Wings & Wheels at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
Apparently, the thread I had been moving has been removed, so here's a new one.

This Saturday, June 21, 2008 at William P. Hobby Airport, The 1940 Air Terminal Museum is hosting a New Aircraft Exposition. Thus far, we only have confirmations that Piper and Allegro will be there, but there's also a good chance that Cessna and Beechcraft will be as well. As an added treat, the AOPA Catch-A-Cardinal winner from last year might be flying in if the weather is good, so this would be a good way for you to check out that plane. The event runs from 10:00a - 5:00p, and we waive the admission fee for fly-in visitors - so fly in and we'll give you a free lunch!

Upcoming events:

Saturday, July 19, 2008 - Raffle Day! This is the day we will be giving away the beautiful 1947 Cessna 140 that we've been selling tickets for over the past year (though the winner may have to arm wrestle Spike for it). To date, we only have about 850 tickets sold, and we're expecting that there will only be around 1000 sold at the time of the give-away. So, the odds are good, why not buy a ticket? You can PM me for details. To commemorate the event, we will be inviting all of the area Cessna 120's and 140's to fly-in. Also, we will be unveiling next year's raffle airplane.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 - Vietnam Heritage Day! Join us this day as we have a variety of Vietnam-era aircraft on the ramp, including a UH-1 "Huey" Helicopter and a C-47 "Spooky" Cargo Plane (aka... a Douglas DC-3) and more! All fly-in visitors and Vietnam veterans will receive free admission.

Feel free to PM me or reply here for details on any of these events.

STOP IT!!!

:D

I've been trying to keep that 140 out of my mind... can't stop thinking I might have the "golden ticket" (cue song from Willy Wonka).

850 sold, you say? My ticket is number is higher than that, and i got it weeks ago. or does the series not start with "1" ?

I may have to buy another ticket, although I keep getting this feeling that it will be bad juju to have two, odds notwithstanding.I need that plane. This is an emergency. :D

Wish I could be out there for the Expo, raffle or no... looks like a good time.

Last edited:
Sean, don't worry about the ticket number. Different volunteers were given different series of tickets to sell, but not all have been sold. I am in possession of tickets #1413-1420 to sell. But rest assured, only about 850 now have actually been sold.

Of course... you could double your chances... ;) :D

So PJ, after I have won, are you gonna fly it here for me?

I wish... no TW endorsement and don't have the requisite # of hrs in type for insurance. Besides...

From the back of your ticket
The airplane will be delivered to the winner at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Houston's Hobby Airport at the next Wings & Wheels open house following the winner's acceptance of the plane.

But I will be glad to accept a ride in it or the Bo when you come down to claim it and get your TW endorsement ;).

Is this museum open during the week?

Sean, don't worry about the ticket number. Different volunteers were given different series of tickets to sell, but not all have been sold. I am in possession of tickets #1413-1420 to sell. But rest assured, only about 850 now have actually been sold.

Of course... you could double your chances... ;) :D

I'm still on the fence about that; a little voice keeps telling me "don't". Something about the fact that my first ticket purchase, with a check, didn't work (it got deposited at the wrong bank or something; cam back to me). Very odd.
When I called again to order another one with a CC, I just got this feeling that I'd jinx it if I got yet another. Stupid, I know... but gambling isn't about smart, is it? :D

I may need to make a more educated decision about this today... you know, something scientific like flipping a coin. :rolleyes:

I'm still on the fence about that; a little voice keeps telling me "don't". Something about the fact that my first ticket purchase, with a check, didn't work (it got deposited at the wrong bank or something; cam back to me). Very odd.
When I called again to order another one with a CC, I just got this feeling that I'd jinx it if I got yet another. Stupid, I know... but gambling isn't about smart, is it? :D

I may need to make a more educated decision about this today... you know, something scientific like flipping a coin. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... wierd about the check... sorry for the hassle about that. But think about this... maybe you're jinxing it by only having one... ;)

Tues - Sat: 10a-5p
Sun: 1p-5p
Closed Mon

Do you have a trip to Hobby planned soon? You'll have to be sure to let Ric and I know!
I'm thinking maybe Thurs-Fri of next week. I'm beginning to think that KHOU is going to be a relatively frequent destination for me in the new scheme of things.

