Wings Weekend - GSO - Greensboro, NC

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
I am posting this as a pitch for CFI volunteers, but if you are a pilot looking to participate in the Wings Program this is a well organized event.

For the CFIs:

"CFI's Needed For Wings Weekend at GTCC, GSO Airport"
Topic: CFI's Needed For Wings Weekend
On April 21, 2006 at 6:00 PM
260 North Regional Road

Greensboro, NC 27409

Directions:
I-40, exit 210, go north on North Regional road, GTCC Aviation Center 1 mile on the right, just over the bridge.
Directions:
Attention CFI's, we need your help at our annual Spring Wings Weekend at GTCC/GSO on April 22-23, 2006. We will have a CFI meeting/free supper on Friday April 21 at 6 PM at GTCC Aviation center. I will explain all of the details at the meeting. You may be able to renew your CFI by participating. Call me at (336) 662-1009 or register on line at faasafety.gov or e-mail me at larry.f.lambert@faa.gov.

As of yesterday, there were 44 instructors signed up to help, as well as 300 pilots who plan to attend the function! This is my first wings weekend, is it normal to have this many attend?

ednowlin said:
As of yesterday, there were 44 instructors signed up to help, as well as 300 pilots who plan to attend the function! This is my first wings weekend, is it normal to have this many attend?

For GSO, yes, I also attended one in Rocky Mt./Wilson,NC with the same
kind of turnout! Safety MGR. Larry Lambert, does a OUTSTANDING job working with pilots and cfi's. When he says " I am with the FAA and here to help"...he means it!!!
Even if you cannot fly, attending the different seminars is worth the time invested.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Even if you cannot fly, attending the different seminars is worth the time invested.

Thanks fo rthe info KD... because the weather may not be ideal on Sat. I was wondering what would happen. See you there, if you go!

Nice surprise today--I met Ed Nowlin at the CFI meeting tonight. With any luck I might meet some other folks tomorrow or Sunday. I hope some of you can take advantage of the Wings program despite the weather.

HPNFlyGirl said:
KD are you coming to GSO this weekend?

I only wish, as your wx is going to be crppy, here in the very southern tip of new Jersey ,we are expecting 2 in of rain Sat. I would like to attend but looks like mothers day weekend will be my next time HOME.

Saw your thread about questions to ask CFI....Did you ever find out where that scoundrel that ran off w/ your moneys is??? I am sooooo tempted to mention his name, I"ll leave that one up to you. Glad to hear you are returning to training.. good luck with your search. Have you considered that flying club at TTA that used to be at IGX ...dont know the new name. Drew Bair.......
can give you info on it , I believe he joined to get his IR..
KD

I joined Wings of Carolina back in 2002. I was NOT impressed with them at all. Yeah Drew finished his IR there and he was NOT impressed with them either.

Well I am off to GSO Wings Weekend. Hate you couldnt make it KD. If I see Jim there I will send my love for you.

Won't make it this year, but I've been a volunteer instructor at the NC Wings since it first began in the mid 80s. Tom Jones the previous SPM got the program going and then Larry took over with the help of the NC DOT aviation folks. These people present some of the best Wings Weekends in the country and one can find some of the best pilot fellowship and seminars anywhere. Kudos to Larry, David and all the volunteers for the best Wings Weekends.

Last edited:
I hope the changeable weather didn't dampen things too much. (no pun intended)

jdwatson said:
I hope the changeable weather didn't dampen things too much. (no pun intended)

Saturday was a bit tough. Based on rumors only, I think I was one of 2-3 CFIs willing to fly Saturday, but then again, there weren't many pilots wanting to fly, either. I managed to get in 2 of the 3 required hours with one pilot, but only because we left early, ran north, flew the first hour in VMC, and because he and the aircraft were IFR capable and current and we could do the second hour as instrument work in IMC. Sunday, OTOH, was a beautiful day. I spent Saturday night in Chapel Hill. Sunday morning, ~7 AM, I left Horace Williams in 1/4mi, VV 100'. I was on top with unlimite visibility less than 1 minute later; GSO's weather was gorgeous when I got there.

Sadly, I was working. I did get to listen to RDU's approach freqs on my handheld as I was working. Saturday's weather certainly made for a lot of interesting listening.

Maybe next year.

I had a good time at the wings weekend... I met Ed Guthrie, and was wanting to meet more of you... I flew one pilot in my C-150, "brave soul", on Sun. and went to a seminar on Sat. Very enjoyable weekend.

Back