WingX Pro 7...Tips / ShortCuts / ideas?

capg2000

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Capt. Gary
Hey,
I am a hateful convert... I love my Nexus7 (still a droid guy)), but have had enuf of GarminPilot for Droids.
I bought a MiniiPad (i do not like "i-anything") & have WingX loaded. So far, I'm seeing that this is a well thought out program with more feathure to come. Radar weather...soon? I also looked at FF, but feel that it's geared up to IFR mor than VFR.
Any guidance is appreciated. Lets start to folow the problems / trends here.
Capt Gary

Gary - I'm going through the same angst with these apps. I have Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight both loaded (Pilot on the iPad 2 and Nexus 7 and ForeFlight on the iPad 2 and iPhone 5). I tried WingX and didn't like the interface. It seems everyone of these apps IMHO just misses the mark. I like the features in ForeFlight (extended runway lines, great zoom in and the route planning) but the GUI for me anyways, is not thought out well. Pilot has nice features like departure/destination chart binders, extended TFR info (for stadiums) and for me an easier to navigate GUI. But Pilot stinks on the Nexus and neither show preferred routing. You need to put in your departure and destination and load up the airways, waypoints etc.

My FF sub runs out this week and I am debating about renewing it. The only thing that may change that is the stuff Aspen is doing with their new ADSB stuff. It looks like you will be able to port over information to the iPad from the panel mounted stuff.

I'm in a wait and see mode. Things will shake out in the next year or so.

The first place to start is the WingX channel on YouTube to see the instructional videos they have.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...8j2.20.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.g3D4OBKQbVQ

Don't hate the program because the interface is not the snazziest.

Mick is right on about watching the videos and learning more about how to get WingX to do its best for you.

Until recently, I wasn't using WX at all, but now, in flight, it's my app of choice. The power of the program is very subtle, but what you want. The ability to split screen, show and hide key panels of info, small bubbles showing where you will be in 5, 10, 15 minutes, and the descent rate suggestion updating as you get closer to the destination are all on my favorite feature list.

The planning function isn't as good as FF, but I beleive that section will get some love soon.

We airmen do benefit from both companies. Both Hilton and Tyson really listen to their userbase and incorporate the top suggestions as soon as they can code them. And their support teams are really good. Plus each continues to add features that they other doesn't have...yet.

The videos explain a lot that isn't obvious when you plunk around on your own. So if you haven't tried WX while in flight yet... what are you waiting on?

Hi Guys,
I have not seen the descent rate info come up. Is there any settings I didn't do? I did a 1 hr ride to the Bahamas last week at 7.5 & never saw descent rate info. Also what about the location info on the bottom R corner? I do see airspace info, if I am in controlled space.
Thanks for the direction! Tis is how we stay safer & informed!
How did I ever navigate with an ADF & 2 VOR'S???
CaptGary

I haven't had a chance to fly with it yet, but I just purchased an ipad mini, WingX and an iLevil and look forward to trying it out in the cockpit. I'd also like to purchase a SkyguardTWX, in order to solidify traffic warnings; seems like a very powerful setup.

Sent from my mobile device.

Last edited:
I used the trial version on my last two flights and I'm very impressed! I like it alot (I'm VFR only). Never tried Foreflight.

I like the split screen option and the ability to display the airport diagram as I approched my destination. It's cool using the notepad on the split screen too.
I copied the ATIS using my finger (left the pen in my pocket).

This was the first time I kept all paper in my flight bag.

I think I'm going to jump on this now!

WingX offer... mine is set to expire this weekend so the timing is good :)

Hilton is running a special thru Sunday, new or renew your sub and get SV for 1 year.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

You need to purchase a new WingX Pro7 subscription between now and Sunday (June 2, 2013) - this includes new users or a WingX Pro7 subscription renewal, and includes the three-year subscription; i.e. the $99/yr or $199/3yr subscriptions. Note: If you renew your subscription before your current subscription has expired, the new subscription is added to the end of your current subscription; i.e. you do not 'lose time' because of overlap.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I have not seen the descent rate info come up. Is there any settings I didn't do? I did a 1 hr ride to the Bahamas last week at 7.5 & never saw descent rate info. Also what about the location info on the bottom R corner? I do see airspace info, if I am in controlled space.
CaptGary
The location information is displayed in the gray box displayed at the bottom LEFT corner of your map screen. Touch the gray box to cycle it through the GPS accuracy/GPS + Location Info/GPS + Location + Lat Long.

I don't remember a specific setting to turn on/off descent rate. It may be tied to the 'Waypoint Summary' display settings. I have next and final waypoints selected and when I get near my destination airport, a small yellow box pops up below the waypoint information with the distance and descent rate to my destination airport. I love this feature and use it every flight. WingX is loaded with a lot of neat features like this.