Well, if you want to visit the Museum, Million Air would be the best FBO for you to park at (if you have any say in the matter). They are right down the ramp from us, and will probably drive you to the museum if you ask them to.

If you're here in the evening or if you RON, I can probably be available for dinner/drinks/hanging out, but it's more difficult for me if you're just here during the day on a week day. However, Ric lives much closer to HOU, so I'm sure he'd be willing to meet up for lunch (sorry if I'm speaking for you Ric).

I don't have any say in the FBO but we have recently been going to MillionAir. I have actually met Ric a couple times for lunch and he pointed out the museum but I forgot to ask if it was open during the week. This next trip looks like an overnight but you never know about these things until they happen. Hope to be able to meet up at some point!

Lunch? (ears perking up!) Did somebody say LUNCH???

With Mari, no less? I'M THERE!

Actually, Mari and I have had lunch at Pappa's BBQ on Monroe at I-45 a couple of times. She just loves a good rib sandwich!

Next time she's in the area, we'll have to make the announcement- -"Any fellow PoA'ers in the pattern, please advise..." ;)

Will try to get over on Sat, PJ! Have you talked to Gulf Coast Aviation (at Atlantic)? They have a brand new KingAir 350 and a brand new Westwind II (1124). Maybe if they are not out on trips.....

Very cool... I'll PM you my cell # Mari, give me a call when you're in town and I'll see if I can get over there.

Ric - I did not know that there was anyone selling out of Atlantic. But alas, with only two days left, I don't feel comfortable calling them at the last minute like this.

Thread bump... in two days' time we'll be giving away the Cessna 140 that Spike hopes will be his. Ticket sales end at noon CDT tomorrow, so there's still an opportunity to buy yours! We're only at about 1200, so odds are still decent that you could win. The drawing itself will take place at 1pm on Saturday, during the event, and the new raffle plane will be unveiled at approximately 11am, so it's a good one to come in to!

Remember, fly-in visitors get free admission! Hope to see you there!

With 1.5 hours left I just bought my 1 ticket.
I must apologize in advance because Im sure it is the winning ticket :D
Then the problem is how to get it home only 948 nautical miles. With no tail wheel endorsement and 1.1 total tail wheel experience.

ill be happy to deliver the 140 to whoever wins it.

Well Tony, unfortunately your services weren't needed. We had a great event at the museum today, IMO the best ever. We set a record with the number of planes there at nearly 20 on and off our ramp that day. The winner was Joe Montavo, of Pearland, TX... about 4 miles from Hobby Airport. He was not present at the event, but we had my cell phone connected to the sound system and called him in front of the crowd. He was at the airport less than an hour later checking out his new plane.

Speaking of new planes, we unveiled the new raffle plane today as well, and tickets are now on sale. It is a 1957 Cessna 172! It features an IFR Panel, Garmin GNS300 GPS, and STOL kit, and is one beautiful bird!

Attachments

• N7433A.jpg
    N7433A.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 12
Glad to here the event went good.
But the person on the phone assured me I had the lucky ticket :D
Congratulations to Joe Im sure he will love his new plane.

Glad to here the event went good.
But the person on the phone assured me I had the lucky ticket :D
Congratulations to Joe Im sure he will love his new plane.

Well shucks, I guess I was confused. I though I had the winning ticket, but it was actually a lucky ticket. Well, considering that buying it supported one of the coolest aviation museums I have seen, one which deserves to grow and flourish, I guess it was a "lucky ticket," and I consider it a privilege to have supported the cause.

