spectrum used by that 802.11b channel in use. And where do I use Bluetooth? The headset for my mobile phone. And some use it for cordless keyboards and mice.

Just another thought to ponder...

The 2.4 GHz band is essentially unregulated. As long as the power is kept under a certain level (200 mW, IIRC), pretty much anyone can use 2.4 for anything, so interference is always an issue and can appear well after the network is set up because of some foreign wireless device that is placed in service by the client or a neighbor.

Or a person like me who has a license operate in that band as a primary user. I love firing up my 60cm 2.4GHz dish and blasting the neighbor with 15Watts. When I do that I am pretty much shutting down 802.11b/g cordless telephones, and baby monitors in the neighborhood. :D:D:D

But I am allowed to do that legally by the FCC.

One other, often overlooked, potential source of interference to IEEE 802.11bg wireless is Bluetooth.
Thousands of man hours being used up on this one currently 802, 3GPP, WiMAX, WiFI Alliance, etc all working together to sort this out. It is a huge deal right now!!

Scott,

I do not have a license for 2.4, but aren't you supposed to avoid "intentional interference"?

I have worked at FM stations, and recall fielding a ton of calls from neighbors whenever we "played" with the transmitter. And turning it up a "little" once, but that's another story.

~ Christopher

Scott,

I do not have a license for 2.4, but aren't you supposed to avoid "intentional interference"?
Intentional interference only applies to other licensees. The unlicensed services such as WiFi or Bluetooth are secondary services that must be willing to accept interference from licensed users. Interesting to note that they must cease operation if they are interfering with a licensed user. In other words I can legally request all my neighbors to shut down any 2.4GHz unlicensed device that they may be using. The reality is I don't do that. I just use my licensed operation and if it interferes with them too bad, thems the breaks. What is happening is a really growth of contention based protocols for the unlicensed operations to ease problems from licensed services that coexist in the band.

Or a person like me who has a license operate in that band as a primary user. I love firing up my 60cm 2.4GHz dish and blasting the neighbor with 15Watts. When I do that I am pretty much shutting down 802.11b/g cordless telephones, and baby monitors in the neighborhood. :D:D:D

But I am allowed to do that legally by the FCC.

I thought the only licensed communications uses of 2.4 were for Mobile Satellite and Wireless Video Surveillance. Are there others?

(I am really getting out of date with this RF stuff...)

Rich

Back