Last edited:
Quick question on WingX. I reloaded a trial version because I see they have added a bunch of things. The flight planning section still is soft. I used the WebPlan to have it select a route (IFR) and it picked something I would never select PLUS even though I said pick airways, it did a point to point plan.

Anyone have success using the route planning so that it actually works. In ForeFlight, it will show you a preferred route. Garmin will give you a straight route but you can use the map to load waypoints and then insert airways. WingX doesn't show a map unless you go to the Map page and see it there. Am I missing something?

Not sure about the IFR planning... I'm VFR...

One thing I did get the chance to do & I can highly recomend to anyone using ANY EFB, is to take their Nexus/iPad on the next commerical flight they do. I flew KFLL to KCLT tis weekend & used it on the flights.
The #'s all come up & you can work the pages / app to set up different scenarios while they do the driving. All showing 430kts! at 36000'
Give it a try!
CaptGary

Not sure about the IFR planning... I'm VFR...

One thing I did get the chance to do & I can highly recomend to anyone using ANY EFB, is to take their Nexus/iPad on the next commerical flight they do. I flew KFLL to KCLT tis weekend & used it on the flights.
The #'s all come up & you can work the pages / app to set up different scenarios while they do the driving. All showing 430kts! at 36000'
Give it a try!
CaptGary

Thanks for replying. I have played around with it a bit more and the route planning does use the "WebPlan" feature but I have no idea how it comes up with some of the routes it does. Sending me to waypoints off of an airway makes no sense. And the fact there is no graphical editing of the route makes it an all text adventure to edit routes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe... it wants you to see the country...?
Not sure what you are doing, so I cant suggest... Im off to Wyoming/Montana this week, commerical:(
but will be "following the flight on WingX. 1 think I noted is that the iPod mini gets good gps reception in the cabin of an airliner.

Thanks for replying. I have played around with it a bit more and the route planning does use the "WebPlan" feature but I have no idea how it comes up with some of the routes it does. Sending me to waypoints off of an airway makes no sense. And the fact there is no graphical editing of the route makes it an all text adventure to edit routes.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Regarding the WingX route planning (I haven't used the web planner): When you have the map displayed you can add, edit, and remove airfield and VOR points along your route by tapping on them. No need to type names of anything. Arbitrary waypoints in space can be added by pressing and holding at the desired map location. If you want to add, say, a named intersection just by tapping on it then I believe you'll need to switch to displaying the "IFR enroute - low" map. When the sectional chart is being displayed you can also add named intersections by clicking on the blue "Route" button in the lower left. Only in that case will you need to type the name of the waypoint.

Hilton Software has a bunch of videos on Youtube that should demonstrate many of these features.

Thanks for the replies. I'm running into a bunch of issues and am having a hard time figuring out if it is the app, my iPad or me. I downloaded the trialware version on 6/23 and have not been able to get it to work correctly. I thought it might have been a memory issue and offloaded a bunch of stuff from my iPad so room is not an issue.

I also re-installed it and it is still not working correctly. Here are some of the things I am seeing:

Maps just disappear! I have CONUS downloaded. Why would my maps go away?

e3uveqe2.jpg

And then leaving the app and going back in having it reappear?

y2yga3at.jpg

When I download the databases I get some strange stuff. Anyone seen this before?

ta2eze8u.jpg

The "pending" becomes "timeouts".

u5ygujeb.jpg

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I had the "pending" issue with the trial version AND when I had low memory/space. I've since upgraded to the full version and deleted a lot of junk from my iPad. Works great now.

Oh, one other thing... Don't switch to another task while the databases are downloading, that will cause a timeout also.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I had the "pending" issue with the trial version AND when I had low memory/space. I've since upgraded to the full version and deleted a lot of junk from my iPad. Works great now.

Oh, one other thing... Don't switch to another task while the databases are downloading, that will cause a timeout also.

Thanks redtail! I will give it another try this evening. If I do not have a GPS attached (mine is a WiFi only iPad), will it work? I am currently using a XGPS150.

No Gps might be the issue there, but I have a similar issue which they have not fixed yet.

When you see the blank maps try hitting the Go to current location button in the lower right. It brings the map up then for me but I have to do this every time I start WingX.

I really like it a lot but regarding the radar map showing up as a layer we have been waiting a long time for this and they still have not implemented this. All the other solutions have it including the new EFB from AOPA (FlyQ). Seems simple enough to implement I am unclear why it is taking this long.

One thing I think is missing from WingX in general is more in the support and marketing department. The videos are great, but Hilton in my opinion needs to be more vocal about what is coming in the future with at least a timeline.

Jeff

Marauder: Be sure to watch the YouTube videos. They did the trick for me to explain how to work the various buttons and features.

No Gps might be the issue there, but I have a similar issue which they have not fixed yet.

When you see the blank maps try hitting the Go to current location button in the lower right. It brings the map up then for me but I have to do this every time I start WingX.