Hmmm.... a straight-tail 172? Sounds nice... :yes:

Well shucks, I guess I was confused. I though I had the winning ticket, but it was actually a lucky ticket. Well, considering that buying it supported one of the coolest aviation museums I have seen, one which deserves to grow and flourish, I guess it was a "lucky ticket," and I consider it a privilege to have supported the cause.

Hmmm.... a straight-tail 172? Sounds nice... :yes:
AND it's a plane that could actually take both Leslie and me simultaneously! That's actually why I didn't buy the ticket I'd planned on for the 140. What if I won? The end of my marriage!:blowingkisses::D

I tell you... that 172 is a gorgeous bird. During the unveiling, we arranged for it and the 140 to do a couple of low passes in front of the museum, and that was one of the prettiest sights I've ever seen.

If you guys want tickets for the 172, you may have to call in quickly (starting tomorrow, museum is closed today) after this article:

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1167-full.html#198341

Look like I will be making another donation. I will call it a donation this time because I never win anything.
It is a donation to a good cause plus I might just win a good looking plane.

Just when I planned to depart HOU last Friday, Bush's arrival put a TFR over Hobby. This turned out to be good because I was able to use the time to check out the museum.

It was great. I love aviation history. Seeing an approach plate for a Fan Marker approach...what can I say?

The old art deco terminal in which the museum is located is beautiful. I can hardly wait for the restaurant!

thanks to PJ and the other volunteers that make such places possible.

Lance, I echo your sentiment about the museum, and about its volunteers, and especially about PJ in particular (because he's our homie). What is most remarkable, is that the fact that the terminal is still there is more accidental than anything- the city of Houston just sorta never got around to tearing it down, and it sat derelict and unused for decades.

It's a jewel!

I wish someone had had the foresight to preserve the terminal at Amon Carter Field; it was incredible.

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to bump this thread again. We are still having these events at the museum on the 3rd Saturday of every month. I especially wanted to draw your attention to our Saturday, January 17, 2009 event, which will be Cessna Day! We're trying to get Cessna's of all shapes, sizes, and vintages on our ramp that day. It's a great excuse for a long cross-country to get out of the cold, cold, north (it was 73degF here today, BTW).

Notable guests so far include*:

The beautiful 1959 Cessna 172 which the museum will be raffling off (BTW, raffle tickets make great Christmas gifts for pilots, and proceeds go to a good cause!):

raffle_172_055.JPG

The Texas Children's Hospital Cessna Citation Air Ambulance:

TCH_and_Museum_long_shot_2.jpg

And Dr. John Coale's Cessna 210, which he flew solo around the world from January 4 - February 15, 2004 (http://www.n30ew.com).

EWA2ASm.jpg

*Airplane appearances are subject to change.

Hope to see some of you there, and non-Cessna's are also welcome! (Spike!)

Well shucks, I wish I could get Bill Signs to fly his 210 there; he has been on every continent on the planet with it (yes, including Antarctica); but, the engine is in overhaul (2,650 hours on the bottom end, 2,050 hours on the cylinders, and it all looked outstanding).

Reminds me... I have to get a ticket or two for this year's raffle. Somebody got "my" 140 by mistake last year...:skeptical:

Reminds me... I have to get a ticket or two for this year's raffle. Somebody got "my" 140 by mistake last year...:skeptical:

Don't feel bad... they got my 140, too. :smilewinkgrin:

Thread bump - we had a fantastic Wings & Wheels this past Saturday, as we had 'Experimental Aircraft Day'! We set a new record with 22 aircraft on the ramp! We had 17 RV's of various models, 2 Cessna 172's, a Navion, the museum's raffle Cessna 175, and a Navy T-34C on a dual cross-country instructional flight from NAS Corpus Christi! It was a great event, and a great day. You can see a recap and photos on the museum's website here: http://www.1940airterminal.org/WingsAndWheels/2009/08.

Be sure to join us next month on Saturday, September 19, 2009 for Wings & Wheels - A Salute to Women in Aviation!

