Wingtip ADS-B

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Here are questions probably answered a few aeons ago but I have not been paying attention, so:

Is there any problem with the strobe discharge causing rf interference with the adsb device?

I am not familiar with the wiring of most strobes, is there a lo V power supply to each strobe which is used for the adsb device? Or maybe they are all using the 12/24v nav light power supply.

I assume you're talking about the Skybeacon. On my install, they jumpered the high tension strobe wire coming my wing to the supply from the strobe switch in the panel, bypassing the high voltage strobe power supply for that wing. So the Skybeacon strobe flashes when the switch in the panel is turned on. It is very important to NOT send the high voltage strobe feed from your power supply to the skybeacon. The skybeacon gets its power from the nav light circuit (meaning you must have your nav lights turned on for the ADS-B to function). It's got a third wire (ground, nav power, strobe power) that can be connected to power the strobe separately.

Generally speaking, you'd expect the wing tip to be wired with a 12/24v supply for the nav light, with a second, high tension/high voltage wire for the strobe (fed from a standalone high voltage power supply).

Some strobes have a single power supply in each wingtip for the strobe. In that case you would remove the power supply and use the buss voltage that powered it to power the SkyBeacon.

some strobes have a power supply in the fuselage that powers 2 or 3 strobes. In this case you would unplug the wire going to the SkyBeacon wing and use one of the wires (the red makes most sense), and power it on the buss voltage side of the power supply and use that wire in the wingtip to power the strobe side of the SkyBeacon.

The Nav light power in the wingtip is buss voltage, so it would power the Nav side of the SkyBeacon as well as the ADS-B device. Nave would always need to be on, but not strobes necessarily.

Back