I really like it a lot but regarding the radar map showing up as a layer we have been waiting a long time for this and they still have not implemented this. All the other solutions have it including the new EFB from AOPA (FlyQ). Seems simple enough to implement I am unclear why it is taking this long.

One thing I think is missing from WingX in general is more in the support and marketing department. The videos are great, but Hilton in my opinion needs to be more vocal about what is coming in the future with at least a timeline.

Jeff

I have tried the locate me button to no avail. I think the current problem is database related. I am hoping that it is not something weird going on with my work WiFi and/or some restrictions they are placing on downloads. Or it could be the trialware itself and restrictions it might have on it.

I do think this should be easier.

Marauder: Be sure to watch the YouTube videos. They did the trick for me to explain how to work the various buttons and features.

Hi Mike -- yep, have gone through most of them. Would be great if I could get it to work and try out all of those features...

Thanks redtail! I will give it another try this evening. If I do not have a GPS attached (mine is a WiFi only iPad), will it work? I am currently using a XGPS150.

I'm using a iPad 2 (3G). No external GPS attached. Works great but I do notice occasional issues if I have wifi or 3G enabled. When I fly, I make sure they're both turned off.

I've never encountered your slow map problem - with or without a GPS.

How much memory do you have available under Settings -> General -> Usage?

My copy of WingX Pro7 is using 2.9 GB.

If yours is using much less (or more?) then perhaps one of the map databases is incomplete or corrupt? If you can get it to complete the database loads that might rule that possibility in or out.

Lastly, WingX Pro7 has its own entry in the system Settings dialog. One of the things you can try turning on is the one marked "Start Moving Map in Safe Mode". Never tried it myself, though....

I've never encountered your slow map problem - with or without a GPS.

How much memory do you have available under Settings -> General -> Usage?

My copy of WingX Pro7 is using 2.9 GB.

If yours is using much less (or more?) then perhaps one of the map databases is incomplete or corrupt? If you can get it to complete the database loads that might rule that possibility in or out.

Lastly, WingX Pro7 has its own entry in the system Settings dialog. One of the things you can try turning on is the one marked "Start Moving Map in Safe Mode". Never tried it myself, though....

Good point about the possible corrupt database. I forgot to mention that my first download had a problem with the sectionals. As you zoom in, the detail would look horrible. I deleted the entire program and reinstalled it and that solved the problem. Just remember to write down your log in info! I had to contact Hilton to get mine:redface:.

..and my other issue was, I was still using iOS 5. Had to upgrade iPad to the current iOS.

Last edited:
I think the first issue I had was indeed a database problem. I was able to get a clean copy loaded after completely uninstalling the app and rebooting the iPad. Although I had 4 Gb free, I cleaned out a bunch of old apps and have a bunch more space.

I still am running into issues with the GPS being disconnected periodically and the gray screens coming up. I can get them back by tapping the "show above" button.

I will keep working with it to see if I can get it stable. Certainly has a lot of features in it, but is not as intuitive as FF or Garmin Pilot.

I think the first issue I had was indeed a database problem. I was able to get a clean copy loaded after completely uninstalling the app and rebooting the iPad. Although I had 4 Gb free, I cleaned out a bunch of old apps and have a bunch more space.

I still am running into issues with the GPS being disconnected periodically and the gray screens coming up. I can get them back by tapping the "show above" button.

I will keep working with it to see if I can get it stable. Certainly has a lot of features in it, but is not as intuitive as FF or Garmin Pilot.

I only have that issue indoors (sometimes). Never while in flight. Have you tried it in the air yet?

Ok I just conducted an experiment here at work.

I killed all background apps, rebooted my iphone and started Wing X.

Got the NO GPS message (with wifi or 3G on, it alternates between NO GPS and GPS OK) and the gray screen.

When I walked over to the window, I and got a solid GPS signal and chart.

Ok I just conducted an experiment here at work.

I killed all background apps, rebooted my iphone and started Wing X.

Got the NO GPS message (with wifi or 3G on, it alternates between NO GPS and GPS OK) and the gray screen.

When I walked over to the window, I and got a solid GPS signal and chart.

Thanks for the experimentation! That is exactly what I am seeing. I can get it back when I hit the "show above" button. I would think you would want it there all the time so people can flight plan without the GPS on.

Thanks for the experimentation! That is exactly what I am seeing. I can get it back when I hit the "show above" button. I would think you would want it there all the time so people can flight plan without the GPS on.

Yeah something is definitely screwy:confused:

I just did another experiment. I turned on airplane mode (which disables GPS) and as you noted, it will not show the map. I hit the "show above" button and that didn't work either.

Then I entered a flightplan in the "route" screen. Still nothing. Then I selected one of the waypoints in my flightplan and hit "show above". Now it shows the entire route on the sectional.