Another thread bump - Wings & Wheels - Women in Aviation Day is this Saturday! Come on down to the museum and visit with representatives from various organizations such as Girls With Wings, The Ninety-Nines, Women in Aviation International, Women Soaring, and others! The event is from 10:00a - 5:00p at William P. Hobby Airport (KHOU) in Houston. Admission is waived for all visitors who fly in, and that includes lunch. We hope to see you there!

Sorry, have to go to Austin for football.

Thread bump again...

This Saturday, October 17, we are actually hosting two - yes, two - events! First, we are hosting the Wings & Wheels - Hobby Hangar Hop Preview Party from 11:00a - 3:00p. This Wings & Wheels event will feature many of the aircraft that will be on display that evening at our first-ever Hobby Hangar Hop hangar dance that night! Additionally, the producers and director of the new movie Barnstorming will be on-hand to show a preview of the film and answer your questions. Admission is $10/adults and $5/children and it is waived for anyone who flies in. It includes admission to the museum, static vehicle and aircraft displays, and lunch.

Then, starting at 6:00p that evening, we are hosting the Hobby Hangar Hop! This will be a 1940's-style hangar dance featuring the Houston Big Band playing live tunes throughout the night. During dinner, you will be treated to the Houston premier of the new movie Barnstorming, with the producers and director of the film on-hand to discuss it and answer your questions. After dinner, dancing will resume with the newly-restored B-17G Flying Fortress "Texas Raiders" and other classic aircraft as the backdrop, and there will be a silent auction. Tables of 10 are available for $750.00 for museum and Commemorative Air Force members and $1000.00 for non-members. Individual tickets are available for $75.00 for museum and CAF members and $100.00 for non-members. Event underwriter opportunities are also available. PM me or call the museum at 713-454-1940 for more info!

Lastly, on Saturday, November 21, will will be hosting Wings & Wheels - A Salute to Veterans from 10:00a - 5:00p. This is a warbird fly-in, and we will have several warbirds on display (subject to availability). Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children, and will be waived if you fly-in or if you present a military ID. Antique warbird rides might be available for an additional fee (subject to availability).

We hope to see you at these events!

Thread bump again.

Here are the upcoming Wings & Wheels events for the next few months:

Saturday, January 16, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Choppers & Choppers!

Come join us from 10:00a – 5:00p at The 1940 Air Terminal Museum for Wings & Wheels – Choppers & Choppers, featuring Helicopters and Motorcycles! Bring your chopper (either kind) in to the museum on this day and join in the fun! Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children, and includes access to the museum, static aircraft and vehicle displays, and lunch! Admission is waived for anyone who flies in! We hope to see you there!

As an added bonus, Vertex Helicopters will be offering short helicopter rides around the pattern for only $25/person!

Saturday, February 20, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Business Aviation Day!

Join us as we celebrate the important role aircraft play in our nation’s economy. Business aviation day will feature a variety of modern and vintage business aircraft on display, as well as special programs, lunch, museum admission and tours and more.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Cessna Day/Let's Go Flying Day!

From the most popular and prolific training airplanes in the world, the Cessna 152 & Cessna 172, to cabin-class twins like the Cessna 421, and even to the fastest civilian jet in the world, the Cessna Citation X, the company that Clyde Cessna started has always and continues to make great airplanes.

We would like to welcome any and all Cessnas, from early 120’s, 140’s, and 195’s to modern 350’s, 400’s, and Citation jets to our ramp on this day! Also on this day, come meet representatives from several local flight schools and take the first steps toward realizing your dream of becoming a pilot!

All Wings & Wheels events run from 10:00a - 5:00p. I hope to see you there!

More upcoming Wings & Wheels events:

Saturday, April 17, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Women in Aviation Day and Cessna Day, Take Two!

Join us for this Wings & Wheels day as we salute all of the women who have contributed to the field of aviation over the years.

We will have representatives from women s aviation organizations The Ninety-Nines, Women in Aviation International, Girls With Wings, and many others on-hand for this event, and we would love to have you, too!

