Wireless Access Bike

Carol said:
Wonder if it will fit in the Comanche

http://www.magicbike.net/about.html

Sure it'll fit, but turning on the electronics could be a problem. You need the permission of the Captain.

It only works as a hot spot if you have another way to the get the equipment online. You need a ground based hot spot nearby, or to have an expensive wireless link like EDO.

There are some well known stories like a guy in SF who brings an access point with him on his daily train commute so any other commuters within range can get on line through the Sprint wireless card in his laptop.

mikea said:
There are some well known stories like a guy in SF who brings an access point with him on his daily train commute so any other commuters within range can get on line through the Sprint wireless card in his laptop.

Seems like that would have a bit of a bandwidth problem.

lancefisher said:
Seems like that would have a bit of a bandwidth problem.

The EDO system can do 784Kbps down. The early adopters are seeing that. The problem is, like with cable, the bandwidth is shared. It's like a city wide wireless Ethernet. As more people get the modems, they'll see worse performance at peak times.

It's all statistical average though. I happened to notice that the DSL ATM switch at a certain company's CO gets fed on exactly one 100Base-T Ethernet port.

Last edited:
"or parked, these bikes become beacons for play and inquiry."

Bolt cutters, SNAP, GONE!

I'm guessing I'm missing the point of this thing beyond a novelty item or extreme rare situation. Supporting a remote community in today's constant reliability mode isn't likely. The technology is obviously useful but making it that mobile with limited range doesn't make a lot of sense. Most any event you could use one at would have 40+ SUV's parked within 200ft and probably connections and power plugs readily available.

Of couse there will have to be a label on the handlebars: "No web surfing while riding. Failure to heed and following all safety instructions may result serious bodily injury or death.

mikea said:
It's all statistical average though. I happened to notice that the DSL ATM switch at a certain company's CO gets fed on exactly one 100Base-T Ethernet port.

Wonder if that's the same company that had continuing problems with ports on a major router for residential DSL in my area.... it hasn't been a problem since I got blown off by the regular service folks and called the service contact for the corporate account and asked that it not be a problem again....

mikea said:
Sure it'll fit, but turning on the electronics could be a problem. You need the permission of the Captain....

HA! I was thinking only of fitting it in from a transport aspect. I'd give myself permission to operate it but I am not sure how I would do that and fly at the same time :dunno: :) Looks like that's a moot point anyway.

Back