Winslow, Arizona?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Where is Winslow? My flight instructor called me this morning. That's where he and bride and my bird had landed. They had flown over the Grand Canyon.

On the flight West he coaxed 120mph out of the Skyhawk, noting that over hills and through the passes they were flying at 10,000+ msl; though more often at 4500 msl. He also said he got ripped off at one refueling stop. The lineman said he had pumped 46.3 gal. Greg told him that was not possible, capacity being 42 gal. with 38 gal. usable. "Oh, yes; 46.3. See, it's right there on the fuel pump meter." One would think the meter is slightly off calibration, eh?
I wonder if that's an ongoing ruse?

HR

"Standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine sight to see,
It's a girl my Lord in a flat bed Ford...."

Winslow is east of Flagstaff, off of I-40. The airport is on the south side of the highway. Great fuel stop, been in there a number of times.

Where is Winslow? My flight instructor called me this morning. That's where he and bride and my bird had landed. They had flown over the Grand Canyon.

Where is Winslow?
Arizona.

I once stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona. There was this such a fine sight to see while I was there. It’s was a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford and she was slowin’ down to take a look at me. :D:D

Seriously it is east of Flagstaff on I-40

On the flight West he coaxed 120mph out of the Skyhawk, noting that over hills and through the passes they were flying at 10,000+ msl; though more often at 4500 msl. He also said he got ripped off at one refueling stop. The lineman said he had pumped 46.3 gal. Greg told him that was not possible, capacity being 42 gal. with 38 gal. usable. "Oh, yes; 46.3. See, it's right there on the fuel pump meter." One would think the meter is slightly off calibration, eh?
I wonder if that's an ongoing ruse?

HR

The lineman probably didn't reset the meter before he pumped the dinojuice... :dunno:

Winslow is out in the middle of nowhere, about 60 miles east of Flagstaff on I-40. It's pretty close to Meteor Crater if you know where that is. It's a rather historic airport, it was used by TWA with their Tri-Motor service back in the early days as a stop over on their coast to coast flights.

"I went from Winslow, Arizona all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA ..."

oops, sorry ... that one's Phoenix, not Winslow ...

I actually did stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ once. A girl in a Toyota pick-up slowed down, but not so much just to look at me, but because corners are where they put stop signs. She was okay, but I wouldn't say she was a "fine sight".
-harry

Winslow was originally a railroad town, and has a hotel called La Posada that is renovated over the last few years to restore the old glory of a railroad destination hotel. It is fabulous if you like that sort of thing:

http://www.laposada.org/

Airport is interesting, often you will find no one in the main terminal lobby, but there is (or was the times I was there) a restaurant attached to the terminal building. Older building, Southwestern style. Not much traffic at the airport, I think I've seen a few planes on the ramp, including some small courier/freighters.

Best to plan on the self-serve fuel.

Interesting place, but very quiet.

Here is what it looked like about two years ago when I was there.

Attachments

• 100_0171.JPG
    100_0171.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 29
My ex-brother-in-law moved there after retirement. Now, he's in the sticks southwest of Winslow.

The fuel issue brings back a memory from around twelve. I was with my mom and a sister-in-law at the time along with her kids. Looking back, I think it's odd for a Lincoln Towncar to have two busted shocks and for the other two to be recommended for replacement as well. I don't ever recall I-40 being all that rough of a ride.

But, I'm sure he was an honest service station owner!

Here is what it looked like about two years ago when I was there.
Still does 'cept they got the doors open. :rolleyes:

Actually, the FBO had nothing for sale but severely overpriced 100LL. He had the bright idea to remove all retail stock during construction. Someday it might be a nice FBO. The lineman told me the construction had been going on for a long time.

Still does 'cept they got the doors open. :rolleyes:

Actually, the FBO had nothing for sale but severely overpriced 100LL. He had the bright idea to remove all retail stock during construction. Someday it might be a nice FBO. The lineman told me the construction had been going on for a long time.

WOW there was a lineman there???
I honestly thought the place was totally deserted, especially since they needed to mow the weeds down on their PAVED runway.

WOW there was a lineman there???
I honestly thought the place was totally deserted, especially since they needed to mow the weeds down on their PAVED runway.
Don't fret. I mowed them.:rolleyes:

When I was there, there was not only a lineman but a half dozen guys standing in the open hanger. An EMS twin came in right behind me and some of the guys rushed over to meet the plane. The guys vanished after the quick turn.

The lineman chocked the nose and then our conversation went like this:

Lineman: Top off?

Me: How much $$?

Lineman: Five....

Me: Stop right there!

Lineman: Need anything else?

Me: The left main looks a little low.

Lineman: Sorry, no air.

Me: Charts?

Lineman: Nope.

Me: AF/D?

Me: Bottled water?

Me: Anything to eat?

Me: I gotta' go, you have a bathroom?

Lineman: (beaming) We sure do!

Me: Sold!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Henley helped write the song as well. (another possibly incorrect tidbit: "It's a girl my lord in a flat-bed Ford" was the first lyrics written by Henley with Frey and Browne....IOW, as an Eagle)

Edit: Bah! I was wrong. Frey wrote that instead of Henley...

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Henley helped write the song as well. (another possibly incorrect tidbit: "It's a girl my lord in a flat-bed Ford" was the first lyrics written by Henley with Frey and Browne....IOW, as an Eagle)

Edit: Bah! I was wrong. Frey wrote that instead of Henley...

And how often do you have these arguments with yourself :dunno::D

Back