capg2000

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Capt. Gary
See if any-1 has some ideas/ direction.
Here is my "set-up."
iPadMini, running iOS 8.4, WingX (newest version). & using a Dual XGPS170
The XGPS-170 gets Wass GPS satelites just fine, but receives only 1 ads-b antenna, If That... Most of the time it gets None & ADS-B flashes orange. All aps are up to date, as is the iPad.
I am based in S. Florida & have 7 or more ADS-B antennas in the area....I need my weather / Radar !!!
Ideas / thoughts?
Capt. Gary
N3490R
KFXE

See if any-1 has some ideas/ direction.
Here is my "set-up."
iPadMini, running iOS 8.4, WingX (newest version). & using a Dual XGPS170
The XGPS-170 gets Wass GPS satelites just fine, but receives only 1 ads-b antenna, If That... Most of the time it gets None & ADS-B flashes orange. All aps are up to date, as is the iPad.
I am based in S. Florida & have 7 or more ADS-B antennas in the area....I need my weather / Radar !!!
Ideas / thoughts?
Capt. Gary
N3490R
KFXE

Did you get the XGPS-170 from Banyan? Try exchanging it? It may be bad.

No, Actually bought it as a "Demo" unit, from Hilton Software. about 2 1/2 yrs ago...

If any-1 cares, Just a follow up... I spoke with Dual & they admitted to having antenna issues with the XGPS170's
They sent me a new antenna, free. I now PU 1-2 ads-b antennas on
the ground, with traffic & weather. The issue was in the antenna...
Any-1 with a Xgps 170 is suggested to contact them to get a replacement:)

If any-1 cares, Just a follow up... I spoke with Dual & they admitted to having antenna issues with the XGPS170's
They sent me a new antenna, free. I now PU 1-2 ads-b antennas on
the ground, with traffic & weather. The issue was in the antenna...
Any-1 with a Xgps 170 is suggested to contact them to get a replacement:)

What serial#'s/manufacture/ship dates were the issues on the XGPS170s?

I just picked one up this month, but haven't been able to do a 'real' flight with it in the plane yet. (Just local stuff, and doing other things besides trying to see if the ADS-B in was working well)

HI Ed,
If yours has a FLAT type antenna, then you are OK. I had one with a full round antenna, with a red stripe on top. That was the issue. ine is in the plane now, so no #'s available. Leaving for the Bahamas in the AM...:) :D
Hope this helps.
They (tech support), also said not to store the unit with the antenna on... Sounds strange to me, to be R & R-ing the antenna all the time...
CaptGary

Final follow up to all follow-ups...
Flew 3.0 hrs. round trip KFXE to MYAM (Marsh Harbour, Bahamas)
On the way out, I flew across at 7500' I had 7-8 antennas on ADB-S. with all weather. It held at least 1 antenna, all the way to decent into Marsh Harbour, at 145 miles out, of the coast of the USA!
Return flight was Monday, 8/3 with same / similar results.
To say that the antenna replacement was the answer is an understatement.
Get a new flat antenna if you are using a Dual XGPS-170
The End...

Sounds good, too bad there are so few planes to rent down here that they let go to the Bahamas anymore, I'd like to see how well the GDL-39 works over there. :(

Gary, I just sent an email off to them... How much did they charge you for the flat antenna?

HI John,
I spoke with Customer Svc. & they sent one out for free.
I am up & working 100%. Totally happy !!! ADS-B is it!
Gary

Back