Winter engine start options when electricity is not available

I know they say preheat in the 20's but I use low 30's as a rule. My engine cowl is such that I place the duct from the red dragon under the engine to heat the oil sump. That with the oil pan heater powered by my portable 1500w generator makes for a toasty warm engine in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I use a Red Dragon and a 1500W generator to power my oil pan heater and a small heater inside the cabin..:).
We have an oil pan heater that we keep plugged in over night with a quilted cowl blanket. I'm curious do you ever use just the oil pan heaters without the red dragon? If so, how long do you run the generator to use the pan heater to get the pan temps up?

Adam if the temperature is in the mid to low teens I do just run the oil pan heater. Sunrise in January is about 9am. I'll run to the airport about 6am and hook up the pan heater. At 9am I return hook up the red dragon and warm the cylinders for 1/2 an hour or so when I pre flight.

I do get an indication on the oil temp gauge that the oil is warm and I can tell when I turn the engine over the oil is warm by how fast the engine rotates.

The other thing I do from time to time is hook up a battery charger for the last 1/2 hour. I have an external power plug, so it's very easy. I turn radios on to warm them , don't know if it helps that much just something I do.

Last edited:
attachment.php
Since oil pan heaters require electricity here's a good warm air heater to heat the cylinders while the pad heats the oil. I attached mine to my engine mount using adel clamps. Used it along with a 75w silicone pad heater on the sump for a few years, powered by a Yamaha 1000w generator. I still have it. Great little heaters. No tip switch so you can place it in any position. Small enough to fit through most access doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-260-0900-Little-Interior-Warmer/dp/B000NM73ZA

Last edited:
Here's the one I removed. It works well but not as well as a Reiff system. I'd always rather have electric heat than open flame heat. My Red Dragon caught my Cessna on fire so I'm biased.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 16
The Honda 1000 watt generator is the one to get. It is quiet and they sip gas. Its worth the extra money over the cheap Harbor Freight ones.

Back