Winter Haven Seaplane Crash

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
I drove to the airport (KGIF) this afternoon to fly for a while, and as I drove up to the gate I saw a gaggle of police cars, a firetruck, and an ambulance. Never a good sign. Turns out a light sport seaplane crashed on landing.

I drove over to the picnic tables where a few folks had gathered and one of the other pilots told me what happened. As he described it, the plane was landing on rwy 05 but the pilot stalled it well above the runway and it came down hard. One of the pontoons was knocked out of shape and the pilot couldn't control the plane on the ground. The plane ran into the grass and slowly did a forward flip, coming to rest upside down.

He said he went to the crash immediately and both people got out okay. No fire, but the plane appears totaled. I couldn't make out the tail number.

I haven't seen a news report yet, but if one pops up I'll post a link.

Last edited:
There was a fatal seaplane crash there 3 years ago the week before I headed there to do my tailwheel training. I didn't tell my wife about it. :confused:

There was a fatal seaplane crash there 3 years ago the week before I headed there to do my tailwheel training. I didn't tell my wife about it. :confused:

Also a seaplane crash in Jan of this year. Both people were in critical condition afterward. I never learned anything further.

N164ED?

Good to hear they made it.

Always wondered what would happen if a pontoon amphib botched a landing. Does not look like a fun place to be if you lose directional control. Like riding standing up in a shopping cart at 60mph.

On the bright side, the cockpit shows little deformation, so presumably the structure is sturdy. Happy they were unhurt, and happy it was not one of Jack Brown's airplanes.

Back