Maybe I'll contact Hilton, but I'm almost sure they must know about this issue by now.

Yeah something is definitely screwy:confused:

I just did another experiment. I turned on airplane mode (which disables GPS) and as you noted, it will not show the map. I hit the "show above" button and that didn't work either.

Then I entered a flightplan in the "route" screen. Still nothing. Then I selected one of the waypoints in my flightplan and hit "show above". Now it shows the entire route on the sectional.

Maybe I'll contact Hilton, but I'm almost sure they must know about this issue by now.

Some additional information. I found out if I wait for about 15 seconds, the map does appear. I think it is using the GPS or WiFi signal to try to pinpoint your location before showing the map. I think that is stupid, it should be "show the map" and then show me on it. Otherwise , you are waiting for the map to show before you can use it. They need to think more like pilots. Plan then fly...

Some additional information. I found out if I wait for about 15 seconds, the map does appear. I think it is using the GPS or WiFi signal to try to pinpoint your location before showing the map. I think that is stupid, it should be "show the map" and then show me on it. Otherwise , you are waiting for the map to show before you can use it. They need to think more like pilots. Plan then fly...

Unfortunately I've been unable to replicate the problem you are seeing. I've shut off the Wifi, no GPS, turned off location services (under Settings -> Privacy) and the map still shows up with no appreciable delay (less than a second.) Even after shutting the iPad off to avoid any possible temporary caching of position.

Under WingX "Databases & Subscriptions" my "Status" shows App Version 6.9.3.1. iOS is 6.1.3. I'm using an iPad 2.

Unfortunately I've been unable to replicate the problem you are seeing. I've shut off the Wifi, no GPS, turned off location services (under Settings -> Privacy) and the map still shows up with no appreciable delay (less than a second.) Even after shutting the iPad off to avoid any possible temporary caching of position.

Under WingX "Databases & Subscriptions" my "Status" shows App Version 6.9.3.1. iOS is 6.1.3. I'm using an iPad 2.

I just setup the same scenario and I'm running the same version WingX & iOS on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S(8.2GB available).

The map never showed up. The only way I can get it to appear is, open the search window and input/select an airport, VOR or waypoint.

Strange:confused:

I'm using the same hardware and app version you are. I will try to shut off everything like you did and see what happens. With location services on, that may be the trigger. Waiting to see where you are before it shows the map.

It is with the stuff on, like you would normally use it is when it takes a while to show the map.

I just setup the same scenario and I'm running the same version WingX & iOS on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S(8.2GB available).

The map never showed up. The only way I can get it to appear is, open the search window and input/select an airport, VOR or waypoint.

Strange:confused:

Well, I'm not quite where you're at. Are your services on? Location, WiFi when you tried this?

No, I turned everything off in order to replicate Jim's settings. He got the map to appear, mine wouldn't.

Just completed his steps as well. No matter what I do, it does not show up either UNLESS I go to the route section and hit the "show above" button. Then the map appears without me on it.

This all changes when the GPS is on and connected. Does your iPad or Jim's have a built in GPS? Mine doesn't. When I pair the XGPS150, it does behave differently. The map shows up by after a 15 second delay. Strange indeed...

Just completed his steps as well. No matter what I do, it does not show up either UNLESS I go to the route section and hit the "show above" button. Then the map appears without me on it.

This all changes when the GPS is on and connected. Does your iPad or Jim's have a built in GPS? Mine doesn't. When I pair the XGPS150, it does behave differently. The map shows up by after a 15 second delay. Strange indeed...

Yes, the iPad 2 has a built in GPS. As you said before, it shouldn't have to have a GPS signal to use the map. Guess we'll have to use the work around until they fix this.

Yes, the iPad 2 has a built in GPS. As you said before, it shouldn't have to have a GPS signal to use the map. Guess we'll have to use the work around until they fix this.

What's interesting is some don't have this problem. Jim says he gets the map immediately. I am running the same combination of hardware and software he is. Maybe I will call Hilton and see what they say.

What's interesting is some don't have this problem. Jim says he gets the map immediately. I am running the same combination of hardware and software he is. Maybe I will call Hilton and see what they say.

It definitely does sound like some odd bug - contacting Hilton would seem a good idea.

For what it is worth, I just installed the WingX trial version onto an iPhone 4S and with no charts downloaded got blank maps - which is to be expected. Then I downloaded the databases. The sectional map displays promptly when switching to moving maps and selecting VFR Sectional from the View button. However, the iPhone has GPS, Wifi, and cell tower coverage - all of which can be used to provide location. Even with location services turned off and no routes, the sectional map displayed promptly when I switch from menu to map mode (with it centering at Oshkosh.)

I've had WingX on my iPad 2 for over a year now (I do not have GPS on my iPad either - like Marauder I use a Bluetooth connected Dual XGPS150.)

Back