Also, we are pleased to welcome pilot and filmmaker Monika Petrillo to the museum to screen her movie, "Flyabout"! She will be on-hand to discuss the film and to sign copies of the DVD, which are for sale in the museum gift shop! Thanks to the Ninety-Nines and Women in Aviation International chapters who made this possible!

http://www.flyaboutmovie.com

opening-page_03.jpg

Lastly, since March's Cessna Day event was a washout with the weather, we are making this into a makeshift 'Cessna Day' as well! So, come on down!

It runs from 10:00a - 5:00p and admission is $10 for adults, and $5 for children 12 and under and includes access to the museum, static aircraft and vehicle displays, the movie screening, and lunch. Girl Scouts and members of any of the women's aviation organizations represented get in for half price. Admission is waived for those who fly in.

We hope to see you there!

Saturday, May 15, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Beechcraft Day and National Learn to Fly Day!

Calling all Beechcraft!

Since Walter Beech came out with his first airplane, the Beechcraft Company has come out with many, many types of aircraft, and has established themselves as the lead manufacturer of aircraft for fast, safe, private transportation.

On this Wings & Wheels day, we pay tribute to this great company and line of aircraft by welcoming Beechcraft of all models to the museum. From early-model Staggerwings to late-model King Airs and BeechJets, we welcome them all!

Also, May 15 will be the first National Learn to Fly Day! As part of this event, we will invite local flight schools from our March Wings & Wheels to return and we will have a special presentation in the afternoon about learning to fly!

The Wings & Wheels event runs from 10:00a - 5:00p and admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under, which includes access to the museum, static aircraft and vehicle displays, the Learn to Fly presentation, and lunch. Admission is waived for visitors who fly in.

The Learn to Fly presentation will take place at 3:00p, and admission to that is free if you arrive after 2:00p and present your ticket from http://www.learntoflyday.com. Anyone arriving prior to 2:00p will need to pay the Wings & Wheels admission, unless they fly in.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Recreational Aviation Day!

Join us for this Wings & Wheels event as we salute the Recreational Aviation Foundation and all those that use aircraft in recreational or back-country flying! Stay tuned, as we may even offer the ability to 'camp out' at the museum for those who fly in! You can find out more about the RAF at http://www.recreationalaviationfoundation.org.

Admission to the event will be $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under, and this includes access to the museum, static aircraft and vehicle displays, and lunch. Admission is waived for anyone who flies in.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Raffle Day!

Join us for this Wings & Wheels event and witness as we draw the winner of the 2009-2010 Raffle Plane - a beautifully restored 1958 Cessna 175! Starting at the July Wings & Wheels last year, we started selling raffle tickets for this play for $50 each, and on July 17, it will be going home with one lucky winner. Get your raffle tickets by calling the museum, visiting the museum, or coming to see us at one of our live appearances. Follow the raffle plane on Twitter at http://twitter.com/N9379B or on FlightAware at http://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N9379B.

Admission to Wings & Wheels is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. This includes access to the museum, static aircraft and vehicle displays, and lunch. Admission is waived for anyone who flies in.

DSC09413.png

Saturday, August 21, 2010 - Wings & Wheels - Experimental Aircraft Day!

Many hundreds of hours of work go into building your own aircraft at home.

Even if you start with a kit, there is still a tremendous amount of fabrication and assembly to be done. But, if you ask anyone who has built their own airplane, it is worth it for at the end, you have an airplane that is custom-fit and custom-designed to your choosing.

Join us on this day to see some of these home-built custom creations, as well as many other Experimental-category airplanes!

Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. Admission includes access to the museum, static aircraft and vehicle displays, and lunch! Admission is waived for all visitors who fly in.

normal_DSC01467.jpg

I hope you all can make it out to some of our events! Flying in to Hobby Airport is really easy in a single-engine piston airplane... just check out the museum's Wings & Wheels Page (http://www.1940airterminal.org/WingsAndWheels/) or the Resources page at http://www.houstonpilots.net.

Fly safe!

Last edited:
Back